GARY'S VERY FIRST SNACK STICKS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
GARY’S VERY FIRST SNACK STICKS
 ​
I have wanted to make snack sticks for a while, and after seeing all the Fantastic looking snack sticks that have recently been posted, that did it. I ordered 21mm Collagen casings and........ well here it is

The Store had 80/20 ground Angus chuck on sale so I bought two

3 pounders. I was undecided on which recipe to use and since I had also ordered AC Legg’s snack stick seasoning I made half and half. The other was Bear’s recipe kicked up a little with more red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper.

I was amazed at how much better these are than that store bought stuff. I’m hooked now, can’t wait to make the next batch.

8:00 AM – Stuffed casings

8:30 AM – Hung on back of chairs for an hour, and fired up my smoker

9:30 AM – Hung snack sticks in my smoker 100° for an hour

10:30 AM – Added a split of pecan and bumped temp to 125°

11:30 AM – Bumped temp to 140°

12:30 PM – Bumped temp to 150°

1:30 PM – Bumped temp to 160°

2:30 PM – Bumped temp to 170°

3:30 PM – Bumped temp to 190°

4:30 PM – Internal Temp was 164° - 170°

Removed from smoker and hung between t chairs outside to cool.

6:30 PM – Cut snack stick into pieces, stacked on wire racks and into fridge for a couple of days.

Spices ready to go

AC Legg's Seasoning

Both batches mixed and rested in the fridge overnight Ready for stuffing

I added a little over a half a cup of water to each batch

Collagen casinging on, stuffer loaded

You can probably tell this is my first time  "A little Overstuffed"

AC Legg's 

Bear's with the strings all drying a bit

Everybody on the smoker

100º for the first hour

Bumped to 125º for another hour then increased temp 10º every hour till 190º

Out of the smoker and cooling down

All cut up, on the racks and in the fridge for a couple of days

Flash washed out my end shot

Bagged and back in the fridge (Sent have with my two grandson's )

That's it     Thank's for looking

Last edited:
Wow,something new for you,didn't think it was possible! I would like to make some but am to lazy and only buy some occasionally due to the hit and miss quality of sticks. Now when you toss some cheese in there ship them my way!

Looks like you've found a new obsession! Once you taste the real things, you'll never go back to the pre made stuff!

I love to make snack sticks.

Points for your first!

Hey Gary

They might be "over stuffed" (if you say so), but they sure look good to me!!  I have to agree with you on taste--I've eaten both store-bought seasoning and home made.  No comparison at all--home made recipe wins hands down.

I'm guessing this won't be your last batch, huh.

points.gif

Gary

Thanks guys  I do love these things  and super easy to make  They will a regular

Gary

Gary, Looking really good, as usual. When do you sleep? It seems to me that you are always thinking of something new to smoke and it always turns out great. :points:

Nice Job, Gary!!
drool.gif
----------------------------
points.gif

Those all look Beautiful---Both kinds!
drool.gif

I never tried my recipe in skins---Glad you like them!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Fantastic looking sticks.

How are the casings? Mine peeled right off easy so I removed them

Thanks Guy's  for the comments and points, much appreciated

Gary

Very nice,Gary! I've been wanting to try stix for. a while now. Got the 1/2" tube. Got the collagen casings. Just haven't ordered the 116 Leggs. Nice seeing them hanging on the chairs. My wife would be passed out on the floor LOL! You're my hero!

:points:

Well I got some feedback from #2 son and daughter-in-law   Son liked them both but said more heat needs to be hotter, DIL liked them but were a little to smokey for her.

So next time Hotter and less smoke

Gary

Reactions: Bearcarver
Very nice,Gary! I've been wanting to try stix for. a while now. Got the 1/2" tube. Got the collagen casings. Just haven't ordered the 116 Leggs. Nice seeing them hanging on the chairs. My wife would be passed out on the floor LOL! You're my hero!

points.gif
Shhhhhh    My wife was at work

Gary

Thanks Brian

Gary

Thanks Duke & Al   I appreciate the comments and the Points

Gary

Looks good. I don't even look at mixes. Guys around here have tried and true recipes and you know what's in them. Bear ain't tossin' no floor sweepings into his stix...JJ

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky