Garlic Infused Oil on Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iamphilsworth

Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Hey everyone, first post here.

I have a highland offset and I made Tri Tip last weekend and did one with the classic salt pepper and garlic powder and I had to do another without garlic because my fiancé just found out she needs to be on a strict low fodmap diet, which garlic is a big no no. She can however have garlic infused oil, so I found some at Trader Joe’s.
I’m smoking another two tri tips tomorrow and wanted to get some feedback on using the oil. I’ve read that some people drizzle it over the meat once it’s done but I was thinking of using it as a binder for the salt and pepper.

what are y’all’s thoughts?

Thanks in advanced

No problem using it as a binder, and it's possible the quality is good enough to to use it as a 'dipping oil' or on a salad, so it would work on a steak too. There is a technique where you season your cutting board with some oil, herbs, a squeeze of roasted lemon and a little salt. Then when your steak or other meat comes off the pit, it goes on the board to rest. When it's carved, the meat juices mix with all the aromatics on the board and you can move everything around to really get the meat coated with flavor. We will bring the cutting board to the table and only dish up some sides on smaller plates, then select pieces of meat one-at-a-time.

No problem using it as a binder, and it's possible the quality is good enough to to use it as a 'dipping oil' or on a salad, so it would work on a steak too. There is a technique where you season your cutting board with some oil, herbs, a squeeze of roasted lemon and a little salt. Then when your steak or other meat comes off the pit, it goes on the board to rest. When it's carved, the meat juices mix with all the aromatics on the board and you can move everything around to really get the meat coated with flavor. We will bring the cutting board to the table and only dish up some sides on smaller plates, then select pieces of meat one-at-a-time.
That's a pro tip for sure

I looked around to see if somebody has given the cutting board as a serving platter method a name.... and this dude calls it 'dressing the cutting board', which sounds good to me (at least it's not a French term). If you have never put roasted lemon juice on roasted meats (you can toss a 1/4 of a lemon on the grate until it gets opaque), it's wonderful. Maybe you'll impress your fiancé .

Another advantage to doing this is you only need one steak for two people because it's kind of interactive, or if you do want to cook 2 steaks, cook one.... then in 14 minutes start #2 and repeat the same cutting board drill. The best dinners are at least an hour long.

Try BOTH! An oil rubdown to hold Seasoning and a Drizzle on the plated Beef.
Infused oils taste slightly different Cooked and out of the bottle. Combining both adds greater Depth.
thirdeye thirdeye offered a masterful suggestion! Fresh Rosemary and Thyme minced, some of your Garlic oil, Salt and Pepper, a pinch of Red Pepper Flake...Slice and toss the Steak in that! Would be Magical!...JJ

Y'all just gave me some great ideas for mine and emily's anniversary meal Tuesday. Definitely elevated what I was already planning. Love this forum

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I looked around to see if somebody has given the cutting board as a serving platter method a name.... and this dude calls it 'dressing the cutting board', which sounds good to me (at least it's not a French term). If you have never put roasted lemon juice on roasted meats (you can toss a 1/4 of a lemon on the grate until it gets opaque), it's wonderful. Maybe you'll impress your fiancé .

Another advantage to doing this is you only need one steak for two people because it's kind of interactive, or if you do want to cook 2 steaks, cook one.... then in 14 minutes start #2 and repeat the same cutting board drill. The best dinners are at least an hour long.

I am trying this out for sure. Thank you so much!

Tell me more about this roasted lemon thing.... How does the flavor change ?? Sweeter?? Not bitter ?? I'm thinking of trying it in the oven... Suggested temperature...

Tell me more about this roasted lemon thing.... How does the flavor change ?? Sweeter?? Not bitter ?? I'm thinking of trying it in the oven... Suggested temperature...

The acidity of the lemon juice (especially when roasted) just sort of wakes up the flavor of veggies, and meats. Roasting reduces the tang or tartness of fresh lemon juice. You can also use less salt as the juice kind of tricks the taste buds. Bottom line is, lemon (and sometimes lime) juice pairs well with many things and it's easy enough to put a 1/3 of a lemon on the corner of your grill

I got into using a squeeze of roasted or baked lemon wedges 1) when eating at a Brazilian restaurant where you have a variety of meats served on skewers, I cook a lot over live fire on skewers... and 2) with grilled shrimp and king crab, and 3) when grilling salmon or steelhead trout. I never turn my fillets on the grill so the lemon flavors the meat during cooking, but it's great to squeeze some on while eating. We also saute fish with the Meuniere method which is lightly pan frying, then deglazing the skillet with a pat of butter, a squeeze of lemon and adding some parsley, and this is spooned over the fillet. (Darn it, my joke about a French term did make it into this thread after all.) :emoji_laughing:
These are lolipop drumsticks
4sTZPxi.jpg
jFjWxuq.jpg
KlnYeTz.jpg
ULM6LnB.jpg
yabCI5P.jpg
GTRiIaB.jpg
In this crab recipe I make a compound butter which is brushed on the legs a couple of hours before baking, and once during baking, then served at the table. The lemon gets baked for 15 to 20 minutes BEFORE the crab goes on the rack.
saz9Ch6.jpg

Reactions: daveomak
I love garlic anything, and never really thought of putting it on a steak, DUH!
Garlic infused oil, wow. However I do put lemon juice on my steaks with melted butter
My new favorite oil, instead of butter. Can’t wait to try it!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky