Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Still no luck on decent pickling cukes. So I'm using English cucumbers again. This time around they are cut into snack chunks. And each jar got the same love from Al's recipe. Plus 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
View attachment 438355

Looks good Steve!
Glad to see your keeping busy!
Al

Reactions: Steve H
Today was day 5 so...

20200402_100317.jpg

And the verdict is...OMG! These are amazing! The first one I tried I decided to share with my wife...I never got it back. And she's been back to the jar since. Think I might have to make more.

Thanks again Al!
Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw and Steve H
Today was day 5 so...

View attachment 438396

And the verdict is...OMG! These are amazing! The first one I tried I decided to share with my wife...I never got it back. And she's been back to the jar since. Think I might have to make more.

Thanks again Al!
Ryan

Your very welcome Ryan!
I'm so happy to hear you like the recipe!
Al

Now I need some advice. Made both pickles and asparagus using the same recipe, pickles are awesome! While the asparagus is good it has gotten really tart...kind of like biting into a lime. Both pickles and asparagus jars were opened at same time so not vac sealed any longer. What possibly caused the tartness in the asparagus and what can I change to make it not so tart? I am thinking of adding a little heat to it, but not alot...wife said so!

Thanks
Ryan

Also I believe it said to leave no headroom when vac sealing, on my first try I didn't leave any or not much headroom but did suck some liquid into the hose. Did have slice of onion on top also. Is this normal? Don't want to damage my new vacmaster.
Still learning from the experts

Thanks
Ryan

I just fill mine until the veggies are fully submerged and the fluid is within 1/4" from rim. I do this because I don't want to risk bringing liquid back into my sealer. With asparagus. I only keep them under vacuum for a day. They absorb the brine pretty quick. Or don't vacuum seal them at all.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Also I believe it said to leave no headroom when vac sealing, on my first try I didn't leave any or not much headroom but did suck some liquid into the hose. Did have slice of onion on top also. Is this normal? Don't want to damage my new vacmaster.

Thanks
Ryan

Ryan, morning... I think you need to leave headspace in the jars in order to have a vacuum...
Pressure canned foods need 1/2" or so... same with water bath canned stuff...
and with vacuumed stuff.... If you don't have a "space".... you can't remove the molecules to create a pressure difference from inside to outside the container....

Thanks
Ryan

I leave about somewhere between 1/4 & 1/2 inch head space.
And be careful about getting liquid in the hose cause there is a sensor inside the machine & it will cause a part to fail. Ask me how I know this!
Anyhow it's an easy part to change & VacMaster stocks them.
Al

I read a lot of this thread last year, but not all of it. I made 6 pints before powdery mildew shut down my growing season last year and they were great. This year I put in more plants and have 12 pints in the fridge for a week and will be doing about 6 quarts tomorrow.

The only thing I got curious about was the vinegar ratio. I know these are not hot packed so they are not shelf stable, but the vinegar seems kind of low compared to other recipes, though those are for hot packing.

How long will this keep in the fridge with a 3:1 ratio and would a 2:1 help them keep any longer?

To hot pack these for shelf stable I assume to keep the same recipe but just go to a 1:1 ratio?

Reactions: SmokinAl
I read a lot of this thread last year, but not all of it. I made 6 pints before powdery mildew shut down my growing season last year and they were great. This year I put in more plants and have 12 pints in the fridge for a week and will be doing about 6 quarts tomorrow.

The only thing I got curious about was the vinegar ratio. I know these are not hot packed so they are not shelf stable, but the vinegar seems kind of low compared to other recipes, though those are for hot packing.

How long will this keep in the fridge with a 3:1 ratio and would a 2:1 help them keep any longer?

To hot pack these for shelf stable I assume to keep the same recipe but just go to a 1:1 ratio?
I don't have an answer to the shelf stable question but I have some made in August of 20 that are still good! I made a bunch!

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinAl

I normally do 2:1 on mine for fridge pickles. After a year. They are still fine. Though not as crispy. Still better then store bought. I do vacuum seal mine. That probably helps with them staying this crispy.

20220718_040735.jpg

Sorry, blurry picture. These were done late last summer. They are still very crispy and tasty.

I normally do 2:1 on mine for fridge pickles. After a year. They are still fine. Though not as crispy. Still better then store bought. I do vacuum seal mine. That probably helps with them staying this crispy.

View attachment 637952
Sorry, blurry picture. These were done late last summer. They are still very crispy and tasty.
Thanks. I think this batch I will try bumping to 2:1. I vacuum seal as well to speed up the process. With myself and my kids I don't expect any of them to make it a full year. The only reason I see needing to hot pack is if I run out of fridge space.

I don't have an answer to the shelf stable question but I have some made in August of 20 that are still good! I made a bunch!

Ryan

View attachment 637952

Thanks. I think this batch I will try bumping to 2:1. I vacuum seal as well to speed up the process. With myself and my kids I don't expect any of them to make it a full year. The only reason I see needing to hot pack is if I run out of fridge space.

There is a big difference between hot packed shelf stable pickles & these fridge pickles. These pickles are a lot more crispy. You will never get as crispy a pickle as you get without cooking them. However the drawback is you have to have the fridge space.
Al

Reactions: ihocky2 and Steve H

There is a big difference between hot packed shelf stable pickles & these fridge pickles. These pickles are a lot more crispy. You will never get as crispy a pickle as you get without cooking them. However the drawback is you have to have the fridge space.
Al

I put up 7 quarts last night for the refrigerator. The only problem I keep running into is keeping the veggies submerged. Even with no head space and everything submerged to start with the vacuum sealer keeps pulling some liquid out and the air that is inside the cucumbers creates head space at the top, then the cucumbers float to the top and a some of it is now not submerged. Even if I poke around and make sure there is no air bubbles this still happens.

Any tips or tricks to avoid this or is it just part of the process and they'll be okay?

I put up 7 quarts last night for the refrigerator. The only problem I keep running into is keeping the veggies submerged. Even with no head space and everything submerged to start with the vacuum sealer keeps pulling some liquid out and the air that is inside the cucumbers creates head space at the top, then the cucumbers float to the top and a some of it is now not submerged. Even if I poke around and make sure there is no air bubbles this still happens.

Any tips or tricks to avoid this or is it just part of the process and they'll be okay?
I always put a 1/4 “ slice of onion about the size of the jar on top to keep the pickles submerged.
Al

Reactions: ihocky2
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky