Gander Mountain 5 pound stainless stuffer for $54.99 through 11/14/2015

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I dont know about the quality, but $150 for a meat slicer, a stuffer and a grinder, seems like a fricken steal.  Arent these gizmos all made by the same manufacturers anyway?

I noticed that slicer also ... tempting to add to the stuffer order. I think I might have to see that one in person to see how the quality looks.

I dont know about the quality, but $150 for a meat slicer, a stuffer and a grinder, seems like a fricken steal.  Arent these gizmos all made by the same manufacturers anyway?
I'm not sure who makes Gander's stuff but they don't make it themselves. I have looked at most of their items in store and they seem to be middle of the road quality so at those prices it is a steal. 

One thing to note about the stuffer though.  It doesnt have metal gears, it doesnt come with the breakfast sausage tube (~$15), and it doesnt come with clamps (cost unknown).  So still a fair price, but those extras are going to set you back. 

Hey mum.. Looking at the gander mountain stuffer on the web flyer the flyer is showing the stuffer having metal gears. don't know if its a miss print but the product # is different than the one with the plastic gears. if this puppy has metal gears I am definitely going to get one for that price. i don't have a small stuffer anymore....

The gander mountain product # is 754202 with the plastic gears. The one advertised is 754204. Hope it has  metal gears. I'm going to call the store. i have one local to me

I agree.  If it has metal gears then this is a sweet price.  You already have the clamps and breakfast sausage tube, so you're all set.  Nice find OP.

The one I bought last year has black plastic gears, they look like metal. I had to do a double check to be sure. They seem stouter than the white plastic gears, but not the same as metal.

Can you find the burr and file it off...... are you using a lubricant on the screw... I use a food safe lube....

To be honest I hadn't even thought of looking for a burr, I'll have to do that tonight as I have 30# of Summer Sausage to be stuffed. I oiled it the first time but haven't since, I guess that would be a good thing to do every time. Thanks for the suggestions!

To those concerned about the "plastic" gears, don't be.

There are quite a few of us here that have been using these models with the plastic (actually I think they are a type of nylon) gears for several years with no problems.  They key is do not over stress them.  The quickest way to over stress and possibly break them is to keep cranking when the stuffer's plunger has bottomed out in the housing.  If you pay attention to where you are in the stuffing process, this should not be an issue.  I mark my threaded rod with a black sharpie pen to give me a visual indication of when the plunger is at the bottom of the housing.  That way I know to slow down and not keep cranking when it's bottomed out.

Remember these are supposed to be inexpensive stuffers to get more people into using them.  But if you take care of them, they will last. The 5 pound models from Gander, Northern Tool, Cabelas and others all appear to be from the same assembly line with different brand stickers on the stuffing housing.

There are some who have used the black metal LEM gears to replace broken nylon gears, but I have read that LEM has changed the design of their rods so the gears do not work with the other brands.  I don't know if this is in fact true, but it would appear that you could buy the two gear set and a LEM rod and still be in business.  On the other hand, it makes no marketing sense for LEM to change to be incompatible with others as people will still be buying the less expensive models but LEM would be loosing out on the sale of the metal replacement parts (or that's my logic anyway, better to make a little than to totally loose the business).

So, enjoy your lower buck 5 pound stuffers.......

$49.99 in their black Friday ad;
http://tgiblackfriday.com/Gander-Mountain/ad#page-15
The only issue I have with mine is I get brass shavings from the main screw
I have a 11# 2-speed model on my wish list ;)
I picked up a 5lb Kitchener stuffer for "parts " that was returned because of the brass shavings. ($20) When i pulled the nylon gears out to check i found that there is a bushing with brass threads pressed into the big gear. These were stripped from too much force when it bottomed out. Have some new nylon gears on order. Just repairing it to give to a friend that wants to get started on his own sausages.

When I ordered mine last week it was on back order. There back in stock now Mine shipped yesterday. Can't wait to get it and start making sausage again

There are quite a few of us here that have been using these models with the plastic (actually I think they are a type of nylon) gears for several years with no problems.  They key is do not over stress them.  The quickest way to over stress and possibly break them is to keep cranking when the stuffer's plunger has bottomed out in the housing.  If you pay attention to where you are in the stuffing process, this should not be an issue.  I mark my threaded rod with a black sharpie pen to give me a visual indication of when the plunger is at the bottom of the housing.  That way I know to slow down and not keep cranking when it's bottomed out.

Remember these are supposed to be inexpensive stuffers to get more people into using them.  But if you take care of them, they will last. The 5 pound models from Gander, Northern Tool, Cabelas and others all appear to be from the same assembly line with different brand stickers on the stuffing housing.

There are some who have used the black metal LEM gears to replace broken nylon gears, but I have read that LEM has changed the design of their rods so the gears do not work with the other brands.  I don't know if this is in fact true, but it would appear that you could buy the two gear set and a LEM rod and still be in business.  On the other hand, it makes no marketing sense for LEM to change to be incompatible with others as people will still be buying the less expensive models but LEM would be loosing out on the sale of the metal replacement parts (or that's my logic anyway, better to make a little than to totally loose the business).

Joe (Boykjo) gave me his 5 lb stuffer (that's why he doesn't have one).. It needed the nylon gears replaced... as cheap as they are I got two sets... BUT... here's what I did when I installed the new ones... If you think about it.. the big gear is on top of the small one.. so in turn when you start stuffing, the big gear will be pushed up (in theory) against the frame of the stuffer.. pushing it away from the small gear... so I put the big gear on the bottom (underneath the small gear).. my thinking is it will be pushed up into the small gear as pressure is put on the big gear... It's working great so far.. the only difference is, the crank turns in the opposite direction... works better for us left handers anyways...LOL....

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak

Joe (Boykjo) gave me his 5 lb stuffer (that's why he doesn't have one).. It needed the nylon gears replaced... as cheap as they are I got two sets... BUT... here's what I did when I installed the new ones... If you think about it.. the big gear is on top of the small one.. so in turn when you start stuffing, the big gear will be pushed up (in theory) against the frame of the stuffer.. pushing it away from the small gear... so I put the big gear on the bottom (underneath the small gear).. my thinking is it will be pushed up into the small gear as pressure is put on the big gear... It's working great so far.. the only difference is, the crank turns in the opposite direction... works better for us left handers anyways...LOL....

Keith, morning...... What a great engineering observation... I'm gonna look at my stuffer and see if that change can be made....

Thank you for sharing that modification......

Dave

Keith, morning...... What a great engineering observation... I'm gonna look at my stuffer and see if that change can be made....

Thank you for sharing that modification......

Dave
I moved on to the 15 lb GM stuffer.... Been stuffing a lot of 20/22mm sheep's with it and I tell ya.....if this was a test for durability stuffing sticks with the 15 lb GM stuffer it has performed flawlessly under stressful conditions...... I should name the stufffer Timex

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky