Gameday wings - smoker vs grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawtsauc3

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
I'm trying to figure out which spot to cook my wings for the superbowl (yes i'm already doing prep before the prices on meat goes up). I picked up 2 chuck roasts and a pack of wings that i trimmed up yesterday, then i stuffed it all in the chest freezer. I've noticed wings double in price the week of the superbowl so this way I'll have some nice ones in advance. That said this has left me with a conundrum. I have a WSM that i plan to fire up that day for a smoke chuck roast, and I can't decide if i should try and sneak the wings on there towards the end, or if i should do them on the grill separately. Just curious what everyone's preferred method. The oven is also an option, just not as cool lol.

Reactions: kruizer
i'm with crazymoon, smoker then grill or throw them under your broiler to crisp them up. you could do them in the smoker the whole time but if ya want crispy skin you'll have to smoke at a higher temp.

Reactions: negolien
Any clue if i cooked to temp on the smoker, and then we re-heated around game time in the oven and/or air fryer if that would get crispy skin? I always have issues timing it in time for the game, so i figured if they're done at noon and I'm re-heating that also helps.

Another vote for grill with vortex. Best wings you’ll have. I’m not a big fan of smoked wings, I think they are just too Smokey. But if you want you can do them on the grill with a vortex and just put a chunk of wood over the vortex.

Any clue if i cooked to temp on the smoker, and then we re-heated around game time in the oven and/or air fryer if that would get crispy skin? I always have issues timing it in time for the game, so i figured if they're done at noon and I'm re-heating that also helps.
The great things about wings is you can smoke them ahead of time until they get just done and toss them on the grill to heat up and crisp the skin later.

Reactions: SKade
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky