Fruit Wood Chips For MES - What do you use?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

polishsmoker

Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
So, I have tried using my own pruning's from my apple, cherry & peach tree's with limited success.

What do you use?

If using your own pruning's - Should you season them first?

How long? 

I have also tried Cowboy Brand Chips purchased from Lowe's with limited success. 

What do you use?

Please tell me your Fruit Wood hints, tips and tricks

Thanks,Ted

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ted,

I checked, and I have Pecan, Cherry and Apple Cowboy chips from Lowe's. I've not had any issues using them. The nut/fruit chips get used for the "in between smokes" like smoking Canadian Bacon.

That said ... As Chef JimmyJ said, I mainly use an Amazen Pellets 18" tube smoker with the mailbox mod for most of my smoking. This provides a long period of smoke for pulled pork. I also use it for cold smoking bacon.

Ted,

I use Apple, Cherry, Peach, Mable, and Pecan chips from cowboy in my 40 MES. I mix Apple and Pecan for most smoke ( Beef prime rib, pork spare ribs, and pork chops). I use the MES cold smoker attachment for my 40 MES.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky