Fruit Cobbler...cake style (Peach on this one)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 13, 2012
Madison, AL
This is a recipe from Nellie Painter, a Teacher friend of my Grand-Mother's...from Greenville, Alabama.  We have made this for years.  You can use Canned fruit in this too!  We have even used Fruit Cocktail!

1/4 cup of softened butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup of plain flour

2 teaspoons of Baking Powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup sweet milk

3 cups of fresh fruit (cut up anyway you like)

1 cup of water (if you are using fresh fruits)

or 1 cup of the juice from the canned fruit

another 1/4 cup of sugar*

Mix all of the batter ingredients together. Place into a greased pan.  Put the cut fruit on top of the batter.  Sprinkle the 1/4 cup sugar* on top of the fruit.  Now pour the water/juice on last.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-50 minutes.

Here is the batter....and I added just a bit of cinnamon today to go with some peaches I had frozen.  (Needed to use them up)

Here is the cobbler ready to go into the pre-heated oven.

Here it is nice and warm out of the oven.  Yummmm!

In Southern Kitchens...there is always room for dessert after a good meal!

Today I did a stove top pot roast, with carrots, taters and onions.  Then I used some of my green beans from last Season. Made the breads and made some cornbread for the Hubby and the peach cobbler.

Kat

Last edited:
KathrynN, looks just like my grand ma's cobbler, thanks for sharing got this recipe copied and ready to try. Like you stated there's always room for a good dessert after a meal. Been doing some searches for different cobbler's here lately, mainly the topping's....Thanks!

Love this cobbler....so easy,.......but I really love a blackberry one with a crusty top too!

Kat

Love this!! Looks very similar to what my grandmother used to make. My grandfather was not a fan of sweets, except for peach cobbler. One question, "sweet milk", is that just regular milk as opposed to buttermilk, or is it sweeetened? Sorry, my southern dictionary has gone missing:)

Love this!! Looks very similar to what my grandmother used to make. My grandfather was not a fan of sweets, except for peach cobbler. One question, "sweet milk", is that just regular milk as opposed to buttermilk, or is it sweeetened? Sorry, my southern dictionary has gone missing:)
Its plain old milk.  Back in the day the recipe was written "sweet milk" to show the difference between that and butter milk.  Oleo....is in some of her recipes too.  That means margarine instead of butter in todays terms.

Kat (guess I am going to have to write a sticky of Southern Terms for SMF......
30.gif
)

I think I've got dessert planned out for dinner tomorrow.

Here's the menu so far:

Smoked pulled pork on a fresh (homemade) Keizer roll

Fresh peach cobbler as above.

Maybe a veggie also... we'll have to see but I think the bases are covered.

That looks good. I have to see whats in the freezer...JJ

drool.gif
 ..... that sounds like a great dinner and the peach cobbler looks delicious!

I'm learning!! If I get my way we'll be living in S.E. Georgia eventually, so I'll need to know these things. Thanks for the clarification.
Great looking cobbler Kat, where in SE Georgia? I'm in the Augusta area. Actually a little further SE than that. We might be neighbors soon huh?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky