Fresh Strawberry Pie ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey foamheart, I tried to make this yesterday.....Failed.

Can you shed some light on what may have gone wrong?

1). You listed 2-3lbs of strawberries, how can you fit that into a 9” crust? I packed it with about 2lbs and it was over flowing.

2). When I put the ingredients into the saucepan it never thickened up. Was it supposed to boil or just get hot?

3). Is the 3 tablespoons of Jello right? I ask as my pie has been in the fridge overnight and it is still liquid.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have. I’m just not sure where it went awry.

-Ken

You don't need any strawberries in the pie, just put in what you like. Don't cut the berries if possible. Look at the top picture, thats is only one layer of berries. Big berries work, small berries work, but you just want to fill the pie shell.

The purpose of the jell is not only to hold it together but to cover them all so they don't start weeping. Generally they won't last long enough to have that problem.

I really can't understand. The jello is enough to Thicken it when cool, AND so is the cornstarch when cooked. Your jell should be thick before you pour it over the pie, then thicken even more as it cools. Not completely set up, but it should be thick. It should have the consistency of a cream pie. You didn't substitute flour for cornstarch did you? It has to be boiled to thicken, Cornstarch will thicken just before boiling, but boiling does not hurt it.

Sorry it didn't work for you. Although I can't understand why.

Reactions: bdskelly
You don't need any strawberries in the pie, just put in what you like. Don't cut the berries if possible. Look at the top picture, thats is only one layer of berries. Big berries work, small berries work, but you just want to fill the pie shell.

The purpose of the jell is not only to hold it together but to cover them all so they don't start weeping.

I really can't understand. The jello is enough to harden it, AND so is the cornstarch. Your jell should be thick before you pour it over the pie, then thicken even more as it cools. It should have the consistency of a cream pie. You didn't substitute flour for cornstarch did you? It has to be boiled to thicken, Cornstarch will thicken just before boiling, but boiling does not hurt it.

Sorry it didn't work for you.
How about snozzberrys? Would they work?

How about snozzberrys? Would they work?

Only if they come from a large bulbous red snozzola! No green ones.

BTW making beet pickles tonight. I hate the red juice evenywhere but I do love beet pickles..... I sure do miss my Mom's. I actually swapped a quart of mom's beet pickles for ...... Well I was shocked and started getting 'em after that in a case of quarts at a time....>LOL

Yep,he forgot to mention the half dozen strawberry margaritas.:emoji_wink:

Thats a good idea and I have some fresh berries in the reefer and a new qt of faux 1800. I do have a jug of last years strawberry juice left in the kitchen though.....LOL. I am sitting here with a cold Shiner Bock while the second pot of beets boil.

Not making a strawberry pie this week, gonna try a honey key lime.

I showed Brian yesterday what I have to play with this week. And tomorrow the electrician is coming to properly install that 4 month old new stove. LOL

IMG_9689.JPG

It jumped in the piroque fulla strawberries, thats why its red.

BTW making beet pickles tonight. I hate the red juice evenywhere but I do love beet pickles..... I sure do miss my Mom's. I actually swapped a quart of mom's beet pickles for ...... Well I was shocked and started getting 'em after that in a case of quarts at a time....>LOL
You’ve been cooking family history for the last couple of weeks.

Had fresh strawberry shortcake last night....Soooo goood!!!

I think the strawberry festival is this weekend. Week after next if we don't get a flood will be de berries! The plants will be picked clean for berries to sell this weekend. white ones on the bottom and the large pretty red one covering the top of each flat.

Yep-festival this weekend. These were from one of the farmers, all good berries. So sweet he said don't let them sit for more than 2 days or they will go bad, so we made a bunch of strawberry sauce with 'em.

Don’t you smoke that strawberry snapper! Dagnabit

OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Whatcha gonna do with that fish Foam?

I know mom never used a recipe to bake fish, sad but true. I am thinking so I can't ruin the whole thing I'll take the filet off one side and bake the other attached. Baby Sis has mentioned a couple a times so far how much she likes Couvillon. And the freezer is sorta bare of seafood after lent now so I can't make a bouillabaisse which is what I am hungry for. I did get 10 lbs of peeled crawfish with the red snapper, so I could grill the filet and do a crawfish mornay sauce on top.... who knows whatever better start soon...LOL

Hey Foamy would you past on the recipe for the pickle beets. Would appreciate it.

Warren

Just gave Nanna the ingredients and the how too! Strawberries are near peak season here. Looking forward to the finished product she creates. I already know it will be awesome!

I'm at a loss. The She-Beast came back from a get away with her mom and sisters, bareing leftovers. Just in time, there was a 1 1/2 lb container of mixed strawberries and blueberries. Lights came on. Layer of blueberries then a layer of strawberries topped with whipped cream. Call it Red, White and Blueberry Pie !
I proceeded as above and followed the filler recipe to the letter. There was a bunch more filling than needed, so not wanting to be wasteful, I poured it in a bowl and set in fridge along with the pie. 48 hrs later the bowl is setup really well, but the pie is still liquid.
Is the something about blueberries that screws with the gel process. I remember reading something about pineapple will inhibit the gel for homemade jelly.
For whatever difference it makes the strawberries were halved and getting near overripe. The Blueberries were whole. I brought the filling just to a boil and it was just starting to thicken to the point it was leaving a thin film on the spoon as I stirred (stirred constantly). I ate the set-up portion tonight with the left over strawberries. Very tasty. Just can't figure why the pie portion didn't set.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky