• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fresh steelhead

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011
Some friends got 3 nice steelhead here on the Clearwater River in Idaho

filleted them out and brought them to me

My dry brine recipe is 4 cups of brown sugar to one cup of kosher salt

Out of the smoker at 145 IT,,, drizzled with warm honey and topped with crushed black pepper

They we're very pleased with the results

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Looking good from here!

All my life I really didn't care for salmon, but a LOT of you folks have made and shared recipes that now have me really looking forward to cool weather here so I can do some my self.  Each winter for the last 15 years I've made hot and cold smoked salmon for my bride and her mother, now I enjoy it as well!

Thanks for the show DS and points for being one that converted me!

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
DS They look great I thought you going to make some lox,when I seen the dry brine.Nice job on the smoke Points

Richie

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Oh Boy!

That is a beautiful batch of fish!

The color is fantastic!

Awesome job, Steve!

Point for sure!

Al

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011

Looking good from here!

All my life I really didn't care for salmon, but a LOT of you folks have made and shared recipes that now have me really looking forward to cool weather here so I can do some my self.  Each winter for the last 15 years I've made hot and cold smoked salmon for my bride and her mother, now I enjoy it as well!

Thanks for the show DS and points for being one that converted me!
CB I can't eat it,,,, I do some trading for bellies or pork but,,, this batch I kept 3  pieces for the bride she love it... 

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
That is some great lookin fish.    Great job.

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011

Gorgeous fish!!  How long did you smoke them for, and about what temp?  
SK, thanks,,,,, I start at 130 for an hr then bump to 145 for a hour then bump to 160 till they are done at IT,,,,, These took about 6hrs to do there were a few big chunks,,, 

Steve 

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
DS,

Very nice presentation.  Notice how much liquid Steelhead produces at the end of brining.  Very oily fish, similar to Silver Salmon.  I bet it tasted really yummy like.

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011

DS They look great I thought you going to make some lox,when I seen the dry brine.Nice job on the smoke Points

Richie
Thanks, Richie never made Lox yet,,,, This is a good brine to go by,,, even did salmon this way and it turned out great also.

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011

Oh Boy!

That is a beautiful batch of fish!

The color is fantastic!

Awesome job, Steve!

Point for sure!

Al
Thanks, Al, ya these were just caught the weekend before last, so ya really fresh,,,, Start of the big run here for us that come from the Pacific Ocean, We have one of the largest hatchery runs in the US. 

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014

Richie
Thanks, Richie never made Lox yet,,,, This is a good brine to go by,,, even did salmon this way and it turned out great also.
Steve with as many post like this,I still have a hard time thinking of cooking it.No offence Lox I could eat all day.I am going to have to give it a try,I can't judge all Salmon from the one I had.I saved in my to do list Thanks again Bud

Richie

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
Wait until you try smoked lox.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 3, 2013
Very pretty fish for sure!  point! 

B

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011

That is some great lookin fish.    Great job.
Thanks Farm 

DS,

Very nice presentation.  Notice how much liquid Steelhead produces at the end of brining.  Very oily fish, similar to Silver Salmon.  I bet it tasted really yummy like.
Thanks,  Ya Craig,, I did notice how much more liquid there was,, Ya they liked the results 

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Don't know how I missed this!

Great Looking Steelhead DS! That last photo is killer! That glaze makes it look like a work of art!

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
So nice, DS! I love the way it looks.

Disco

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.