Found 100% Mesquite Pellets in Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Well I found a place in further North Texas that sells 100% Mesquite Pellets!!! Since Lumberjack stopped making 100% Mesquite I was heartbroken. I think I have an option, at least for a little while now.

A78v7oy.png

The pellet brand/company is Hamlin Mesquite Products LLC located in Hamlin, TX.
The place I found selling the pellets is Texas Foods Direct (https://texasfoodsdirect.com/products/mesquite-smoker-grilling-pellets-texas?variant=16275731480678) located in Decatur, TX.

The price for a 20lbs bag is $17.99 which is a little high for pellets BUT well worth it to me for the rare treasure of a 100% Mesquite pellet. In my book, nothing goes better with beef or a brisket than 100% Mesquite smoke controlled properly!

My brother used up his last bit of 100% Mesquite Lumberjack pellets so he drove up to Decatur (1hr from his home) and picked up 5 bags for me and 5 bags for himself. I have not used any yet but I will report back when I do. Being 100% Mesquite I can't imagine they will be that different from the Lumbejack 100% Mesquite so I feel good about them even though I haven't used em.

Now if you are not within driving distance to pick them up in person well... I think the shipping cost may be a deal breaker. I never called the place up but maybe they can do a bulk sell or group buy type of deal.

I hope the pellets are great and that the company stays around forever so I never have to worry about finding 100% mesquite pellets again. 100lbs should last me a while but not forever. I go through Mesquite faster than any other wood as I smoke a lot of Brisket and I burn a full tray of pellets each time in my AMNPS.

I hope this info helps some of you out there. BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma this is in our ballpark so if you are needing some 100% Mesquite you have an option now :)

I'll report back when I smoke something with them, until then. Enjoy everyone!

I hadn't realized Lumberjack quit making 100% Mesquite. Last bunch I got from RK was the 100%.

I also was unaware they quit. I better check my store and score if they have some left. Don't use them very often but mix them in occasionally.

I havent seen any 100% mesquit or apple since I bought my rig 3.5 years ago

I'm not liking that they quit the 100% at all. I often use Mesquite for meatloaf, and we also like us some Mesquite smoked chicken on occasion.

If someone would be kind enough to help me, I up until a week or two from now, have never used pellets. I will have my mailbox mod finished as soon as parts come in, so I'm not even smoking, I found these on Amazon and from a distance look to be 100% mesquite. Are they, or what should I look for to know they are not? Mesquite Pellets

I hadn't realized Lumberjack quit making 100% Mesquite. Last bunch I got from RK was the 100%.
Yeah someone posted about it and low and behold, the stores around me and the "distributor" near me does not have them and cannot get them. Including 100% Apple which really baffles me. I think they stopped doing 100% Maple as well but not sure.
Get all the 100% Mesquite they got! lol

Now, Lumberjack is still doing blends with those woods but not 100% and as always Lumberjack clearly tells you what is in their blends.

I also was unaware they quit. I better check my store and score if they have some left. Don't use them very often but mix them in occasionally.
Yeah sucks. They still do blends they clearly label with Mesquite, Apple, etc. so that may work for you with your mixing.

I havent seen any 100% mesquit or apple since I bought my rig 3.5 years ago
Yeah its sad :(

Reactions: Winterrider
If someone would be kind enough to help me, I up until a week or two from now, have never used pellets. I will have my mailbox mod finished as soon as parts come in, so I'm not even smoking, I found these on Amazon and from a distance look to be 100% mesquite. Are they, or what should I look for to know they are not? Mesquite Pellets
Nope those are not 100% Mesquite. Bear Mountain does not do a pure 100% of any pellet except maybe their Oak option but that isn't guaranteed. I'm not knocking them. Almost no company does 100% of the wood on the label EXCEPT for Lumberjack and Perfect Pellet brands.

When a pellet bag says 100% all-natural hardwoods. This is doublespeak.

Bear Mountain Q&A is where they clearly point out that they don't use 100% of the wood on the label: https://bearmountainbbq.com/pages/faqs#:~:text=A: Yes, we use either,consistent burn and smoking experience.

This is why so many of us love Lumberjack, but they have stopped some of their 100% options :(

One oddball exception to this rule is Camp Chef Alder... this is because their base wood is??? Alder! So Alder blended with Alder = 100% Alder :D

Wood dust and shavings should work as well so you can try this:

They are marked down some and have a $2 coupon. You can see though that even with the savings you pay $3/lb and I paid $1.11/lb.

I live in brisket country and Mesquite is the only way to go for me so paying well below $3/lb is a way better deal for me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nefarious
Nope those are not 100% Mesquite. Bear Mountain does not do a pure 100% of any pellet except maybe their Oak option but that isn't guaranteed. I'm not knocking them. Almost no company does 100% of the wood on the label EXCEPT for Lumberjack and Perfect Pellet brands.

When a pellet bag says 100% all-natural hardwoods. This is doublespeak.

Bear Mountain Q&A is where they clearly point out that they don't use 100% of the wood on the label: https://bearmountainbbq.com/pages/faqs#:~:text=A: Yes, we use either,consistent burn and smoking experience.

This is why so many of us love Lumberjack, but they have stopped some of their 100% options :(

One oddball exception to this rule is Camp Chef Alder... this is because their base wood is??? Alder! So Alder blended with Alder = 100% Alder :D

Wood dust and shavings should work as well so you can try this:

They are marked down some and have a $2 coupon. You can see though that even with the savings you pay $3/lb and I paid $1.11/lb.

I live in brisket country and Mesquite is the only way to go for me so paying well below $3/lb is a way better deal for me :)
Thanks, I appreciate your insight. I haven't thought about it until you mentioned it. It turns out their next question indicates that oak is also a 100% wood.

Q: Are any of the Bear Mountain BBQ pellets 100% of a single wood species?
A: Yes, Oak and Alder BBQ pellets are 100% single species.

So I might use some of that. I have never used alter.

Thanks, I appreciate your insight. I haven't thought about it until you mentioned it. It turns out their next question indicates that oak is also a 100% wood.

Hahaha good find!
I had looked and found an Oak option but didn't find an Alder option. Another google search found evidence that it once existed on their site but the link threw a 404 not found error lol.

When it comes to pellets I prefer 100% options so I can do my own blending.

HOWEVER, I do rock Pit Boss Competition Blend. I believe it is like 25% Hickory, and then equal parts Maple and Cherry. It's not very strong with flavor so I often blend in more Hickory where I end up with about 65% Hickory overall.
Why Pit Boss Comp Blend? It's SUPER inexpensive and always available at stores. I can often get a 40lb bag for like $14 hahaha.

When I don't know what wood combo to try on something I go with it and add more Hickory.

I have a list of favorite woods to meats combo since i got my hands on so many Lumberjack 100% 40lb bags before they went away and I did so many blending experiments to find what tasted best to me:

• Bacon and Various Pork Link Sausage (I make both myself) - 75% Apple, 25% Hickory
  • Chicken and Turkey - 65% Hickory, 17.5% Maple, and 17.5% Cherry
  • Pork Butts/Shoulders and Pork ribs - 65% Hickory, 17.5% Maple, and 17.5% Cherry
  • Beef Brisket or Chucks - 100% Mesquite
  • Smoked Meat Loaf - 70% Mesquite, 30% Other (I have some oddball pellets I use here to stretch the Mesquite further)
  • Pastrami or Pork Sandwich Meat (Bologna) - 100% Maple
  • Cold Smoked Salmon Lox or Hot Smoked Salmon - 100% Alder
  • Beef in general, Smoked Prime Rib for reverse sear - 100% Mesquite
  • Peppers for Chili Powder - 65% Hickory, 17.5% Maple, and 17.5% Cherry
  • Smoked Salt - Pit Boss Competition Blend as is (25% Hickory, even parts Maple and Cherry)
  • Venison or Venison jerky or Beef Jerky - 70% Mesquite, 30% Other
    • Unknown jerky seasoning testing - 65% Hickory, 17.5% Maple, and 17.5% Cherry
I may switch things up every now and again or experiment but these are my go-to wood flavors with these staples of food I make.... I make a lot of different things hahaha

As you can see I'm not a fan of Pecan, it is underwhelming.

I'm not a fan of Oak, it is used EVERYWHERE around here so I've been burnt out on it for a long while though it is a good wood and flavor.

Cherry, well I like it BUT it freaking refuses to burn alone in pellet form. I need to turn some pellets into dust for my 100% Cherry smokes because I do like it on things but can't reliably smoke only cherry.

I don't use Alder often but LOVE it with fish so it's my go-to for fish. I also like Alder to blend with Mesquite and guess what. Mesquite is great for fish but I use so much mesquite I try to avoid it on the few fish smokes I do.

Hickory and me... well I like hickory BUT too much hickory makes everything taste like bacon to me. I've done 100% Hickory for bacon and liked it but don't go over 5 hours of it or it's too much hahaha. I found I much better like my blend above for bacon after trying about 4-5 different options.

Well that's all my wood and blend info that you didnt ask for. I hope it helps accelerate you with your wood pellet and smoking journey. As always ask anything u like, as u can see I did a LOT of tinkering to get to the list above :D

Last edited:
Reactions: JCAP and Nefarious
Well I found a place in further North Texas that sells 100% Mesquite Pellets!!! Since Lumberjack stopped making 100% Mesquite I was heartbroken. I think I have an option, at least for a little while now.

I'll report back when I smoke something with them, until then. Enjoy everyone!
I remember the conversation back when they disappeared. My local box store had a stack of 100% Mesquite and a month later when I stopped there it was all blend
So happy you found them again.

I remember the conversation back when they disappeared. My local box store had a stack of 100% Mesquite and a month later when I stopped there it was all blend
So happy you found them again.
Thanks! Yeah I'm glad I found these too. I just hope they hold out. 100 pounds sounds like a lot but in like 2-3 years when I'm out, these guys may not be making 100% Mesquite anymore or even be around hahaha.

This. Read the label and you will often find it is a blend of the flavoring wood mixed with other hardwoods.
I've found just the opposite. Many seem to go out of their way NOT to inform consumers of the exact wood species in their pellets. Most will say something like, "100% hardwood", which means nothing. It sometimes can be found if you dig deep on their websites.

Long time ago, there used to be a Tex/Mex place near me that featured mesquite-smoked bacon during breakfast hours. That was the first time I'd ever had anything other than hickory, and it was a real eye-opener.

Sorry C, we're hikacking your thread

I bought BM oak and hickory as it was a new brand and great sale priced.
Discovered later the hickory is a blend and I don't like it at all.
Very little hickory nose (that aroma associated with bacon and ham). I'll pay a couple dollars more for Lumberjack
Now the oak pellets are a dream. Nice flavor and burn for when I just want a nice mild, but distinct wood flavored smoke.

Places in NW MN that carry BM don't have alder
Tillicum Village on Blake Island boasts alder roasted salmon.
Went to Blake Island many times for day excursions, but not a salmon fan so I passed on the Village

I've found just the opposite. Many seem to go out of their way NOT to inform consumers of the exact wood species in their pellets. Most will say something like, "100% hardwood", which means nothing
Which kind of proves the point I was making. 100% Mesquite, 100% cherry, 100% hickory tells you what is in it.

Went to Blake Island many times for day excursions, but not a salmon fan so I passed on the Village
LOL, I've lived in or near Seattle all my life, and never went to Tillicum village. I do smoke salmon with Bear Mountain alder pellets, though.

Long time ago, there used to be a Tex/Mex place near me that featured mesquite-smoked bacon during breakfast hours. That was the first time I'd ever had anything other than hickory, and it was a real eye-opener.
Mesquite smoked stuff is awesome. Hell Mesquite grilled food is amazing too! People would come to Texas and experienced Mesquite grilled chicken and beef in Tex/Mex restaurants and have their minds blown! Even that little bit of the direct smoke from grilling is awesome!

Very little hickory nose (that aroma associated with bacon and ham). I'll pay a couple dollars more for Lumberjack
Now the oak pellets are a dream. Nice flavor and burn for when I just want a nice mild, but distinct wood flavored smoke.

Hahahaa I didn't feel it was hijacked at all. I enjoy all the discussion for sure.

In my journey to understand all this pellet wood craziness I found that Louisiana Pellet brand seems to use Maple as their base wood and they use like 35-40% of the wood on the label.
Maple is my favorite middle of the road wood and I use Maple instead of Oak when Oak is the norm.

Along the way to finding 100% Mesquite I ran across Pacific Pellet Mesquite which is 25% Mesquite and 75% Alder.
Louisiana Mesquite which is 35% Mesquite, and 65% Maple.

Found I liked to supplement the pacific blend with more mesquite and do my meatloaf smokes with it.
Found that Maple was great as a blend wood while using the Louisiana pellet. That lead me to try it as my Oak replacement and man I was so happy to discover my love of Maple.

I still have like 20 pounds or more of that Louisiana bag to use up, it was a 40 pound bag. The Pacific bag is done it was only a 20 pound bag.

I also have about 35 pounds of 100% Pecan to use up and I'm not sure how as it is a completely underwhelming wood flavor for me.
I think I will just start using it for jerkies and other stuff that doesnt last long or when I'm just smoking a bunch of stuff for other folks hahah.

Maybe I can trade it with someone someday. I'm sure I'll figure something out with it :)

The problem is what percent of which, it count be 50%/50% or 10%/90% and the buyer doesn't even know which. If they are going to blend, they should give us some idea of what the blend is. If it's 25% or more something else, why would I want to buy it. The label says Mesquite, I want it to taste substantially like mesquite. Argh!

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky