Found 100% Mesquite Pellets in Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Or just burn it in the fireplace. If you don't like it?
haha or possibly that too :P

I need to look into individual pellet heaters, maybe that's an option for camping and hunting and such

I also have about 35 pounds of 100% Pecan to use up and I'm not sure how as it is a completely underwhelming wood flavor for me.
I think I will just start using it for jerkies and other stuff that doesnt last long or when I'm just smoking a bunch of stuff for other folks hahah.

Maybe I can trade it with someone someday. I'm sure I'll figure something out with it :)
Try using Pecan for smoking cheese. I use Traeger pecan which is a blend. I don't like a in your face flavor on smoked cheese.
What, you don't like smoked cheese. Your back to that give away.

You need to step up pellet pooper.
I don't smoke a lot and still go through over 100# of pellets every year. Pellets in the hopper are the cheapest that will feed and burn with acceptable flavor.
Flavor wood goes in the tube

Reactions: tallbm
Try using Pecan for smoking cheese. I use Traeger pecan which is a blend. I don't like a in your face flavor on smoked cheese.
What, you don't like smoked cheese. Your back to that give away.

You need to step up pellet pooper.
I don't smoke a lot and still go through over 100# of pellets every year. Pellets in the hopper are the cheapest that will feed and burn with acceptable flavor.

I thought about it but I'm in TX so my times for smoking cheese are limited. I'm fairly lactose intolerant but can do cheese I just gotta watch the amounts. We haven't had any really cold weather yet. This past week was coldest BUT I was sick in bed during all of it so no prep or planning for it hahaha.

I think if I smoke and froze about 10 blocks that would be great. Maybe that will be my approach :)

.........I don't smoke a lot and still go through over 100# of pellets every year. Pellets in the hopper are the cheapest that will feed and burn with acceptable flavor.

If you shop around the cheapest might be the best in both the hopper and the tube. I can buy LumberJack 100% hickory for ~$8/20lbs from Atwoods Farm and less when on sale. Similar prices from Rural King if you have one nearby. I can get B&B hardwood blends from Academy for about the same price. Dick's Sporting Goods are said to price match. Might look around.

I hope this info helps some of you out there. BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma this is in our ballpark so if you are needing some 100% Mesquite you have an option now :)
I just use smokehouse pellets now in the hopper. I use the tube for my flavors. The wood chips give the best flavor for me and I mix the Lumber Jack pellets to fill in the spaces between them. I get close to a four hour burn like this this. I still have 3/4 bag of Mesquite. Doing this way my LJ pellets last forever!

Reactions: chopsaw
Mesquite smoked stuff is awesome. Hell Mesquite grilled food is amazing too! People would come to Texas and experienced Mesquite grilled chicken and beef in Tex/Mex restaurants and have their minds blown!
Lived in Missouri all my life , and have always used Mesquite wood . My absolute favorite smoking wood .
tallbm tallbm I have my MES 30 set up to burn wood chunks . Works great at temps of 200 and above . Nice clean burn .
I'm down to my last 2 lbs of Mesquite pellets , but I have bags of chunks and chips . I've been using chips mixed with pellets in the 12 " tube for about 3 years now . Works great as well .

56 west out of Sherman is loaded with Mesquite trees. I keep meaning to take a bow saw and get couple dead limbs hanging over the fence.

Last edited:
I just use smokehouse pellets now in the hopper. I use the tube for my flavors. The wood chips give the best flavor for me and I mix the Lumber Jack pellets to fill in the spaces between them. I get close to a four hour burn like this this. I still have 3/4 bag of Mesquite. Doing this way my LJ pellets last forever!

I just use the pellets in my AMNPS for my PID controlled MES40. I may experiment with being able to mix some chips with some pellets in the tray, that may stretch things a little further and I can find Mesquite chips locally no problem.

Lived in Missouri all my life , and have always used Mesquite wood . My absolute favorite smoking wood .
tallbm tallbm I have my MES 30 set up to burn wood chunks . Works great at temps of 200 and above . Nice clean burn .
I'm down to my last 2 lbs of Mesquite pellets , but I have bags of chunks and chips . I've been using chips mixed with pellets in the 12 " tube for about 3 years now . Works great as well .
It's cool to know the tube has no issues with the pellet and chip combo. I might experiment with the AMNPS tube.

I can still remember smoking in the WSM with all Mesquite wood on two racks of ribs. I had to throw them away. Boy that stuff can be over powering.
Yeah hahaha. My understanding with stick burning of it is that you have to really manage that smoke.
What I've seen is people burn the wood seperately and put the hot coals in the smoker for heat since mesquite is a great heat generator. Then they add a little bit of wood to the coals for smoke.
Similar to how people do charcoal and chunks I guess :)

B&B are Oak based flavored with the advertised wood that's on the front of the bag .
They're good about saying that on the bag , it's on the back .
That's what I buy and use in my pellet grill . Really good pellets . I have a bag of " mesquite " in the garage . Smells like mesquite when I use them . I like the B&B pellets . I have several bags .

Mesquite smoked stuff is awesome. Hell Mesquite grilled food is amazing too! People would come to Texas and experienced Mesquite grilled chicken and beef in Tex/Mex restaurants and have their minds blown! Even that little bit of the direct smoke from grilling is awesome!

Hahahaa I didn't feel it was hijacked at all. I enjoy all the discussion for sure.

In my journey to understand all this pellet wood craziness I found that Louisiana Pellet brand seems to use Maple as their base wood and they use like 35-40% of the wood on the label.
Maple is my favorite middle of the road wood and I use Maple instead of Oak when Oak is the norm.

Along the way to finding 100% Mesquite I ran across Pacific Pellet Mesquite which is 25% Mesquite and 75% Alder.
Louisiana Mesquite which is 35% Mesquite, and 65% Maple.

Found I liked to supplement the pacific blend with more mesquite and do my meatloaf smokes with it.
Found that Maple was great as a blend wood while using the Louisiana pellet. That lead me to try it as my Oak replacement and man I was so happy to discover my love of Maple.

I still have like 20 pounds or more of that Louisiana bag to use up, it was a 40 pound bag. The Pacific bag is done it was only a 20 pound bag.

I also have about 35 pounds of 100% Pecan to use up and I'm not sure how as it is a completely underwhelming wood flavor for me.
I think I will just start using it for jerkies and other stuff that doesnt last long or when I'm just smoking a bunch of stuff for other folks hahah.

Maybe I can trade it with someone someday. I'm sure I'll figure something out with it :)
I can't find 100% pecan pellets in South Louisiana. I'm jealous lol

I can't find 100% pecan pellets in South Louisiana. I'm jealous lol
Lumberjack used to do 100% Pecan. I bought a 40 pound bag figuring I would like them... nope.
If you were near the Dallas area I'd gladly let you purchase the 35lbs or so I have off my hands for a good price or just swap for some 100% of a pellet I more of anyhow lol :D

Lumberjack used to do 100% Pecan. I bought a 40 pound bag figuring I would like them... nope.
If you were near the Dallas area I'd gladly let you purchase the 35lbs or so I have off my hands for a good price or just swap for some 100% of a pellet I more of anyhow lol :D
Pecan is my favorite when using chunks in the WSM. I just pick up limps. I just got a chop saw and retiring the bow saw. There where I was when found that pond. The pellets don't do much for me either.

Pecan is my favorite when using chunks in the WSM. I just pick up limps. I just got a chop saw and retiring the bow saw. There where I was when found that pond. The pellets don't do much for me either.
Yeah I was super surprised at how I didn't care for the pecan pellets. I've eaten plenty of pecan smoked food since we have pecan trees all over TX. The pellets just didnt do anything for me.
Maybe I'll run a double batch and see if the flavor changes much.

Another thing I didn't care for is that pecan seems to give a brownish color to meat. It did not look anywhere as appetizing as the mahogany color from cherry. I know color doesn't affect flavor but I was not expecting that color tint to happen and it is very noticeable on chicken hahaha

Wow while looking through the sales that start tomorrow I found these 100% Mesquite Pellets at a nice small grocery store chain here in North TX:
1643146350388.png

BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma I know you like going to Market Street (I don't blame you) so if you need 100$ Mesquite pellets they are on sale there this week. I didn't even know they carried them!!!

Anyone in TX near a Market Street feel free to confirm if they carry the 100% Mesquite Pellets as well :)

Reactions: bauchjw
Wow while looking through the sales that start tomorrow I found these 100% Mesquite Pellets at a nice small grocery store chain here in North TX:
View attachment 523410

BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma I know you like going to Market Street (I don't blame you) so if you need 100$ Mesquite pellets they are on sale there this week. I didn't even know they carried them!!!

Anyone in TX near a Market Street feel free to confirm if they carry the 100% Mesquite Pellets as well :)
Nice score!!

tallbm tallbm - pecan on it's own is very light indeed. I do really like pecan with cherry though.

One thing you could do to use it up is load your hopper up with about half as much of whatever you really like then top it off with the pecan so that the pecan is being used at the end of the smoke (where the meat has already taken on 90% of the flavor that the smoke imparts.)

I'm with you on pit boss comp blend. I like to add a little more cherry to the mix. I do love me some cherry smoke! I used cherry splits almost exclusively in my old stick burner until my BIL had a pecan tree come down. That's when I realized that pecan and cherry went really well together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky