Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Edit #7:

Pineapple Smoke Sausage

25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1 1/2 TBSP. Paprika
1 1/2 TBSP. granulated garlic
1 tsp. ground coriander
1c. Dark Brown sugar

*Accent Spice blend:
1 TBSP. oregano
1 tsp. cardamom powder
1/2 tsp. clove powder

7c. canned pineapple tidbits drained (MUST BE CANNED!)
4 TBSPS. fine grated ginger
2 c. Maple syrup (very cold)
3/4 c. soy sauce (very cold)
1/2 c. pineapple juice and 1 TBSP. pineapple extract
10~12 egg whites; 3~3.2% (from my research, upper limit of 18 per 25# meat paste recommended) add 6g salt. Beat egg whites with whisk attachment on blender on high for 2 minutes.

* Mix up spice blend and weigh out 7.5g on a spice scale. That is how much I used.

Last edited:
Proposed changes for next batch....

Pineapple Smoke Sausage

25# 75/25 pork butt
29.5g cure #1
108g salt
30g MSG
15g Black Pepper
17.5g cayenne powder
2 1/2 TBSP. Paprika
1 1/2 TBSP. granulated garlic
1 tsp. ground coriander
2.5c. Dark Brown sugar

*Accent Spice blend:
1 TBSP. oregano
1 tsp. cardamom powder
1/2 tsp. clove powder

**40g. encapsulated citric acid powder

9c. canned pineapple chunks drained (MUST BE CANNED!), dried, and rinsed, then frozen
4 TBSPS. fine grated ginger
1 c. Maple syrup and 1/4 c. maple extract(very cold)
1 c. pineapple juice and 2 TBSPS. real pineapple extract (very cold)
1/4 c. soy sauce (very cold)
12 egg whites; 3~3.2% (from my research, upper limit of 18 per 25# meat paste recommended) add 6g salt. Beat egg whites with whisk attachment on blender on high for 2 minutes.

* Mix up spice blend and weigh out 7.5g on a spice scale. That is how much I used.

**Add to meat paste and gently fold in right before stuffing into casing. Do not refrigerate, smoke with in a couple hours of stuffing.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
Glad to help and the result looks great...JJ

One thing I have learned is that you must achieve a VERY GOOD primary bind after first grind by proper protein extraction with dry salt which will maximize the amount of salt soluble proteins for the bind. This must be done because of the highly acidic pineapple juice being used which will attack some of the binding proteins. The additional egg whites supplements this loss of protein binding.

The primary bind (and secondary bind after second grind) must be achieved prior to the addition of the acidic liquids to the meat paste....

I have been asked to come up with a pineapple sausage recipe. Friends and family enjoy my smoke sausage recipe and say it is very close to the base seasoning used by the Lil' Butcher Shoppe in Hattisburg Mississippi in their pineapple sausage recipe. Might have a go at a batch with some of the extra pork left over from processing day. I've always wanted to make a batch. Here is what I have so far:

Pineapple
25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1/2c. Dark Brown sugar
2c. crushed canned pineapple (MUST BE CANNED!)
1/4c. soy sauce
1 1/2TBSP. granulated garlic
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder

8 ounces NFDM powder
New to the site how was the pineapple sausage?

Indiaswamp, I have to say that this was one of the neatest recipes I've made in a while. The end result was spectacular!!! Smoking it makes a huge difference!!! I did make a few tweaks here and there based off of what I had available to me and the overall consensus was that this would be a great sausage to feature on this years Celebrate Sausage Series!!!

We ended up grilling some fresh pineapple for the recipe and what was left over use we juiced. We neutralized the acidity by adding a little baking soda to the pineapple juice which brought it up from a 3.8ph to a 6.8ph and I was ok with that. I also ended up using fresh habanero at 1% instead of cayenne.

We did go with a .5% phosphate addition (SHMP) and the bind was perfect. Great texture, very juicy, super flavorful!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

If you want to see the entire version I ended up going with I can post it here if not I'll end up having it on my site in a few months..

Last edited:
Wow. That's a high honor Eric. Thanks for giving it a go. I'll be looking forward to how you tweaked the recipe. No need to post it here, I can wait. Did you end up using ECA to drop the acid back down for the tang?

Did you end up using ECA to drop the acid back down for the tang?

I did use the ECA (at 1%) and it gave the finished product a perfect tang. Really made the pineapple pop. I'm not usually a sweet sausage kind of guy but this was really nice!!! It was very well balanced with flavors that helps to accent each other and allow the pork to shine!! The ginger was a nice subtle touch😁. Thanks again for sharing!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky