For the love of god make it stop

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Sooo doin my weekly shopping and I seen this.. So between bacon and eggs I' am spending $14.. Add some milk and bread and were talking about $24 LOL. I remember when all 4 were like $1.99 each and it wasn't very long ago. Lucky if I can get my weekly grocery bill down below 175 bucks for 2 old people.

bacon prices.png

Luckily I am a sausage over bacon guy. Do you have a local butcher? My parents are absolutely nuts for bacon and make it often and they typically pay $3/lb. Bacon is better than from the store too. I hope people stop buying to drive the price down. There was a time when I saw GB for $10/lb. F no.

Feels like 1973... I haven't purchased bacon for over a year. It is far better and more satisfying making it yourself. Far cheaper as well. I am also gearing up to start making my own bread. $8.50 for a loaf of decent bread has me at my breaking point. I need to get the bowl lift on my Kitchen-Aid fixed so I can start producing some artisan loaves.

JC :emoji_cat:

I've been making my own bacon for well over 20 years, tho sometimes I'll pickup a pack of store-bought when my stock is running low. Got to scour the ads every week, it's jus getting too expensive to eat! $4.99 for a pound, not 12oz, right down the road. RAY

x_large.jpg

I feel your pain!!! It me, Lesa, and a football playing bottomless pit of a 15yr old. Average grocery bill is at least $350. And thats shopping the sales. And thats before adding in the monthly meat delivery from home place pastures. And like sawhorseray sawhorseray said, this will become the norm soon. I dont see prices coming down anytime soon.

Jim

I feel it too.
Three teens in the house..
18 yo. weight lifter.
15 yo. grazing daughter that eats every fruit bar, granola bar, etc..
13 yo. Gymnast that never stops eating.
We go through probably 7-8 gallons of milk, 3 bags of generic cereal, 30 eggs, at least a whole pound of bacon, lord knows how much chicken and ground beef is served up.
I'm a regular at the old Food Lion.

I think it was Oscar Meyer that invented the 12oz pound and slid it under the radar by arranging thinner slices farther apart. You definately have to be a price/unit concious shopper these days.

Luckily I am a sausage over bacon guy. Do you have a local butcher? My parents are absolutely nuts for bacon and make it often and they typically pay $3/lb. Bacon is better than from the store too. I hope people stop buying to drive the price down. There was a time when I saw GB for $10/lb. F no.

I've been saying for YEARS that if people would simply let that CRAZY-expensive beef sit on the shelves and ROT the price "might" come down...but no.

In my neck of the woods, the price of beef suddenly went through the roof back around 2004-ish when low carb diets "resurfaced" and it's been steadily going up ever since (not blaming it on low carb in the years since, but the timing coincided back then).

I know other meats went up as well, but not like beef! It took less than a month for chuck roast to go from about $1.50 - $2/lb to $4/lb. Ground beef was almost as steep.
Now $7/lb for chuck roast is about average around here and I REFUSE to buy it at that price.

Thank God that we have best of the best is running America and looking out for "us..."

Tangentially - "a 30-day supply of insulin cannot cost more than $35.00" - but they only sell insulin 5-pens at a time / 1500mg total, so, if, for instance, you use 30mg per day (1500/30=50) you pay double - because it is more than "a 30-day supply." The way to beat this is to get your doctor to write a Rx for 50mg per day while you administer whatever your supposed to be using, and then throw the rest in the garbage.

CEO's, politicians and Federal law-makers with fancy University degrees thought this up...

Last edited:
Feels like 1973... I haven't purchased bacon for over a year. It is far better and more satisfying making it yourself. Far cheaper as well. I am also gearing up to start making my own bread. $8.50 for a loaf of decent bread has me at my breaking point. I need to get the bowl lift on my Kitchen-Aid fixed so I can start producing some artisan loaves.

You might look into no-knead bread recipes. If you have a dutch oven the amount of effort is almost negligible - maybe 10 minutes max of your actual time. Time does the "kneading" and you get amazing artisan loafs. Make the dough one day, cover it with plastic wrap overnight, shape and score it, bake it off. Wonderful artisan bread with no mixer needed.

I wish the high prices reflected that the producers are getting a fair share of the profits.
Feed cost have gone way up, but on the hoof prices haven't adjusted enough.

Fuel suppliers gouged us for their pandemic losses. The fuel prices are artificially high and raised delivery prices to unrealistic levels. On a happy note, if you own petroleum based stocks, you are making a lot of money this quarter.

I rarely buy bacon anymore, but I was at Harris Teeter yesterday and they had 16 oz thick cut smithfield bacon for $3.99 so i grabbed a handful and tossed them in the freezer. Regular price was $7.99.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky