Folks in New Mexico are serious about their chilie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
This sign is the first thing you see when you walk into Tomasita's in Santa Fe!

Yes, I had the red chilie on my stacked enchiladas, and it was awesome!

Then, in the lobby of the hotel, you had 2 choices for lemonade; with or without jalapeños!

That was some good stuff! The bride and I are planning to make some at home, but add vodka to it!

New Mex Chiles and the red and green sauces they are used in, are great on lots of food. But the prices for Hatch Chiles with shipping to the East coast is insane! A couple years ago l got 5 pound Big Jim's shipped to NJ. They were fabulous but not $65 worth! This year l am going to grow 6 different varieties. Going to try using 5 gallon buckets and over winter the plants indoors. Second season plants are supposed to give a higher yield. I know the New Mex soil and climate accounts for much of the flavor, but l would be happy with any thing over canned Chiles...JJ

New Mex Chiles and the red and green sauces they are used in, are great on lots of food. But the prices for Hatch Chiles with shipping to the East coast is insane! A couple years ago l got 5 pound Big Jim's shipped to NJ. They were fabulous but not $65 worth! This year l am going to grow 6 different varieties. Going to try using 5 gallon buckets and over winter the plants indoors. Second season plants are supposed to give a higher yield. I know the New Mex soil and climate accounts for much of the flavor, but l would be happy with any thing over canned Chiles...JJ
pm me if you want tips on growing peppers...there are a few tricks.

This sign is the first thing you see when you walk into Tomasita's in Santa Fe!

Yes, I had the red chilie on my stacked enchiladas, and it was awesome!

Then, in the lobby of the hotel, you had 2 choices for lemonade; with or without jalapeños!

That was some good stuff! The bride and I are planning to make some at home, but add vodka to it!

Now that sounds like a plan!!

I've had jalapeño margaritas before but never that. Should be interesting.

Well Cranky that sounds pretty darn good, and Lemonade with Jalapenos and vodka.......... If you get a good recipe for that one I would love to try that.....

I never would have thought to add japs to lemonade, now I won't be able to stop thinking about it. This place is going to be the death of me, so many awesome ideas. No way can I contaminate a whole pitcher with japs but by the glass will work, as long as it don't need a long time to infuse.

Lets hear some reports from those who do try it.

I googled it and it appears not to be as simple as a few slices added to some countrytime. Not saying that won't work too. I'm going to be curious how others make it and the results. I might tey the countrytime path myself but I just don't like lemonade enough to go thru all that other bother with making a syrup and all.

I'm from New Mexico, and this green and red chile shit gets on my nerves. People around here want to put it in everything (example: the lemonade). I get that's they're good in certain situations, but the folks in this state are extreme. I can't wait to get the hell out of here... If the wife ever lets it happen.

I'm from New Mexico, and this green and red chile shit gets on my nerves. People around here want to put it in everything (example: the lemonade). I get that's they're good in certain situations, but the folks in this state are extreme. I can't wait to get the hell out of here... If the wife ever lets it happen.

Don't want to hijack the thread but, along the same line...I am so glad the Bacon in or on everything craze is finally ending. Bacon on maple glazed donuts? Ok, pretty good. But Bacon After Shave, Bacon Soap and Shampoo, Bacon Ice Cream, Bacon Soda, Bacon Lollipops???That is just silly. Additionally the price of Bellies went through the roof! They should become affordable soon...JJ

Last edited:
Don't want to hijack the thread but, along the same line...I am so glad the Bacon in or on everything craze is finally ending. Bacon on maple glazed donuts? Ok, pretty good. But Bacon After Shave, Bacon Soap and Shampoo, Bacon Ice Cream, Bacon Soda, Bacon Lollipops???That is just silly. Additionally the price of Bellies went through the roof! They should become affordable soon...JJ

I agree! I enjoy bacon as much as the next guy but surious.....

I agree! I enjoy bacon as much as the next guy but surious.....
I'm right there with both of you bros. I used to vape, and one of the places I bought my juice from had a Maple Bacon vape juice that tasted the same exact way that street tar smells. It was absolutely awful... But yea, like chiles in New Mexico, I got really tired, really quick, of bacon being on everything.

I was born and raised in New Mexico. I love chilies on most things. Not a fan of burn your guts hot but enjoy the flavor. Need to have the folks send me some more.
Jason

We go through a bushel of Pueblo's and a bushel of Hatch every year, we don't eat em on everything like some folks but we love em. Son lives in ABQ so we go a few times a year grab some hatch and plenty of Rojo to get us through the season. I'll have to try that lemonade next time I'm there, interesting.

I used to do only Pueblo chilies as the farms are close but they've gotten so proud of em we now get a bushel of Hatch when we visit our son. Pueblo's went from $12 a bushel to $36+ in 2 years, farmers blamed it on gas prices, which I could understand as it was $4.25 a gallon then, now its back to normal and they keep their prices the same, kinda irks me.

I can get hatch in ABQ for $12 to $16 a bushel roasted.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky