FLAT IRON FOR TACO NIGHT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Well nobody had any flank steaks so i thought i would use a flat iron for taco Tuesday last night. Picked one up from kroger and also a marinade i thought i might try out. All turned out pretty good! Here are a few pics from our taco Tuesday

This is the steak i picked up
20191106_110547.jpg

And the marinades
20191106_105303.jpg

We use these street taco tortillas a lot. There pretty good for store baught tortillas
19022.jpeg
19023.jpeg

These are the toppings. Basic street tacos
19021.jpeg

I was going to try and cut the steak in half to try both marinades but decided to just go with the carne asada one this time. It could have used a little longer time in the marinade but it still had great flavor
20191106_110358.jpg

Cooked to 135° then wrapped and rest before slicing
20191106_105829.jpg
20191106_105556.jpg

I got this taco doohickey at a gift exchange one time. Its huge! You could do big burritos in this thing!
20191106_110643.jpg

Then add all the toppings and on to the plate!
20191106_105457.jpg

Just like every taco Tuesday they really hit the spot! Thanks for taking a look!

Great looking tacos!!!! I could go for some of yours!

I have some tacos planned for a few days next week.

Flat Iron are so good! I was at my butchers a whiel abck looking for flank and they only carry flat irons. they were like: whatcha makin - me: tacos. They recommended the flat iron and we have used them many times.

You tacos look killer man!!!

Might need to institute taco Tuesday here... we have Wednesday wine...which is sometime whiskey Wednesday. I give you those in trade :)

great looking tacos, flat irons are one of those over looked steaks, personally I think there up there with ribeye.

Flat Iron are so good! I was at my butchers a whiel abck looking for flank and they only carry flat irons. they were like: whatcha makin - me: tacos. They recommended the flat iron and we have used them many times.

You tacos look killer man!!!

Might need to institute taco Tuesday here... we have Wednesday wine...which is sometime whiskey Wednesday. I give you those in trade :)
Thanks! The flat irons worked out great! Ill be using them again for tacos! Whiskey Wednesday sounds like a good time! .....now that i think about it today is Wednesday...i better stop at the store on my way home lol

great looking tacos, flat irons are one of those over looked steaks, personally I think there up there with ribeye.
Thanks! I agree with you they are over looked. They are a great cut especially when cooked rare/medium rare and cut across the grain. Nice tender and moist.

Yum, I could live on Mexican food.
Have you ever diced up the meat and charred it hot and fast on a castiron griddle?
Thats our favorite way around here .

But Im not picky, I'll eat any type of taco except fast food, we don't do fast food in our house.

Our favorite is diced beef or chicken, lots of fresh lime, s&p a pinch of cumin then onto the cast iron hot and fast until it gets a nice char on it.
Yum your tacos look outstanding.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Yum, I could live on Mexican food.
Have you ever diced up the meat and charred it hot and fast on a castiron griddle?
Thats our favorite way around here .

But Im not picky, I'll eat any type of taco except fast food, we don't do fast food in our house.

Our favorite is diced beef or chicken, lots of fresh lime, s&p a pinch of cumin then onto the cast iron hot and fast until it gets a nice char on it.
Yum your tacos look outstanding.
:emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks! No i haven't done that for tacos but i do fajitas in our cast iron. Really hot and fast, peppers onions steak and shrimp at the end. Warm tortillas and some mango or peach pico . Those are really good!

Man that looks good!! We do a lot of tacos around here as well as fajitas. Yours are almost bordering on fajitas but I'll concede tacos. Never thought about using flat iron steaks but there's no reason why they wouldn't be outstanding. We also go through a train car load of the Mission torts every year using the taco size and the burrito size. Really good and a lot less messy than making my own :emoji_grinning: Funny I should be reading this right now. Tracy has a late meeting at work and I don't know when she'll be home so I'm planning to make tacos this evening since they can be done in a hurry, especially if all the rest of the stuff is already cut p and ready to go. I'm LIKEing this one!!

Off to get taco'd out,
Robert

Man now that makes my mouth water!! I have real love of Mexican food in general. Those look amazing!! Calling it right now, I am betting I see that last photo of the tacos on the gallery. Not only is the food excellent the pic and presentation are stellar.

Man that looks good!! We do a lot of tacos around here as well as fajitas. Yours are almost bordering on fajitas but I'll concede tacos. Never thought about using flat iron steaks but there's no reason why they wouldn't be outstanding. We also go through a train car load of the Mission torts every year using the taco size and the burrito size. Really good and a lot less messy than making my own :emoji_grinning: Funny I should be reading this right now. Tracy has a late meeting at work and I don't know when she'll be home so I'm planning to make tacos this evening since they can be done in a hurry, especially if all the rest of the stuff is already cut p and ready to go. I'm LIKEing this one!!

Off to get taco'd out,
Robert
Thanks! Yes they are a little loaded up really to be a taco. But heck where im from you wouldnt belive what they call a taco! lol . Enjoy your taco night!

Man now that makes my mouth water!! I have real love of Mexican food in general. Those look amazing!! Calling it right now, I am betting I see that last photo of the tacos on the gallery. Not only is the food excellent the pic and presentation are stellar.
Thanks! My mouth watered the whole time making them. Hell i even cried a little but that could have been from cutting the onions lol!

Reactions: forktender
Wow those look good!
Nicely done!
Congrats on getting another carousel ride!
Al

Last edited:
Thanks! Yes they are a little loaded up really to be a taco. But heck where im from you wouldnt belive what they call a taco! lol . Enjoy your taco night!

Oh, I can believe what they call a taco. There is a chain here called Taco Cabana which is pretty popular but their tacos look more like a taquito. Small, no fillings to speak of, and it'd take about a dozen to fill the void. Nope....not doing it. Would much rather make my own.

We did in fact have tacos last night and loved every bite!! It's one of our favorite meals that can be done off the cuff and in a hurry. Ours looked like yours with all the queso fresco I put on them but something about your presentation is simply gorgeous!!

When I saw that last pic, I too felt this was a carousel worthy post. Congrats!! Much deserved.

Robert

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
Looks great! I also haven't tried out the flat irons...see them at the store all the time but never bought one. Will now though thanks for sharing!

Oh, I can believe what they call a taco. There is a chain here called Taco Cabana which is pretty popular but their tacos look more like a taquito. Small, no fillings to speak of, and it'd take about a dozen to fill the void. Nope....not doing it. Would much rather make my own.

We did in fact have tacos last night and loved every bite!! It's one of our favorite meals that can be done off the cuff and in a hurry. Ours looked like yours with all the queso fresco I put on them but something about your presentation is simply gorgeous!!

When I saw that last pic, I too felt this was a carousel worthy post. Congrats!! Much deserved.

Robert
Thanks for the congrats! I agree tacos can be done quick and they are one of our favorites. I always have homemade mexican style chorizo in the freezer so we use that a lot. and the kids like the chorizo.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky