FLAT IRON FOR TACO NIGHT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great! I also haven't tried out the flat irons...see them at the store all the time but never bought one. Will now though thanks for sharing!
Thanks! Definitely give the flat iron a try! Its a great cut of meat.

I live in CA, otherwise known as Mexico north, there are more Mexican restaurants in our town than every other type of food joint combined. I have yet to see a street taco served on a flour tortilla here or in Mexico.
It's SO easy to make your own tortillas that it's a crime to buy them really, and they taste SO much better than anything Mission ever made. It's quick and super inexpensive to buy the flour and you just add chicken broth or water. Out here you can buy this at any Mexican market, or you can get it at Walmart any super market or Amazon if they don't carry it where you live. 5lbs only cost $3.00 and it makes about 50 tortillas.
1573297155935.png

Honestly, once you make them you will never want to buy them ever again, yes......they are that much better. You can use a cutting board or a diner plate to press them, but a tortilla press is a fun little project that anyone can build, all you need is a handsaw a screwdriver some scrap wood and two hinges or you can just buy one off Amazon, they are worth the money.
1573298773747.png

Reactions: Sowsage
I live in CA, otherwise known as Mexico north, there are more Mexican restaurants in our town than every other type of food joint combined. I have yet to see a street taco served on a flour tortilla here or in Mexico.
It's SO easy to make your own tortillas that it's a crime to buy them really, and they taste SO much better than anything Mission ever made. It's quick and super inexpensive to buy the flour and you just add chicken broth or water. Out here you can buy this at any Mexican market, or you can get it at Walmart any super market or Amazon if they don't carry it where you live. 5lbs only cost $3.00 and it makes about 50 tortillas.
View attachment 410928
Honestly, once you make them you will never want to buy them ever again, yes......they are that much better. You can use a cutting board or a diner plate to press them, but a tortilla press is a fun little project that anyone can build, all you need is a handsaw a screwdriver some scrap wood and two hinges or you can just buy one off Amazon, they are worth the money.
View attachment 410929
I agree corn is the way to go. I usually only do the corn ones but thought i would mix it up a bit. I really wasn't trying to go for authentic just flavors we like. And the homemade tortillas are awesome! We make them too. I have a cast iron press that works really good. But ill admit during the weeknights we dont typically mess with making them. Just easier to grab the store baught when trying to get everything accomplished before getting the kids ready for bed on school nights. Maybe the next time i do a thread on taco night ill go with something more authentic so people can see the difference between the store baught and the homemade.

Reactions: forktender
I agree corn is the way to go. I usually only do the corn ones but thought i would mix it up a bit. I really wasn't trying to go for authentic just flavors we like. And the homemade tortillas are awesome! We make them too. I have a cast iron press that works really good. But ill admit during the weeknights we dont typically mess with making them. Just easier to grab the store baught when trying to get everything accomplished before getting the kids ready for bed on school nights. Maybe the next time i do a thread on taco night ill go with something more authentic so people can see the difference between the store baught and the homemade.
I make a big batch they keep in the refer for weeks, but they never last that long around here. I throw them on a burner then smear them with butter and heat them up in my favorite salsa and sprinkle then with cheese for a quick snack. I didn't mean to sound Mexican food snobbish, I was just surprised that Mission made flour street taco tortillas seeing that I've never heard or seen a street taco made with a flour tortilla. Heck, I'd eat your taco every day they looked great and Mexican food is my weakness, even more-so than BBQ.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I make a big batch they keep in the refer for weeks, but they never last that long around here. I throw them on a burner then smear them with butter and heat them up in my favorite salsa and sprinkle then with cheese for a quick snack. I didn't mean to sound Mexican food snobbish, I was just surprised that Mission made flour street taco tortillas seeing that I've never heard or seen a street taco made with a flour tortilla. Heck, I'd eat your taco every day they looked great and Mexican food is my weakness, even more-so than BBQ.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
You know whats crazy. Ive been to every "authentic " restaurant around here and very rarely do they have corn tortillas for tacos! And when they do its a pre made one like the mission. ! I guess i never thought of pre making them and keeping in the fridge. Ill have to do that this week. Do you just keep the raw ones in the fridge? Or go ahead and cook them and just reheat?

Beautiful tacos Sowsage. Lovin the taco rack. I use Mission products, too, but haven't seen the "Street Taco" variety.

Like!
Thanks! That taco rack is pretty handy for making a bunch all at once! We get the mission street tortillas at kroger. They even have a low carb one!

You know whats crazy. Ive been to every "authentic " restaurant around here and very rarely do they have corn tortillas for tacos! And when they do its a pre made one like the mission. ! I guess i never thought of pre making them and keeping in the fridge. Ill have to do that this week. Do you just keep the raw ones in the fridge? Or go ahead and cook them and just reheat?
I cook them all at one time, then just reheat them, there are some great YouTube videos that walk you through the process. It's really pretty easy, I always seem to burn the first few until I find the right heat for the C.I. griddle. I've made them all thicknesses but have settled on using a nickle in my press as a gauge for the thickness that we like the best. (they puff up a bit when you cook them).
They are super cheap to make so it's fun to experiment with them, then if you mess them up it doesn't hurt as bad as meat on the Que or grill....LOL

I cook them all at one time, then just reheat them, there are some great YouTube videos that walk you through the process. It's really pretty easy, I always seem to burn the first few until I find the right heat for the C.I. griddle. I've made them all thicknesses but have settled on using a nickle in my press as a gauge for the thickness that we like the best. (they puff up a bit when you cook them).
They are super cheap to make so it's fun to experiment with them, then if you mess them up it doesn't hurt as bad as meat on the Que or grill....LOL
Thanks for the tip! Ill give the nickel in the press a try as well!

Reactions: forktender
When I was using a cutting board as a press, I just taped one to each corner. On my tortilla press I super glued them onto the two corners away from the hinges then press spin press to even them out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky