Fishing Rods Suggestions from you Fisherman

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This what I ordered. Got $20 off. Hopefully they will today so can try tomorrow.

View attachment 517523
I have had and still have Daiwa reels and have always had good luck with them. Have a very nice Daiwa rod too. I’ll bet you’ll love these. This post has made realize I’d have a lot of fishing gear being underused. I need to make more time next year. I may get out in December when off a couple weeks and hit some local rivers for steelhead.

6 ounces? Is that true?

Hey Steve,

Your question got me curious. The first of these rods I got really surprised me with it's lightness but I had never actually weighed one.

4.7 oz.

20211128_135027.jpg

Hey Steve,

Your question got me curious. The first of these rods I got really surprised me with it's lightness but I had never actually weighed one.

4.7 oz.

View attachment 517551
Holy mother of bass! I really thought that was a misprint! Thank you. And. Much to Ann's dismay. I'm thinking I am looking into new rods. Especially with my neck RA. I never would have thought a rod could be that light.

Reactions: one eyed jack
Holy mother of bass! I really thought that was a misprint! Thank you. And. Much to Ann's dismay. I'm thinking I am looking into new rods. Especially with my neck RA. I never would have thought a rod could be that light.

The rod on the scale is a 7'0 1 piece. I like the feel and action of these rods and I'm sure the light weight has something to do with it.

I was surprised at the 4.7oz. too

:emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: Steve H
OK guys---Youngsters!!!
What was the first rod & reel you used?
Other than just sticks & strings I played with when I was a little kid, my first actual Fishing rod when I was about 5 years old, was about 9' long, and it was Bamboo.
The first reel I used was one of the Metal casting reels in a bucket my Dad had. There was no way anybody could cast with it. You had to pull it out from the Reel, by hand & throw it out as far as you could---Maybe about 8'. I think the line was cotton. You had to have either a Sinker or a Bobber on it, just so you could throw it far enough to get it in the water. This is probably why I never was very Picky about my Fishing equipment, later in life. I just look back at what I started with.

Bear

First one I used was a one piece cane pole . Line , bobber and hook . About 8 or 9 feet long .

OK guys---Youngsters!!!
What was the first rod & reel you used?
Other than just sticks & strings I played with when I was a little kid, my first actual Fishing rod when I was about 5 years old, was about 9' long, and it was Bamboo.
The first reel I used was one of the Metal casting reels in a bucket my Dad had. There was no way anybody could cast with it. You had to pull it out from the Reel, by hand & throw it out as far as you could---Maybe about 8'. I think the line was cotton. You had to have either a Sinker or a Bobber on it, just so you could throw it far enough to get it in the water. This is probably why I never was very Picky about my Fishing equipment, later in life. I just look back at what I started with.

Bear
First rod I ever seriously fished with was a Eagle Claw Trailmaster. Came in a stainless steel water proof tube. I still have it along with a couple others that were in aluminum tubes. Great poles For stream fishing.

I have always like Penn Reels. Their rods are just ok, but you can usually find their rod and reel combos for not much more than just the reel alone costs you. I’d look for either a fierce or battle combo in a size suitable for what you are intending to fish for. The Battle is a better reel. You can always replace the rod down the line. Someone mentioned St. Croix, and I do like them for rods.

Started with a metal level winder. Then graduated to a Bamboo rod. Hit the big times with a Zebco 202.

Go to Bass Pro check out there rod building supplies and make your own, it is not that hard to do I make all my own.
Richie

With so many options now available, I see no reason to build your own rod unless you can produce an option which no one supplies. My go to setup for Rock/Ling Cod is a Shimano trevala rod and a Daiwa bait casting reel. I also use a Daiwa rod for same applicaton.

Last edited:
I've got 3 Ugly Stik GXs, all with Penn Fierce IIs. 6.6 light, 7' ultra light and a 9' medium for jetty fishing.

I can't remember my 1st poles, whatever my dad could get cheapest. When I was ten or so, I got one of those 3 pole sets that you would see advertised
in magazines for $10 or so. Came with all kinds of hooks, lures etc. We lived on a lake and I remember grabbing a pole and a red and white Dardevl lure
and my dad laughing at me because "I'd scare the fish away with that ugly lure". I returned a few hrs later with a 24" 6lb rainbow. "Catch anything?" Yeah
a little one, its by the backdoor. Opens door-"HOLY ****!!!

Thats still my biggest lake trout though I haven't done a lot of lake fishing since.

With so many options now available, I see no reason to build your own rod unless you can produce an option which no one supplies. My go to setup for Rock/Ling Cod is a Shimano trevala rod and a Daiwa bait casting reel. I also use a Daiwa rod for same applicaton.
Craig I have been building rods for 40 + years
Richie

Craig I have been building rods for 40 + years
Richie
Yes, but for those who never have built them, is it worth it? Even though I've been fishing for many years, I have found stock rods to satisfy my fishing needs. Now, will say that if I wanted to land that monster Tuna, finding the right rod in a tackle shop might be a challenge.

Last edited:
Thats how it started I was tired of the 2 piece surf rods
For boat fishing I like the acid wrap
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky