Still looking for truck - Changing to Jeep Grand Cherokee

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
After replacing the upstream O2 sensor the right bank lean and intermittent rough idle seemed to be ok on 97 jeep but than last week would not idle at all without stepping on petal. It also makes a loud sound like exhaust leak but after runs few minutes calms down. I replaced the idle valve but I don't trust this thing anymore. It only has 140,000 but its old. Having really hard time shelling out $50,000 for used Ford 4x4 truck. I found this and thinking about driving down to look at it. Looks like was a rental but in good shape. It has the 3.3 instead of the 2.7 I been looking at.

Man that 2.7 a beast. Guess I need to suck it up and just do it.
Just getting some info for you . Take your time and look around . I bet something will pop up . I've never driven one , but have heard that the 3.3 is short on power .

Just getting some info for you . Take your time and look around . I bet something will pop up . I've never driven one , but have heard that the 3.3 is short on power .
I should of jumped on a 2022 with 7000 miles for $46,000 last week. Had everything but Trailer Assist I wanted. Kicking myself. Seems most are Black or White. Really don't want black. Wish they had that bronze. Silver or Grey OK.

Reactions: chopsaw
I should have jumped on a 2022 with 7000 miles for $46,000 last week. Had everything but Trailer Assist I wanted. Kicking myself. Seems most are Black or White. Really don't want black. Wish they had that bronze. Silver or Grey OK.
Hey you could throw a burnt orange wrap, some 20 inch spinners and be the king of swing as your boat Moores itself out to the water whilest you park. We would have to change your user name to BrianGSDPuffDaddyofTexoma though. Lol.

Here's the ONLY truck to go for......
foothillpk-07a.jpg

Brian, good search engine here with good filtering. Should be able to find you many to choose from around your area.
Edmunds.c*m
Sorry, shouldn't have put the link up.

Brian, good search engine here with good filtering. Should be able to find you many to choose from around your area.
Edmunds.c*m
Sorry, shouldn't have put the link up.
You were answering a question so you could/can insert a link in that case.

Brian that looks like a decent deal but dude you only live once if you can afford the newer truck that has the equipment you want or most of what you want go for it. A super cab is ok at best I know most of the time your driving your going to be alone but if your going to take the boat someplace and spend a couple days or going somewhere without the boat that super crew is nice for putting your luggage and things like that in the back seat yeah you can put some of it in the super cab but the crew has more room and better access to that room. If you do have people with you the super crew is better no question.
We have a 2015 F150 super crew short bed Lariat with the 5.0 wasn't really wanting the 5.0 but the wife liked the truck so...........She drove it home lol. Mileage isn't bad but the 6 would have gotten the better mileage. Ours/hers is 2 wheel drive.

Agree on the Super crew .
Brian decide what you're looking for in features , then research the package numbers so you have an idea of what's on the truck . It changes with the years , but like with an XLT the levels go from 300A , 301A , 302A . 300A is the base , then you get added features as you go up .
If you know what's included , you can have a good idea of what you're looking at by knowing the number .

Yeah been thinking about getting a pickup also. Good lord for what they want for used you can almost buy a new one!!!

Jim

After replacing the upstream O2 sensor the right bank lean and intermittent rough idle seemed to be ok on 97 jeep but than last week would not idle at all without stepping on petal. It also makes a loud sound like exhaust leak but after runs few minutes calms down. I replaced the idle valve but I don't trust this thing anymore. It only has 140,000 but its old. Having really hard time shelling out $50,000 for used Ford 4x4 truck. I found this and thinking about driving down to look at it. Looks like was a rental but in good shape. It has the 3.3 instead of the 2.7 I been looking at.

That is a ton of miles for rental use, not sure what kind of rental agency keeps them that long. Typical agencies dump the vehicles at 1 year.

I don't know much about trucks and I know this is not close but is this what you are looking for?

• Wow
Reactions: GaryHibbert
Yeah been thinking about getting a pickup also. Good lord for what they want for used you can almost buy a new one!!!

Jim
Your not kidding Jim, I have 3 vehicles north of 100K in the household and am really trying to hold off as long as I can. My 14 Exploder with a 146K that I really don't like, I am hoping to put another 100K on clock before replacement.

Reactions: JLeonard
My ZJ just got a water pump and power steering. Getting listed for sale. Yeah, it's time.

I'd be doing a 2015/2016 Grand for $15-18k if I were in your shoes. Dealer will probably you good dough for the trade too.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have an '18 with the 2.7. It's a very heavy Supercrew with every option Ford could jam in it, so my payload is actually a bit low. It hauls 4000lb with ridiculous ease, I would trust it with maybe 6000 if I wasn't going far and I could be ridiculously cautious. If you find one with a payload around 1500-1600 lb, you can easily tow 6500. Most are in that range. Options kill me, like the damned useless moonroof.
I drive it with no regard to gas milage and avg 19.3 over the year or so.

I had a '18 with a 5.0. It was fine, much prefer the 2.7. All of the torque in the 2.7 is down low, at about 2300 rpm. In the 5.0, it's up high, around 4500 rpms.

I wouldn't want a 3.3NA unless I never towed. They will haul, but they struggle. Probably more than your jeep. My jeep with the 4.0 could tow pretty well.

302A XLT in a 15-19 gets you remote start. Mighty handy on both cold and hot days. I think it's a different option in the 20's. Lariat and above come with leather, folding mirrors, and heated steering wheel and BLIS. BLIS is nice. Mine has it.

Trailer brake assist is a VERY easy option to add. It's the one option mine came without. IDC, as I can't haul super heavy due to payload.

Went to pick boat up from trolling motor install and messed up again when leaving the bank. Guy also installed an auto bilge which I really needed. He said both where the hardest install he ever did. Time to get serious about finding a truck! Now I go to get out and make trolling motor going to work. Been a couple weeks of everything going wrong. I need some therapy.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Went to pick boat up from trolling motor install and messed up again when leaving the bank. Guy also installed an auto bilge which I really needed. He said both where the hardest install he ever did. Time to get serious about finding a truck! Now I go to get out and make trolling motor going to work. Been a couple weeks of everything going wrong. I need some therapy.
Get after it, Brian. A day on the water is a day that's not taken away from your life. As I posted earlier, if you need any help or advice with that motor, don't hesitate to reach out to me...I'm extremely familiar with them...

The worst day fishing beats the best day working! You can only go up from here Brian!!!

Reactions: mike243
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky