Fishing Rods Suggestions from you Fisherman

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I do a lot of inshore fishing in my center console and a lot of kayak fishing up the marsh creeks of coastal NC.

I'm a big fan of one piece rods up to 7 & 1/2 foot.

Over 30 years fishing here I have settled on Ugly Sticks, specifically their recent "Carbon" series.

Really like the one piece stainless guides, and the carbon series is fairly light.

You mentioned KastKing and I have bought a good number of their reels. I like the casting reels more than the spinners. The spinning reels are a little rough and so I go with Penn Clash or Conflict. (For fish to 10LBs)

I've gotten most all my Ugly stick Carbon rods from Amazon.

Here's a link to casting rods. Looks like they are still available.

Here's a one piece 7 foot spinner, available at Amazon. This is the price I've paid over the last couple years.

I suggest that you check out the Ugly Stick web site and decide which model you want. The choices can be a bit limited on Amazon.

For some of you older fellas.....
images (3).jpeg

I do a lot of inshore fishing in my center console and a lot of kayak fishing up the marsh creeks of coastal NC.

I'm a big fan of one piece rods up to 7 & 1/2 foot.

Over 30 years fishing here I have settled on Ugly Sticks, specifically their recent "Carbon" series.

Really like the one piece stainless guides, and the carbon series is fairly light.

You mentioned KastKing and I have bought a good number of their reels. I like the casting reels more than the spinners. The spinning reels are a little rough and so I go with Penn Clash or Conflict. (For fish to 10LBs)

I've gotten most all my Ugly stick Carbon rods from Amazon.

Here's a link to casting rods. Looks like they are still available.

Here's a one piece 7 foot spinner, available at Amazon. This is the price I've paid over the last couple years.

I suggest that you check out the Ugly Stick web site and decide which model you want. The choices can be a bit limited on Amazon.

6 ounces? Is that true?

Ugly Sticks are Fine, as long as Nobody Beats You With One!!!
Be careful !!

I can't help much:
I was a "Mitchell 300" Lover most of my life. Then since I went to mostly Trout, I got a couple of Daiwa Spinning set-ups, including my favorite "Daiwa Mini-Spin" Ultralight, with the Molded handle grip.

Bear

Reactions: Steve H
This (Below) ended up my Favorite Trout Fishing Rod. "Daiwa Minispin"

They don't make this one any more, but you can get a 5 piece in a carrying box that is similar.

Bear
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
For some of you older fellas.....View attachment 517518
Man that brings back some memories. My dad dearly loved fishing and for his first retirement, a friend made him up something very similar as a gag gift. It was just a reel mounted on a walking cane with his name carved into the wood. He's gone now and I'm not sure what ever happened to it, but I've got all of his other fishing gear and tackle...

What model did you buy?
The KastKing Sharky III Fishing Reel 3000 . Line kept spooling up on the bottom side. Spent two hours on this thing. Got it boxed up to go back tomorrow. Last time took spool off they insides fell apart. Not sure if got back together right or not but I'm done with it!

The KastKing Sharky III Fishing Reel 3000 . Line kept spooling up on the bottom side. Spent two hours on this thing. Got it boxed up to go back tomorrow. Last time took spool off they insides fell apart. Not sure if got back together right or not but I'm done with it!

It looked like it had good ratings too. I was going to suggest a Daiwa reel. I bought 3 of these a few years ago. The Sweepfire 4000B at a killer price. I still have 2 new in the box. Let me know if the one you ordered doesn't meet your needs/likes. Perhaps we can work out a deal.

It looked like it had good ratings too. I was going to suggest a Daiwa reel. I bought 3 of these a few years ago. The Sweepfire 4000B at a killer price. I still have 2 new in the box. Let me know if the one you ordered doesn't meet your needs/likes. Perhaps we can work out a deal.
Thanks Steve. I have a KastKing Valiant Eagle bought couple months ago and it been decent. I still need to buy another rig. If I like this new one may buy another. I have several of my old quick fire shimano's been using. I going to miss that quick fire. Think it time for drink! Have not even made breakfast yet.

• Haha
Well when and picked up. Got it strung up. I usually use 10 lb big game but thought would try 12 this time. Line capacity a little low, 12 lb 110 yards but probably OK. Will have to use something different when trolling. Put a weight on it and casted outside. I gotta say pretty impressed so far. Rod very light and reel is very smooth. Maybe my hand not get so sore now.

Well when and picked up. Got it strung up. I usually use 10 lb big game but thought would try 12 this time. Line capacity a little low, 12 lb 110 yards but probably OK. Will have to use something different when trolling. Put a weight on it and casted outside. I gotta say pretty impressed so far. Rod very light and reel is very smooth. Maybe my hand not get so sore now.

Have fun with the new rigs Brian

Good luck tomorrow

David

Honestly relative to being light, nice selection of length etc it’s hard to beat the Berkeley Lightning graphite rods. They are in the $40-60 range. They have nice cork handles and good graphite blanks. I like my Ugly Sticks mostly for fishing where I am not casting a lot which for me typically means bottom fishing for catfish. I have a Fenwick rod I like quite a bit, it’s paired with a super light C4 Stradic reel but that is getting into the higher dollar range.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky