Fishing Rods Suggestions from you Fisherman

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have had a couple of those over the years. But was never really happy with them. What ones do you have?

The ones I use most of the time that stay in the truck are economical Shakespeare's :emoji_grin: . Have a nice one
I got from Dad that pulls out and twist locks, but it is a little heaver , not sure of name as it is packed for the winter now

All my reals are open faced, also. Just like the feel and cast of them

David

Reactions: Steve H
I just found this one:
71fXCekqipL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Might grab it. 6.8 feet and pretty decent reviews. I'll put one of my Mitchells on it.

He says they will wear you out

I have noticed on my Med-hvy 6 1/2-7' Ugly stick... my fingers/wrist gets sore after a few hrs constant casting/retrieving (bass fishing).... It has a dual handled spinner with the one finger quick cast (whatever it's called) ...
So I just keep going back to my Diawa Bait casting rig ...

I live and work close/on the salt water... I prefer fresh and only do so ...

I have noticed on my Med-hvy 6 1/2-7' Ugly stick... my fingers/wrist gets sore after a few hrs constant casting/retrieving (bass fishing).... It has a dual handled spinner with the one finger quick cast (whatever it's called) ...

You talking about that one finger bale release? I hate those. Your hand does get sore from them.

Talked to my fishing buddy last night and he does not like Ugly Sticks. He says they will wear you out
Brian, I understand your buddy's thinking. The GX2's, which are graphite and fiberglass composite, are heavy when compared to today's higher end all graphite rods and over the course of a day of bass fishing, they will tire you out. But for the price, they're hard to beat especially for the occasional fisherman or weekend fisherman and I don't think they can be broken...lol. But with all the cargo issues on the west coast, they can be very hard to find. The fishing club I'm in raffles off rod and reel combos to members every month to raise money. We usually buy Shakespeare striper and catfish rods for the raffles, but even with a Pure Fishing regional rep (Shakespeare's parent company) in our club, we can't get them. We've been able to get some Lew's stuff though, but most prefer the Shakespeare for their style of fishing. These guys are either trolling or bottom fishing.

As for reels, I'm an Abu round reel guy. When I bass fished, I used Abu Garcia 4600's, 5600's, and some 5500's. As for spinning reels, Penn Battle is a decent reel at a decent price point. The Daiwa BG's are another. I prefer the 3000 or 4000, but for casting for bass, a 2000 size would work just fine. Most of these reels can be bought used off of EBAY for a decent price and repair parts are very easy to get.

For trolling for stripers, my recommendation is a 7' to 8' medium action 1 piece rod with an Ambassadeur 6500 reel. I do not like 2 piece rods. This will also work for casting for bass or to schooling stripers even though 8' is probably too long. For a rod specific to trolling for stripers, go to FishUSA.com and look at the Okuma Dead Eye Classic. Several sizes and actions available and less than $50, will last you a long, long time. Here's the model number for a 7'6" medium action - DEC-LC-761M-T.

I live and work close/on the salt water... I prefer fresh and only do so ...

I have one of those reels and used it once , now it just sits in the shed. I could not get the hang of it

David

Boy this has all got my head spinning. I tend to over complicate things. Going fishing tomorrow with my buddy and wife. I will be glad when get a boat. Fishing 3 in a boat with all casting can be a pain! I have picked up his wife's stuff few ties and always say Wow! This is what good stuff feels like but she spends a lot of money on it. Her reels are over $300 and has several. Was trying to a cyber Monday deal but not a big deal.

Just for the heck of it I brought in one of my ugly sticks. It's a shakespeare ugly stik spl 1102. And weighed it. Darn thing is a touch over 5 pounds!! Never gave it a thought until now.

Boy this has all got my head spinning. I tend to over complicate things. Going fishing tomorrow with my buddy and wife. I will be glad when get a boat. Fishing 3 in a boat with all casting can be a pain! I have picked up his wife's stuff few ties and always say Wow! This is what good stuff feels like but she spends a lot of money on it. Her reels are over $300 and has several. Was trying to a cyber Monday deal but not a big deal.

Brian , pick up what you are happy with. Don't try to compete .
Big picture is you have been looking for a new to you boat for awhile. That's what you really want.
Enjoy the fishing trip tomorrow, catch some fish and have a great day. And duck the flying hooks

David

Reactions: jcam222 and Steve H
I saw you write “stripers” and thought to recommend my rig (Shamino 7’ saltwater med/hvy with a Penn Battle Reel II with 20lb braid) but then realized you’re fishing fresh water. If you have a little time Bass Pro and Cabelas always have some nice combos on sale for Christmas. Ugly stick is good budget rod but they tend to be soft and heavy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky