Fish Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJHubert

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Hey so I have a masterbuilt 30 and someone gave us a bunch of small rainbow trout. I'm not familiar with smoking fish, what's the best brine and what chips should I use. How long do I brine and then smoke? Basically I need all of the directions haha thanks

Well, anymore I do Salmon.
I do a dry brine on my fish. 1 cuppa salt, 4 cups of brown sugar.
Herb Good explains it best.

I started off smoking trout as a young man. Or about 50 years ago. ;)
Crude as it was, simply put the fish in my home made smoker, and made smoked fish that was more like jerky than smoked fish. But I liked it, and I ate it.
Now, 50 years later, things are quite a bit more sophisticated. So I brine, and smoke with greater care, and appreciably better results.

My choice is Hickory for almost everything.
But lately I've been using Alder, and I like it as well. Many say Alder is the best wood for fish smoking.
So after 50 years, I'm changing my ways and using hickory, and alder, as my smokin woods.

Who knows, in another 50 years I might try something else? Maybe some Pecan? :rolleyes:o_O

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky