What changes to make for less than fresh fish?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrybread

Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
From time to time I keep fish in the fridge too long, and sometimes the freezer. Last year's salmon vacuum bagged for example. My test to see if it's totally bad is first to feed some to my neighbor's cats, and if they eat it and it doesn't smell bad, sometimes I smoke.

But what should I be increasing when smoking that kind of fish? For example with salmon I usually brine for about 12 hours in 6:1 sugar:salt, then maybe 4 hours of smoke ending around 150 degrees. Should I brine it longer? More smoke?

And what exactly does smoking do from a bacteria killing perspective? Is it the salt or the smoke or both?

Reactions: JLeonard
Salt helps preserve fish, that's why a dry cure or brine is used. Time in the cure or brine is also important, and tested recipes or tables can give guidance, but only an analysis can tell for sure how much salt the fish has absorbed. Heat will kill bacteria, and certain compounds from the smoke have an antimicrobial effect. And finally, before smoking the outer surface of the meat dries, which reduces moisture available for bacteria to grow.

All that said, the best smoked fish (and canned fish) comes from the freshest fish you can get. Last season's vacuum sealed salmon should be in good shape, just thaw it in the fridge and use good practices.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky