Fish fry at the wife's grandmother's house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
My wife's grandmother is in her 90s and recently asked us to have a fish fry at her house. Well, when she asks me for something, I do what I can to make it happen.

I loaded up 2 fryers, 14 pounds of fillets from the freezer, bought some popcorn shrimp, fries, and hushpuppies, then headed to east Texas on Saturday morning.

I setup at the inside edge of her garage and had a great view with a slight breeze.

All I made was fish, shrimp, fries, and hushpuppies, all of the rest of the goodies below were homemade by the ladies of the family.

Not great pics, but lots of full bellies!

Great looking meal Charlie!

I just love fried fish, I could sit & eat it all day,

With a few beers of course!

Point!

Al

CB that is how we do fish most of the time.It all looks good points heading at ya

Richie

How the heck did you find the time to do all that cooking with so many pictures taken ?   Nice pics, nice work. Points!

Saturday in Houston was great and sure it was there. Great view with the round hay bales in the distance. Nothing better that a big fry and such great southern dishes. Do you think the lady that made the corn bread would share the recipe?

Looks tasty[emoji]128523[/emoji]!!Mind me asking what is a hushpuppie?and what type of fish?Im sure ur gran in law sure appreciated it!points
She loved every minute of it!

Hushpuppies are little balls of cornmeal mixed with some baking powder, jalapenos, and buttermilk.  Fry them up and eat em!  Kind of like a fried cornbread.

Saturday in Houston was great and sure it was there. Great view with the round hay bales in the distance. Nothing better that a big fry and such great southern dishes. Do you think the lady that made the corn bread would share the recipe?
I couldn't have ordered a better day!  You're right about the view, it was perfect for the occasion.  We made a LOT of hay this year and it looks like we'll get a 2nd cutting before first frost as well.

I'll ask for the cornbread recipe, I know she's given it out before.

Last edited:
Nice Job, Looks great, I guess my invite got lost in the mail ???   
points1.png

Gary

Lordy-Lordy!!
eek.gif

Glad I wasn't there---You would have had to "Roll Me" out of there!!
icon_redface.gif

Everything looks Awesome!!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Thanks for showing!
icon14.gif

Bear

What an incredible meal, Cranky. Would she be willing to adopt a fat old Canadian so I can be there for the next meal?

Points!

Disco

What an incredible meal, Cranky. Would she be willing to adopt a fat old Canadian so I can be there for the next meal?

Points!

Disco

She hasn't turned a soul away in her 90+ years! I assure you, she'd love to meet you and feed you well. You know you always will have an open invitation down here.

She hasn't turned a soul away in her 90+ years! I assure you, she'd love to meet you and feed you well. You know you always will have an open invitation down here.
I love people like that. They usually are great people who improve your life just by being around. You and yours are always welcome here in the Canadian Rockies, too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky