First Turkey. Please advise.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nevrsummr

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
North Idaho
So, I am smoking my first turkey tomorrow. It is a 13 lb er. I am trying to finish my smoker today so I can burn it in tonight and smoke tomorrow. However it only can get as high as 225* will that be sufficient to make 4-40 in 4 hours or do I need to use my old smoker that gets much hotter?

I used a brine I found on here, no cure. And have it soaking now.

Any other advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

225 is fine but the skin will be rubbery. If you eat it, when IT is 145-150, finish the bird in a 425 oven...JJ

Will do. Thanks JJ. Does anyone bother to tent it for a period of time? Is it important to spatchcock or will whole bird be ok?

Spatchcock saves some time but not needed unless the bird is 18+ pounds and a smoker temp below 275 is desired. Tenting is just to buy some time. If the rest of the meal and guests are ready to go, a 15-20 minute rest on the counter is all that is needed and start carving...JJ

Last edited:
Didn't get the smoker quite finished last night so it's going in the fridge smoker which gets much hotter. Do you guys place a water pan under the bird?

Any last minute tips?

If you smoker will go to 325°F just treat it like any Roasted Turkey, about 15 minutes per pound to 165 in the Breast. You can leave it whole and the skin will be crisp. No water in the pan...JJ

Air dry the skin. Best to do overnight in the fridge uncovered. Sounds like rounding have time to do that. Right before putting in the smoker hit it with a hair dryer on low.

Wouldn't say it was great, but it was good. Skin was crispy. Little bit dry in the breast, the dark meat was moist. Not very smoky.

It was too long. Here is the problem, temp hit 165 so I was getting ready to pull it. I probed a few extra spots to be safe and juice was pouring out. All temps were good. I set the probe deep to monitor the bloom and as I was pulling it saw the temp sitting at 152. What the heck? So I put it back in at 350 till 170 IT. Pulled and let bloom for 30. Was a little frustrated.

If you place the probe close to bone you get a high reading or a low?

Bone is a poor conductor. That is why a med/rare T-Bone will be rare next to the bone...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky