First Tri-Tip -WSM.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
My first attempt at TT. First, a shout-out to noboundaries for his advice on this cook.
TT was trimmed and then seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning and then into the fridge over night.
WSM temp set at 250 using my BBQ guru. Royal Oak briquettes and 5 pecan chunks.
Smoked the TT for about 4.5 hours, then wrapped TT in aluminum foil with a half cup of beef broth. Covered. Pulled TT off with IT of 190. Rested for 1 hour. Sliced it the best I could. It’s hard for me to figure out how to ‘cut across the grain’. Still need practice on that. Overall, it was good. A little chewy for some slices. But, not bad. It was missing something. A little more bark. The TT was USDA choice. I appreciate any comments. And thanks for looking.
4B368300-9063-481B-A394-EF308D8AE644.jpeg

26F5B473-0278-4181-BE29-3E083A7CFFA5.jpeg

3183E54A-B26C-4FDF-B956-5D17410EAA4C.jpeg

44367EF0-8DDC-4D2C-9025-2CCE8B4CB960.jpeg

The thing I see is you sliced it parallel to the fibers in the meat. For maximum tenderness, it should be sliced across the muscle fibers. Very nice smoke ring and good flavor I'll bet.

Agree with kruizer. I never trim these, as they are already very lean and I always feel needs the fat to maintain juciness. Yours looks quite juicy anyway. If them being a little chewy was your problem, it is hard to expect these to get real tender. They are more like sirloins comparatively. Not the most tender piece of meat, but has great flavor.

I.T. at 190?? I like to cook my T.T. to about 130 like a steak. At 190 I would think it is overdone. As to cutting across the grain there is some good advice on the internet that taught me how to carve them.

I.T. at 190?? I like to cook my T.T. to about 130 like a steak. At 190 I would think it is overdone. As to cutting across the grain there is some good advice on the internet that taught me how to carve them.

OGG, we were all of the same mindset as you, until a member suggested trying the above. Several of us are converts. Check out this thread.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-tri-tip-just-like-brisket.274922/

It’s hard for me to figure out how to ‘cut across the grain’.

Justin, on the majority of tri tips, if you think about the meat like a boomerang, then start slicing across the bend, you'll be off to a good start. You can see what I'm talking about in your first picture, shown below with the slices.

4B368300-9063-481B-A394-EF308D8AE644.jpeg

I.T. at 190?? I like to cook my T.T. to about 130 like a steak. At 190 I would think it is overdone.

I agree, I much prefer medium-rare. I tried a TT cooked to 190 and it was pretty good. But they don't have as much fat as brisket and cost twice as much around here, so I don't plan to do it again unless I can find them for ~$3/lb.

For the bark you could try wrapping in butcher paper instead of foil. No juice added of course. Ray is right about the angle to cut at. It's one of those things you need to look at before you apply the rub and cook. You might even try using toothpicks stuck in the meat at the angle you need to cut in that particular area of grain. Your Tri Tip looked very good. Great job on that.

George

You learn something new every day! We hope. I'll have a tough (pun intended) time talking D. W. into a 6 hr cook on T. T. Got 2 in the freezer right now.
Thanks for the education.
Dale

Justin, that TT looks great to me. I know I would enjoy a few slices of that on my plate.

Point for sure.

Chris

Appreciate all the comments and help guys. I’ll have to try this again sometime when it comes on sale again. Right now it’s 4.99lb.

$4.99 to $8.99 / lb is pretty "non-sale" standard nowadays in my neck of the woods, $4.99 for Select grade, up to $8.99 for Choice/Prime. That's why I'll put 4-6 untrimmed, Select grade TTs in the freezer at $2.98/lb when I see them on sale. I trim off about 4-8 oz of fat, leaving at least 1/4". Before the big drought that devastated beef stocks, I could get Choice grades for $1.99/lb on sale.

I'll occasionally see Choice grade on sale for $2.98/lb, but not often.

I don't have anything more to add than what has already been said. But Just wanted to congratulate you on a fine cook! Looks delicious!

Our $2.99 sale just ended yesterday but I was able to get three into the freezer. Of course one of those is going to drop on the smoker Monday but still that leaves two more in the freezer. I love to have those as a go to when I just want to smoke something that doesn't take too long.

George

I agree - 190 if youre doing a brisket (I do 203) but not tri-tip. 135-140, then pull it. I smoke it at 225 for 6 hrs, then char on both sides on BBQ.

Just done a Tri Tip last week. Smoked it @ 275 till it hit 140 then pulled and rested.
I never really find Tri Tip in the area. It turned out good, had great flavor.
Was reduced to $6.79 lb which I would sooner do a brisket @ $3.39 lb

Nice smoke and thanks for sharing!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky