• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First TRI-TIP and Top Sirloin

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Just a quick post. I was finally able to track down a Tri-Tip from a friend. This was my first ever as they are unheard of in most of PA. Since it was only 2 pounds, I fired a 2 pound Top Sirloin Roast as well.
I finally understand all the FUSS about these Tri-Tips! My family all raved about the flavor and tenderness. The Top Sirloin was very good but not quite as tender.
I did a Reverse Sear on the Weber at 180-225 to an IT of 100°F. I then opened the bottom vents and removed the lid. When the the coals were screaming Hot, I seared the Beef to 115, with a 15 minutes rest. Came out a nice Med Rare, at 125°, though the pic looks more Med.
We had Baked Potatoes, mine was a Red Sweet, with Brn Sugar, Butter, S&P. The veg was Canned Asparagus sauteed in Brown Butter. Other than being mushy, the flavor was delicious...JJ

Going for a good Sear...
20200927_190504.jpg

Quality Control stood by for the first bite...
20200927_195118.jpg

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Very Nice! Only tri tip I've had has been the ones I save from deer....all of 3 oz....LOL! But soooooo tender!

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Looks Good JJ, I'm glad you were finally able to try one, and my quality control guy gives me that same facial expression.

Point for sure
Chris

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
That looks great , and sounds like you're getting the kettle dialed in ..

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Nice looking plate there.
Is the guard a new addition?

Warren

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 15, 2017
That's a fine looking meal JJ. I've had my eyes open for a tri-tip but have yet to see one in my travels. I'm guessing QC eventually got to taste test the tri-tip!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks delicious JJ!
You’ll be on the hunt for TT from now on!
Al

redneck5236

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 24, 2019
Hey Jimmy ! We are practicaly neughbors ! Live between ridgway and johnsonburg ! And for your info bells meats in Kane usually have frozen tri tips and briskets !

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Nice looking plate there.
Is the guard a new addition?

Warren
Thanks for the compliment but no Warren. He has been with us, 2 years end of December.
Hey Jimmy ! We are practicaly neughbors ! Live between ridgway and johnsonburg ! And for your info bells meats in Kane usually have frozen tri tips and briskets !
You are, what, 40 minutes away. Thats not far for these parts. BIG THANKS for the Tip on Bells...JJ

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Fine looking meal! No tri tips around here either. I would volunteer for quality control but think that's already filled!

Ryan

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Thanks All. Yeah, I'm getting better heat control and the meats are tasting great. I bury an Oak Split, I think it's Oak, under some charcoal and add lit charcoal on top. Been getting a nice Smokey flavor, though I need to call Todd for an Expandable Tube. I have a lot of pellets...JJ

MJB05615

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 12, 2018
Looks real good JJ. Glad it's working out for you. I'm on the hunt for some TT. Have only seen 1 around here ever. But it was recently, so I'm hopeful more will arrive. Nice work.

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like JJ it is appreciated.

Warren

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.