First TRI-TIP and Top Sirloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Just a quick post. I was finally able to track down a Tri-Tip from a friend. This was my first ever as they are unheard of in most of PA. Since it was only 2 pounds, I fired a 2 pound Top Sirloin Roast as well.
I finally understand all the FUSS about these Tri-Tips! My family all raved about the flavor and tenderness. The Top Sirloin was very good but not quite as tender.
I did a Reverse Sear on the Weber at 180-225 to an IT of 100°F. I then opened the bottom vents and removed the lid. When the the coals were screaming Hot, I seared the Beef to 115, with a 15 minutes rest. Came out a nice Med Rare, at 125°, though the pic looks more Med.
We had Baked Potatoes, mine was a Red Sweet, with Brn Sugar, Butter, S&P. The veg was Canned Asparagus sauteed in Brown Butter. Other than being mushy, the flavor was delicious...JJ

Going for a good Sear...
20200927_190504.jpg

Quality Control stood by for the first bite...
20200927_195118.jpg

Looks Good JJ, I'm glad you were finally able to try one, and my quality control guy gives me that same facial expression.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That's a fine looking meal JJ. I've had my eyes open for a tri-tip but have yet to see one in my travels. I'm guessing QC eventually got to taste test the tri-tip!

Hey Jimmy ! We are practicaly neughbors ! Live between ridgway and johnsonburg ! And for your info bells meats in Kane usually have frozen tri tips and briskets !

Nice looking plate there.
Is the guard a new addition?

Warren

Thanks for the compliment but no Warren. He has been with us, 2 years end of December.
Hey Jimmy ! We are practicaly neughbors ! Live between ridgway and johnsonburg ! And for your info bells meats in Kane usually have frozen tri tips and briskets !

You are, what, 40 minutes away. Thats not far for these parts. BIG THANKS for the Tip on Bells...JJ

Fine looking meal! No tri tips around here either. I would volunteer for quality control but think that's already filled!

Ryan

Thanks All. Yeah, I'm getting better heat control and the meats are tasting great. I bury an Oak Split, I think it's Oak, under some charcoal and add lit charcoal on top. Been getting a nice Smokey flavor, though I need to call Todd for an Expandable Tube. I have a lot of pellets...JJ

Looks real good JJ. Glad it's working out for you. I'm on the hunt for some TT. Have only seen 1 around here ever. But it was recently, so I'm hopeful more will arrive. Nice work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky