First time using Weber Smokey Mountain 13lb Turkey

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by colorado shawn, May 14, 2011.

1. I just joined up.  This is my first post.  I thought I'd share my first experience on my newly purchased Weber Smokey Mountain doing a 13lb turkey.  I don't have much experience with charcoal so this is a work in progress getting used to the smoker and how to make the BBQ come out best.  I had a propane smoker that I had been using for the last 4 years and it just got old and the BBQ started getting lousy.  I thought I'd try smoking a different way using the Weber and not do propane anymore.  I really like the smell of charcoal too, it reminds me of camping with my family when I was a little kid... good time :)

I did a video of my first smoke so I'll try to figure out how to post that here since I didn't take any pictures.

As we speak I am doing a port shoulder.  I'll take some pics of that when it's done and try to post.  Looking forward to using this forum.  I love to BBQ, and hope to participate in my first competition this summer in Loveland, Colorado.

Happy smoking people.

Shawn

Erie, Colorado

CrossFit Gym Owner

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
  2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Welcome to SMF Shawn. Nice looking family you have there. Sounds like you have the WSM dialed in. Now you just need to post your video & photo's. We all live for that. It's easy to do, just click on the insert image or insert video icon at the top of the text box & follow the prompts. Also you should go over to the roll call section & introduce yourself there so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome.

3. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I would suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.

Then use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig

Also..Sign up for the oustanding E-Course...

http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse.html

4. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the forum. The WSM will treat you right, many of us have them and love them.

5. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]  to SMF Shawn,You'll find all you need to know about smokin' some great Q here.

Glad to have you with us  [​IMG]

7. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Did you probe that bad boy?  Looks good.

Not sure about keeping those gloves on?  Noticed you were bearfoot, me usually too. Stepped on many a small piece of lump that fell without notice. Been wearing flip flops since.

8. shooter1

shooter1 Smoking Fanatic

Welcome Shawn, nice looking family you got there. I love my WSM, lookin forward to seeing more pics of your Q.

9. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Welcome Looks like you are on your way to alot of success in the smoking dept....wish I had started at your age...Nice family you have there...Just a personnel note...if you turn your cap around

the right way you will  not have sqint your eyes so much.....[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great job on the video Shawn. Your turkey looks delicious!   [​IMG]

11. Man that bird looks good. I now do all by birds by temp. Always use a probe and it comes out Juicy. Welcome and good Cookin.