First time using Weber Smokey Mountain 13lb Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

colorado shawn

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Erie, Colorado
I just joined up.  This is my first post.  I thought I'd share my first experience on my newly purchased Weber Smokey Mountain doing a 13lb turkey.  I don't have much experience with charcoal so this is a work in progress getting used to the smoker and how to make the BBQ come out best.  I had a propane smoker that I had been using for the last 4 years and it just got old and the BBQ started getting lousy.  I thought I'd try smoking a different way using the Weber and not do propane anymore.  I really like the smell of charcoal too, it reminds me of camping with my family when I was a little kid... good time :)

I did a video of my first smoke so I'll try to figure out how to post that here since I didn't take any pictures.

As we speak I am doing a port shoulder.  I'll take some pics of that when it's done and try to post.  Looking forward to using this forum.  I love to BBQ, and hope to participate in my first competition this summer in Loveland, Colorado.

Happy smoking people.

Shawn

Erie, Colorado

CrossFit Gym Owner

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to SMF Shawn. Nice looking family you have there. Sounds like you have the WSM dialed in. Now you just need to post your video & photo's. We all live for that. It's easy to do, just click on the insert image or insert video icon at the top of the text box & follow the prompts. Also you should go over to the roll call section & introduce yourself there so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome.

Did you probe that bad boy?  Looks good.

Not sure about keeping those gloves on?  Noticed you were bearfoot, me usually too. Stepped on many a small piece of lump that fell without notice. Been wearing flip flops since.

Welcome Looks like you are on your way to alot of success in the smoking dept....wish I had started at your age...Nice family you have there...Just a personnel note...if you turn your cap around

the right way you will  not have sqint your eyes so much.....
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky