First time Thanksgiving Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DPeterson

Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
I am fairly new to smoking but want to do a turkey for tomorrow. I have searched the threads and am more confused than I was when I started. Cooking times all over the place as well as temps. I bought a free range turkey that has not been soaked in salt. I have heart issues so don't need any extra salt. The turkey is 13 pounds and I don't plan on injecting it with anything because of the salt in all the recipes. I do plan making a rub to go on it and will put some apples and onions inside. I have a MES 30 electric smoker and would like to know some true and tried temps and times. Our dinner is not until the evening so I have all day.

I posted pretty much the same question about half an hour ago. Also first time on whole turkey, just under 13 lbs and trying to find time. I referenced a different thread in my post if you already haven't checked that one out.

Temperature is your biggest variable a lot of people prefer higher temps 275+( myself included) as to not have rubbery skin. There are tricks to work around this but being your first cook go kiss method.
If you run about 250f your looking 30to40 min per pound. 325f or so 15 to 20 min per pound hope this helps

I have a 20 lb turkey to smoke for tomorrow! Should I expect it to take 10-11 hrs based on what I’m reading about 30-35 minutes per pound? Thanks in advance!

I personally wouldn't stress over time b/c like cajun said, there are a lot of diff variables. So you can get an estimate of how long it would take but I would strictly cook to temp from a thermometer. I think someone already made a separate thread of turkey weight cooking times which will give you a good idea.

Also, from my limited experience, I think cooking at higher temps is the way to go when dealing with poultry. I'm cooking my turkey between 275 and 300. I have a OK Joe so it's not set and forget.

Reactions: DPeterson
I have a 20 lb turkey to smoke for tomorrow! Should I expect it to take 10-11 hrs based on what I’m reading about 30-35 minutes per pound? Thanks in advance!

Hi there and welcome. Check here for some turkey temp and time info.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/any-chance-at-a-turkey-cook-time-sticky-post.281619/

For safety reasons there should be no way in the world you cook or eat a turkey that takes 10-11 hours to cook. There is a safety guidelines to get your meat to 140F internal temp (IT) in 4 hours to avoid issues. There is more to safety and IT and cooking methods BUT if you follow the guideline for your turkey you will surely be safe.

With that said cook your turkey at 325F and you will have edible and maybe even crispy skin. Cook under 300F and you there is a high likelyhood the skin is like rubber, it's just a thing poultry skin does unless cooked high or you take some other measures.

Finally if you cook at 325F your 20 pound bird will likely be don in 5 hours or so. Last weekend I deboned a turkey to have 17.5 pounds of it left and I STUFFED it, wrapped, it and smoked it at a good even and consistent 325F and it took 3 hours 45 minutes. At 325F with a 20 pound bird I'm sure you will be at 5 hours or less.
If you can't get to 325F then go as high as you can and use the charts in the post I linked too and you should get a ball park. Best of luck!

Reactions: DPeterson
Thanks for the help guys. I’ve got some creole butter seasoning that I was going to inject into the bird. Have y’all had luck with this before? Also wondering if it’s ok to Inject it and then brine it?

Thanks for the help guys. I’ve got some creole butter seasoning that I was going to inject into the bird. Have y’all had luck with this before? Also wondering if it’s ok to Inject it and then brine it?
I've injected with that marinade before and it was fine. I wouldn't inject and brine, I don't believe it is productive since you can only fit so much into the bird and at some point you may be leaching the injected marinade out into the brine vs getting more in the bird.

Well all went well except the smoke part. I am usining a Amazen tray with their pellets in a mail box. I have a hard time keeping it lite. I have added hole and closed holes but it still does not stay lite. I was using apple wood. Oh well it was smoked enough as I didn't want it to strong. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving

Attachments

• IMG_4358.JPG
    IMG_4358.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: tallbm
Forgot it was 13 lbs and it took 6 hrs at 275 or lower kind of jumped around.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky