First Time Roast Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Been awhile since I have been able to get on here. Life happens, things have been crazy, and you know fantasy football started haha. Still been smoking though and finally got around to posting one of them.

I invested in a meat slicer to do bacon with so I figured I would try out making my own roast beef for sandwiches. Went to Kroger and they had round roast on sale BOGO so I picked up a couple.
BR1.jpg

I injected them with beef broth and gave them a nice coating of Montreal steak seasoning. Figured I would keep it simple.
BR2.jpg

Set the smoker to 220 and tossed them in with a row of mesquite pellets since it was going to be a short smoke. Of course cracked a cold one open.
BR9.jpg

I like a nice rare-medium rare so I took the roasts to 120 and pulled them off. Took about 2 hours or so if I remember right. I fired up the gas grill and did a quick sear all over to kind of crisp up the outside. Temp was up to 125 so I let them rest. Figured the carryover temp would get up to about 130ish.
BR3.jpg

BR4.jpg

I put them back in the pans I smoked them in once I took them off the grill. These things smelled wonderful and they were juicy. Once they cooled I vac sealed them lightly and let them rest overnight in the fridge.
BR5.jpg

Tossed them in the freezer for a couple hours to let them firm up to slice then I got to work.
BR6.jpg

BR7.jpg

Tossed a little on the griddle real quick with some cheese and made a nice French dip with homemade au jus. Bread kind of fell apart.
BR8.jpg

This stuff was amazing. The family gobbled it up. Ate sandwiches for a few days. Only regret it I didn't smoke more. If you have never done this and have the means I would highly recommend it! Thanks for looking and good to be back!

That french dip looks very good. Lots of wonderful sandwiches for sure. I do not yet have a slicer, but seeing all the bacon and sandwich meat these days, I am about ready to take the plunge.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Nice to see you back Vol.. That RB looks fantastic - Nice Job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Man,that looks good.
It's been a while since I've done some.last batch was sliced all pretty in vac bags in my freezer that went bad,five 1# packs.:(
Thanks for the push!

Point!

That looks like it might be a few notches above Arby’s Vol! Wow that looks great! Slap some horseradish on one of them Sammie’s and I’m in!!!

Scott

Way better than Arby's or Deli roast beef any day! Slathered a little chipotle mayo on it

Nice to see you back Vol.. That RB looks fantastic - Nice Job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Man,that looks good.
It's been a while since I've done some.last batch was sliced all pretty in vac bags in my freezer that went bad,five 1# packs.:(
Thanks for the push!

Nice job. I love roast beef and can only think that smoked would even make it better. Like!

That looks like a delicious mountain of roast beef! Congrats on making the carousel.

Thank you guys for the compliments. I made that Au Jus out of back fat damn it paired perfectly with that sandwich. Washed it down with a cold one.

Noticed today a local store has the eye of rounds on sale this week for $2.99 lb might have to go pick a few more and make another batch!

That is some beautiful sliced roast beast. You might not been around here but I be a thinkin you have not slacked any on that smoker.

You said a new slicer for bacon? Whatcha get?

You know that if you put some of that sliced beef in your pockets before going out the house, the women will just follow you home? Its true!

Great looking meat! Made my mouth water!

That is some beautiful sliced roast beast. You might not been around here but I be a thinkin you have not slacked any on that smoker.

You said a new slicer for bacon? Whatcha get?

You know that if you put some of that sliced beef in your pockets before going out the house, the women will just follow you home? Its true!

Great looking meat! Made my mouth water!

Thanks for the kind words! I just bought a cheapo Weston slicer off of amazon open box. I think after all was done I paid like $45. Been slicing like a champ though. Ill post my first bacon later!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky