FIRST time brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moresmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
North Mississippi
I want to smoke these. I need to use he 4 hour rule to get them to proper temp. Using cure 1, 1
teaspoon per 5 pound meat. Mixing 3# butt, 1 pound beef, and 1 pound deer bacon mix. When I put in casing do I let room temp dry for two hours? Then to smoke? Then to ice bath? Then to fridge. When ready to eat, take em out and grill em? Am I missing anything? Thanks to ALL!! I'm also doing a round of snack sticks with same process but different seasonings

Reactions: crankybuzzard
The bacon part of the mix was cured. The ground deer was not.maybe 5 slices of cured cold smoked bacon

Last edited:
if you are using cure #1 in your brats, there is no need to worry about the 40-140 rule. The cure will take care of that. make sure you weigh your beef and add cure based on that weight. Since the bacon already has cure in it it is okay and needs no more cure.

Sounds like you are going to hot smoke. You will want to take the brats to an internal temp of at least 152°. You can ice bath or not. As for reheating however you want these will be fully cooked and you can eat them cold if you like.

Another option would be to cold smoke them. Then you would need to cook them before serving. traditionally this would be how brats would be done if smoked. Most brats are not smoked and are grilled to cook.

Looks like you're well on your way to an addiction! Sausage making is a great way to get some really good food without all of the "other stuff" in them.

Points for your first!

Looks like you're well on your way to an addiction! Sausage making is a great way to get some really good food without all of the "other stuff" in them.

Points for your first!

Looks great! I'm still in the experimental stage with hot smoking. Smoking game sausages to 152 seems to be rendering out too much fat for my taste.

Looks great! I'm still in the experimental stage with hot smoking. Smoking game sausages to 152 seems to be rendering out too much fat for my taste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky