• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

FIRST time brats

moresmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 5, 2016
I want to smoke these. I need to use he 4 hour rule to get them to proper temp. Using cure 1, 1
teaspoon per 5 pound meat. Mixing 3# butt, 1 pound beef, and 1 pound deer bacon mix. When I put in casing do I let room temp dry for two hours? Then to smoke? Then to ice bath? Then to fridge. When ready to eat, take em out and grill em? Am I missing anything? Thanks to ALL!! I'm also doing a round of snack sticks with same process but different seasonings

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
How was your Deer Bacon made,was it cured?

Richie

moresmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 5, 2016
The bacon part of the mix was cured. The ground deer was not.maybe 5 slices of cured cold smoked bacon

Last edited:

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
if you are using cure #1 in your brats, there is no need to worry about the 40-140 rule. The cure will take care of that. make sure you weigh your beef and add cure based on that weight. Since the bacon already has cure in it it is okay and needs no more cure.

Sounds like you are going to hot smoke. You will want to take the brats to an internal temp of at least 152°. You can ice bath or not. As for reheating however you want these will be fully cooked and you can eat them cold if you like.

Another option would be to cold smoke them. Then you would need to cook them before serving. traditionally this would be how brats would be done if smoked. Most brats are not smoked and are grilled to cook.

moresmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 5, 2016
I was planning on hot smoking. If I cold smoke what would you recommend time wise on cold smoking ?

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Looks like you're well on your way to an addiction! Sausage making is a great way to get some really good food without all of the "other stuff" in them.

Points for your first!

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Looks like you're well on your way to an addiction! Sausage making is a great way to get some really good food without all of the "other stuff" in them.

Points for your first!

myownidaho

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 27, 2016
Looks great! I'm still in the experimental stage with hot smoking. Smoking game sausages to 152 seems to be rendering out too much fat for my taste.

myownidaho

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 27, 2016
Looks great! I'm still in the experimental stage with hot smoking. Smoking game sausages to 152 seems to be rendering out too much fat for my taste.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.