First Summer Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by disco, Mar 31, 2014.

1. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks! It will be one of my favourites from now on. 

Each chub weighed about 2 1/2 pounds.

Disco

2. Very nice! I bought a kit that I'm waiting to use, but definitely putting this on the list to try.

3. disco

Thanks, Bluto. I hope your kit makes a good sausage.

4. WOW you make it look easy!! well done and thanks for the great directions!

5. disco

Thanks, BCP. It actually is pretty easy. It has to be, I made it.

Discc

6. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

7. disco

8. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

ok ,well just do the olives and the cheese..and she who must be obeyed will be content...

9. disco

Which is always a good thing!

10. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very, very nice looking sausage.... Wish we could figure out a way to do samples thru this forum as that looks great & I'll bet real tasty... Gonna get into the game of the sausage making here shortly, just hope I can someday hold a candle to y'all on here... Again nicely done Sir... :sausage: :biggrin:

Justin

11. snorkelinggirl

snorkelinggirl Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Hey Disco,

Gosh, I'm sorry I missed this thread when it first appeared!  I love summer sausage, but like you haven't had the desire to try an actual shelf-stable fermented version.  But I like the idea of using Fermento for the tangy flavor.  I'll give that a try next time.  

Your cross-sectional pictures look fantastic.  And who is that handsome devil in the picture with the LEM vertical stuffer?

[​IMG]  

Thanks for posting, and have a great night!

Clarissa

12. disco

Thanks. If they come up with a tasting version of this forum, my wife will leave me because I'd be spending all my time on this forum! 

Give sausage making a try. It is easy and allows for a lot of creativity in the ingredients you can choose.
    Thanks, Clarissa.

I wouldn't want you to think that this is as good as a fermented summer sausage. However, it is way better than anything I have bought in my local supermarket.

As for the fellow in the picture with the LEM, I decided to use a male model this time. I went to the local Legion and closing time and found one that would work for free. I guess it just shows you get what you pay for.

Disco

13. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

This one looks like a great salami (or summer sausage)  .

14. disco

Thanks. It was a fun and tasty project.

15. smoke slinger

smoke slinger Smoking Fanatic

Looks really good Disco, I like some good summer sausage. One of my favorite snacks while watching football.

Craig

16. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Disco, That looks great, I just seen this post been off for awhile. I had 5lbs of beef and pork (10lbs) out this weekend I was going to do Japalpeno s/s with and got so busy could not do it so I had to fry it up and use it for meals during the week. [​IMG]

Maybe in a couple of weeks I will try agian. But again yours looks great and texture look like what I have been wanting also. [​IMG]     

[​IMG]  Job well done 

DS 

17. disco

Thanks. I would like to put some jalapeno in but the missus would balk and I'm not that brave.

18. samuel trachet

samuel trachet Fire Starter

Disco--

You have inspired me!! Now I must make SS for my family. Where did you buy your fermento and casings? I cant wait to try this. Thanks!!

19. disco

Thanks, Samuel.

I got my Fermento from a sausage supply company, Stuffers. The casings I got from Canadian Tire. If you are in the US, one of the site sponsors carry these, http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/.

I really recommend giving it a try. I had a sandwich today that was terrific.

Disco

20. That looks fantastic, sausages are on my game plan your recipe and quick technique just moved it high up the list. I don't mind a little spice but many recipes I've seen usually sound like a bit much for our taste.