First Smoked Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQ Bird

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Many thanks to those that have come before me. Smoked my first chuck roast today and searched the site for tips on temps, time, and if/when to wrap. This is my go to strategy for almost every cook as the wealth of information here is immense, and I'm basically still a newb.

Got a 4 lb prime chuck roast from Costco and coated it with kosher salt and Memphis Dust and let it sit overnight. Next morning, fired up the MB Gravity 800 to 250 F using Cowboy lump charcoal with mesquite chunks mixed in. On goes the chuckie:

20210710_072001.jpg

After 6 hours in the smoke, though this pic is a little deceiving, as it was in fill sun. I swear the bark was darker:

20210710_134901.jpg

Then put the roast in a covered pan with 2 cups of beef broth and a chopped onion (forgot the pics), and back on the smoker for about 3 more hours. Started checking for tenderness at 195 F, probed nicely at 203 F, so pulled it and placed the whole pan in a warmed oven for a couple of hours.

Cut a slice to show the smoke ring:

20210710_182230.jpg

Pulled into large chunks:

20210710_182819.jpg

Plated up on a bed of cheese grits, with grilled zucchini, sliced tomatoes and some pickled jalapenos:

20210710_183442.jpg

Turned out great. Grilled zucchini was also tossed with Memphis Dust and the sweetness in the rub added great flavor. Best bite of the night, though, was equal parts beef and grits with a jalapeno ring to add tang/kick.

And of course, Henry gets his bite:

20210710_185134.jpg

However, maybe he shouldn't since he ate almost 2 oz of shredded cheddar off kitchen counter while I ran out to tend the grill.

Still a good boy, though.

Thanks for looking.

Bird

Last edited:
Good job bbq bird. Looks really good. Looks just like short ribs once pulled. if I can find that for a decent cost I’ll try it next weekend. What did that cost at Costco? Henry sounds just like my dogs. Good boy.

A fine piece of work right there, looks delicious, Like! Henry looks to be fairly trustworthy, tho apparently he is not! RAY

Looks good. I really like Costco chucks. Once I pan mine, I like a 50/50 mix of broth and apple juice. Adding some cubed Yukon Jacks to the pan too.

Nice job! I've smoked two chucks so far with limited results but I didn't finish in a pan with juices and veggies which sounds like what a lowly chick roast needs. Perhaps worth another shot. Thanks!

I’m new at all this and smoking chucks has been a pleasant surprise for me.

Smoked my first chuck roast today and searched the site for tips on temps, time, and if/when to wrap

The chuck roast and the whole meal look outstanding. It does my heart good however to see somebody using the search option. There's a wealth of info available and I sure wish more people would utilize it. Heck, I've been here over 8 years and I still use it regularly if I'm looking for specific info. Very nice job on all counts!!

Robert

Reactions: Twomorestrokes
Chuck is looking good today.
And Henry is lucky.

Thanks Edmonds

Good job bbq bird. Looks really good. Looks just like short ribs once pulled. if I can find that for a decent cost I’ll try it next weekend. What did that cost at Costco? Henry sounds just like my dogs. Good boy.

Thanks Steve. The prime chuck was $7.49/lb, but I'm in Seattle. Everything is expensive here. I'd expect they're cheaper in other areas.

A fine piece of work right there, looks delicious, Like! Henry looks to be fairly trustworthy, tho apparently he is not! RAY

Thanks Ray. Henry's trustworthy in that I can trust that when I turn my back, he's going after the food on the counter.😁

Looks good. I really like Costco chucks. Once I pan mine, I like a 50/50 mix of broth and apple juice. Adding some cubed Yukon Jacks to the pan too.

Thanks Bytor. That sounds good. Might have to give it a try next time.

Nice job! I've smoked two chucks so far with limited results but I didn't finish in a pan with juices and veggies which sounds like what a lowly chick roast needs. Perhaps worth another shot. Thanks!

Yeah, when searching for a plan, it seemed to be the consensus that chucks needed to be finished in liquid to keep from drying out. This worked out really well. Thanks.

I’m new at all this and smoking chucks has been a pleasant surprise for me.

Yep, they're a nice option for pulled beef.

Looks excellant !

Thanks Jim

The chuck roast and the whole meal look outstanding. It does my heart good however to see somebody using the search option. There's a wealth of info available and I sure wish more people would utilize it. Heck, I've been here over 8 years and I still use it regularly if I'm looking for specific info. Very nice job on all counts!!

Robert

Yep, so much info to learn and get inspired from. Thanks Robert.

I love a good smoked Chuck…yours looks great!

Thanks Cornman

Great looking meal! And this forum is full of helpful info, which is awesome! I think Henry just thought you shredded too much cheese!

Ryan

Looks like that MB Gravity 800 did a great job on that chuck. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing!!!

I am thinking of making some Arepas for the upcoming Independence Day Weekend. I was thinking of what would be a good beef to shred that is not Brisket (can't afford the current prices), and thought of Chuck Roast.

Just so I get the timeframe right of what you did, you had a total of 9 to 9.5 hours on the smoker, plus about 2 hours of 'resting' as it cooled in the oven?
I am just trying to get an idea of the timeframe I might be looking at.

Thank you in advance :)

Thank you for sharing!!!

I am thinking of making some Arepas for the upcoming Independence Day Weekend. I was thinking of what would be a good beef to shred that is not Brisket (can't afford the current prices), and thought of Chuck Roast.

Just so I get the timeframe right of what you did, you had a total of 9 to 9.5 hours on the smoker, plus about 2 hours of 'resting' as it cooled in the oven?
I am just trying to get an idea of the timeframe I might be looking at.

Thank you in advance :)
Yeah, it was about 9 hours total. However, I've not done many chuck roasts, and others on here have said that some can be quite finicky and take a lot longer. You gotta go by tenderness and it's not done until it's done.

Round here (Seattle), brisket and chuck roasts are basically the same price per pound, though brisket is hard to find in the grocery stores.

Good luck, and post pics of the cook. I've never had arepas but they sound delicious stuffed with smoked beef.

Reactions: BBQ Warlock
Yeah, it was about 9 hours total. However, I've not done many chuck roasts, and others on here have said that some can be quite finicky and take a lot longer. You gotta go by tenderness and it's not done until it's done.

Round here (Seattle), brisket and chuck roasts are basically the same price per pound, though brisket is hard to find in the grocery stores.

Good luck, and post pics of the cook. I've never had arepas but they sound delicious stuffed with smoked beef.
I've been rushed on time and had chuck roasts not get totally tender...doesn't take long to make tender in the instapot.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky