First smoke with MES 30 and AMNPS in the books

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Used MES 30 Gen 2 (but with top left vent like Gen 2.5). See other threads for info how how I set it up and my initial test with AMNPS.

So after testing things out and feeling I have it close enough for a "real test" I did both a Reverse Seared 2# bone in ribeye and some smoked wings.

Details on the Steak first:
At 1PM I used dry brined it with Dirty Dalmatian (Cracked Black Pepper,Kosher Salt, Lemon Pepper) and put it in the fridge.
steak1.jpg
One Pretty steak
steak2.jpg
Brined and Ready to go in Fridge

I set the smoker to 225 and while it was heating up I got the AMNPS started, using Pitmaster choice blend of pellets from Amazen Products.

I set my Thermoworks Smoke high alarm for 133 (bit of a compromise with wife, I would prefer 125) and at 5:17 PM placed the steak in the smoker, its internal temp was 31 at the time. Normally I would have pulled it out of the fridge and let it get closer to room temp was got busy and forgot. I wiped off as much of the brine as I could (another compromise with the wife) still enough to give it a good flavor.

At 6:53 PM it had reach 133 and came out of the smoker. Actually it did before that, but one of the challenges I have with these big marbled steaks is getting a consistent reading. seems like there is so much difference in temp with all the fat pockets my instant read meter got numbers from 122-138). I let it go a big longer (another compromise) until I got at least 130 at all spots.
steak3.jpg
Before the Sear

I tented it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. When it was close to the 10 minutes I heated up my Carbon steel skillet until piping hot, hot enough to smoke a touch of olive oil I put it the skillet. Then I put a pat of butter and seared the steak for 45 seconds, added another pat of butter and seared the other side for 45 seconds.

I like pan searing as you get so much more sear. Grill marks are pretty, but sear is yummy!. I also like this method because it has already rested, so you serve it right from the skillet still sizzling.

And finally the money shot! Notice nice Med Rare color, but not juices flowing on plate. Proof of the successful rest and technically steak is cooked closer to Medium. It took some convincing to get my wife to even try it cooked like this. But now that she has she a bit more on board, but still takes some convincing each time.

Steak was like deep fried butter with caramel sauce. So tender, smooth and silky. The AMNPS did great and it definitely gave it all the smoke flavor needed.
steak4.jpg

You know after reading my post it makes me wonder why I don't do 2 steaks, but no way I can eat one by myself. Hell we have a "fillet mignon" left after both of us ate this one and just seems like sacrilege to reheat it the next day.

I will post details on wings in a reply to this.

Ok, so now for the wings.

I dry brined them with my basic dry brine (3 parts kosher salt / 1 part baking powder). They went in the fridge around 3pm. Normally I would like to dry brine overnight, but this was last minute decision and we had to go pick up the wings.

After I got the steak in the smoker, I pulled the wings out of the fridge, so around 5:30 PM.

This next part is a bit counter intuitive, I just DRY brined them, now I rinse them off in cold water. Got to get that salt off so it doesn't overpower my rub. Once rinsed, I dried them really well with paper towels.

The half of them got some olive oil and Chef Paul Prudhomme BBQ seasoning for the Mrs. The other half got olive oil and Chef Paul's Blackened Redfish Magic for a Cajun flair.

wings1.jpg wings2.jpg

Then into the smoker that went to join the steak. Just about the time I finished my steak, the wings hit the 2 hour mark and were 160 degrees. I had already cranked my grill up as hot as it would go.

The Mrs's wings got crisped a bit and then Glazed with some Doc Brown's Really Bad Run BBQ sauce we had picked up at the Farmers Market. Mine just got crisped.
wings3.jpg

And the money shots
wings4.jpg

Moma's
wings5.jpg

Mine

Normally I would have pulled it out of the fridge and let it get closer to room temp was got busy and forgot.

Actually I prefer to do it this way. I'll even put the steak in the freezer for a bit before putting it in the smoker. To my way of thinking this allows it to take longer and thus get more smoke before hitting the target temp.

Actually I prefer to do it this way. I'll even put the steak in the freezer for a bit before putting it in the smoker. To my way of thinking this allows it to take longer and thus get more smoke before hitting the target temp.
Me to. A cold interior keeps the over cooked gray band under the sear at a minimum. I followed thermoworks recipe on searing a frozen solid steak 7 min. Per side then finishing indirectly, flipping at 2.5 min then turning 180* after 2.5 min. And continue these steps every 2.5 min. Till I hit my pull temp on my grill. 100% med. Rare between the sears. You have to season after searing the first side to get it to stick to the meat. Real juicy no loss of juice with this recipe but I like to dry brine steaks for over an hour for the steak to tenderize and get salt flavor into the meat. The lack of pentrating salt into the meat for flavor was the only con cooking from frozen. I've done this 3xs same consistent results. Thermoworks had a reverse sear smoker recipe to smoke super low at 160-170*F til IT of steak hits 100*F and sear till done flipping frequently to eliminate the grey under the sear. I haven't done this super low recipe but have always had a lot of grey with all my reverse sears which I want to eliminate.

Thermophoresis whereby hot particles of smoke migrate to a low energy object (in this case cold meat right out of the fridge or freezer) is the best way to attract smoke if you don't wet it. But when you wet it, it gives smoke something to stick to and the evaporative cooling on the surface starts thermophoresis all over again.
-Kurt

Great job on the steak. Looks downright delicious.
That was smart thinking--compromising with your wife. It's always best to have them on board when it comes to smoked meat.
So.....first smoke and you made the carousel. Not too shabby at all!!!
POINT
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky