First Smoke w/Qview

Discussion in 'Pork' started by sidefirebox, Jun 2, 2011.

1. This is my first attempt at smoking meat.  I smoked two butts Sunday and took one to the in-laws for Memorial Day.  The other we've eaten on since.  While I made a few mistakes, mostly due to poor planning, it turned out great.  I used Meowey's method (thanks Meowey) and used a store bought rub.  As an experiment, I used spicy brown mustard and rub on one and just rub on the other.  Next time, I will do a better job of planning and I will try a homemade rub (probably Jeff's).   I took pics right before foiling and here is the best one.  I didn't think to take pics after pulling.  Smoker is Char Griller Duo w/SFB, flipped fire grate and extended chimney.  

[​IMG]

2. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I also started my first butts with meoweys method. Tried & proven. Too bad you didn't get the money shot? Looks great though. Another thing you might try is Soflaquer's finishing sauce. It takes PP up another level!!

3. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks good for your first smoke, very nice color.[​IMG]

Since your new we'll let the Qview slide this time, But consider yourself warned  [​IMG]    LOL

4. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

For your first butts they look great! Heck I still critique myself after 33 years. [​IMG]

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great looking butts, nice color, good looking bark!   [​IMG]

6. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Way good looking chow!!

Craig

7. Thanks guys.  I'm really looking forward to the next smoke.  Oh, I forgot to mention that I spritzed with 3:1 apple juice and Bacardi gold every hour or so.  It just so happened that I had just enough Bacardi to make the mop.  Although, I was probably a little too stingy with the mop. (Only give it 2-4 spritzes per side.)  I will be more generous next time.  

8. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Awesome Butts

9. The apple juice and Bacardi's give the butts a nice sheen. Bet you and the butcher will be on a first name basis by the end of the summer.