First smoke of the season. The struggle begins.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kurd2408

Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
First smoke of the season today. Temps are finally getting warm enough. Got a 7.5lb butt to smoke and some other goodies to show later. I'm definitely outs of practice. Fired up the OK Joe and it seemed to warm up fast. Put the butt on at 6am and found myself in a fight to keep the temps below 260. Had to keep closing the baffle up, and couldn't get TBS. Just puffy white smoke. It was so frustrating and I didn't know why the temp was so high. After a half hour of fighting I played with my pit probe and moved it around. Suddenly temp shows 160. No wonder I have white smoke. Must have had the probe in a bad spot. Opened the baffle up and went right to 230 and TBS. Hopefully 30min of white smoke won't be a problem. That's what I get not smoking since November. Been on the smoker for 3hrs and already at 115. Seems a little high, may have to move that probe too. Planning on eating around six so we'll see. May have to rest it a little longer than usual.

All rubbed up up with Jeff's rub about to go on.

115F IT in three hours isn't unusual at all.  For a 7.5 lb butt you might want to crank the temp up to 275-300F so it will be rested and ready to serve by 6 PM.  At 230F chamber temp, you've got about a 3-5 hour stall coming up, then a slow climb to 203-205F, possibly another stall or two.  Just saying........ 

165 now. Climbing out of the stall. Seemed to last a couple hours. Definitely not gonna be eating at 6. Lol. That's OK, its just my wife and I eating so we can wait.

Just threw on some side goodies. ABTs and some no boil Mac and cheese. Did mesquite for the butt, but ran out so doing apple for the sides. Can't wait to eat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky