First shot at smoked cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HangtownSmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
Placerville, Ca
The unseasonably cool weather this week in the Sierras got me a little froggy so on a whim, I decided to try smoking cheese last night. After reading everyone's info here I decided to smoke for 3 hours over apple using my amazn tube smoker. Ambient temps were 77* when I started and 69* when finished. I was able to keep smoker temps below 80* for the most part by opening up vents and chimney all the way. I did have to open the door a couple times near the end.

Went with extra sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and Swiss. Wanted to do Gouda but everything was smoked Gouda where I went (kinda defeats the purpose).
IMG_0256.JPG

Brought it to room temp then blocked it up.
IMG_0257.JPG

Put it in smoker with some TBS (really thin based on this photo - trust me it was there).

IMG_0258.JPG

Pulled after three hours and rested outside for an hour. Then put in beer fridge overnight.

IMG_0255.JPG

Pretty happy with the way it turned out. Did a quick sample of each and didn't have the "ashtray" taste some have mentioned here. Could be due to the fruit wood and short smoke, or just dumb luck. Regardless I will vacuum seal it and age for a while before sampling again. Based on this result, I may try increasing the smoke time a bit on the next batch. And find that Gouda (wife's favorite)! Thanks for looking and all the information here that flattens the learning curve.

Reactions: js0813 and SmokinAl
Looks good, nice color. If you think it's a little lite on smoke flavor you can always toss it back on the smoker for a second go around.

Chris

Living in Wisconsin, cheese is going to be a must do on my list but... Had a co-worker in Seattle who use to smoke Velveeta. Yeah, I know, cheep ol Velveeta. But I've got to say it was one of the best smoked cheese's I've ever had. Several bricks will be included if my smoker can be set that low.

I'm going to guess that your lack of "ash trayeyness" is the result of your patience waiting for nice TBS before putting the cheese in the box. (Nice box, by the way.)

Reactions: Scott "Stu" Stewart
Looks good, nice color. If you think it's a little lite on smoke flavor you can always toss it back on the smoker for a second go around.

Chris
Thanks Chris. I think I read that you will often do two, 2 hour smokes I believe? Not sure that mine is light on smoke flavor just yet. I am going to let it age and then judge. That should give me a baseline of sorts.

I'm going to guess that your lack of "ash trayeyness" is the result of your patience waiting for nice TBS before putting the cheese in the box. (Nice box, by the way.)
Thanks Braz. I am enjoying the "box". With this forum I shouldn't run out of things to try!

You may be right about the mellow smoke results; I did fire up the amazn tube to make sure it was going while I blocked and racked the cheese.

Living in Wisconsin, cheese is going to be a must do on my list but... Had a co-worker in Seattle who use to smoke Velveeta. Yeah, I know, cheep ol Velveeta. But I've got to say it was one of the best smoked cheese's I've ever had. Several bricks will be included if my smoker can be set that low.
Shoot me a message; I'm thinking of trying to put together a WI meet up to smoke some cheese this fall and just have people meet up, maybe do some ribs or some thing.

And Hangtown you make me want to crack open the stuff I did, though I'm forcing my self to wait 2 weeks lol.

It sure looks good from here!
It really took on a nice color!
I can't wait until it cools down here, cause I'm on my last block of smoked cheese right now!
Al

You definitely should try, it is not that difficult after you research what different people have done here. Try the Amazn products to keep temps low - can't imagine it would be an issue with Wisconsin fall/winter weather. Smoked Velveeta huh? Grilled cheese sammies perhaps? There are folks on this site who smoke mac n cheese so why not that too? Good luck.

Reactions: Scott "Stu" Stewart
Shoot me a message; I'm thinking of trying to put together a WI meet up to smoke some cheese this fall and just have people meet up, maybe do some ribs or some thing.

And Hangtown you make me want to crack open the stuff I did, though I'm forcing my self to wait 2 weeks lol.
I may have a hard time waiting two weeks myself Tom. Because it was my first time I didn't do much (3 lbs.). Probably won't last long.

It sure looks good from here!
It really took on a nice color!
I can't wait until it cools down here, cause I'm on my last block of smoked cheese right now!
Al

Thanks Al. Bacon will be my next cold smoke and I plan on using the method you and Ms. Judy posted with the Berkshire Belly and dry rub. I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

awesome! I really wanna build something like that. Much thanks for the link to the build!
Of course! Let me know if you have questions, I can at least tell you what not to do...
Spent a week in Alabama earlier this year. Loved it and the people. Looking forward to getting back some day. Southern hospitality is no cliche there, for sure.

Reactions: js0813
Of course! Let me know if you have questions, I can at least tell you what not to do...
Spent a week in Alabama earlier this year. Loved it and the people. Looking forward to getting back some day. Southern hospitality is no cliche there, for sure.

I lived down in TN for a few years, and though all the folk around called me 'The Yank' it wasn't in a mean way, I really miss southern hospitality and cooking. Even the big towns there got a small town feel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky