1940 GE Fridge Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HangtownSmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
Placerville, Ca
I first ran across SMF while researching how to convert an old fridge to a smoker. As I mentioned in my Roll Call post, after stealing so many ideas from others here, I felt obliged to join and post. We found this fridge in the back of an old shed at our duck club in the Delta. The farmer agreed to let us have it though he probably thought we were crazy when we said we were turning it into a smoker. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it before starting the teardown (never dawned on me I would be posting anything about it). Just finished it two weeks ago, so here it is.

Like others on this forum, I found the same conditions during the teardown; compressor filled with sulfur dioxide, cardboard insulation, plastic flanges holding the door shell and coldbox. What nobody mentioned was almost 150 standard slot aluminum sheet metal screws holding these last two items in. About 3/4 came out without stripping, the rest had to be cut and drilled.

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

Sanded and painted (neighbor is a painter and shot primer and paint with an airless).
IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

Replaced the flange and ceiling of what holds the smoke chamber and door shell with aluminum.
IMG_0252.JPG

Replaced the cardboard insulation with Roxul SafeNSound.

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

Vents and chimney are made out of 4" exhaust tubing with flanges welded and riveted (inside only).
IMG_0241.JPG

For the vents I used pinwheel-style but a talented friend made pucks out of them so they can be removed to hook up an external smoke chamber if I ever wanted to in the future.
IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

Next was to install the shelf brackets and electric element. I decided to go electric after a friend had problems with temps using propane in windy conditions on a similar build.The brackets are 1" angle iron (should have used aluminum - heavy). The element is the 1500 watt replacement from Amazon.
IMG_0245.JPG

The element can be used in two ways, plugged straight into an outlet and use the dial-type temperature control,
IMG_0249.JPG

Or, I can also use a digital temperature control (max temp is 230 degrees with this). I installed the temp sensor in the back wall approximately 2/3 of the way up.
IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

The smoker has nine shelves plus one for a drip pan. Holes in the smoke chamber were plugged with silicone and rivets. Gasket is 1 x 1/4 Lavalock.

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

The first break in/seasoning I was able to get the temps to 290 degrees in one hour and 400 degrees in two. Plenty of heat from the element and insulation. So far I have smoked pork roasts (for PP), ABT's, Dutch's beans, and last weekend about 35 lbs of ribs. I have used both the Amazn tube smoker and a pan of chips directly on the element. Looking forward to cooler weather for cold smoking bacon and cheese. And of course for wild game sausages, snack sticks, and jerky. It is quickly becoming and addiction. In closing I have to acknowledge the help of several friends and family members who made this build much easier. Thanks for looking and for the ideas and information.

Very nice job,have seen several over the years and the folks bragged on the low amount of charcoal/wood used ,this has to be much better insulated than what they have so temps should stay really stable no matter the weather imo

Nice looking smoker you built. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Chris

That is a fantastic looking build. Congratulations.
Or, I can also use a digital temperature control (max temp is 230 degrees with this). I installed the temp sensor in the back wall approximately 2/3 of the way up.
You might look into an Auber PID controller to allow you to get above that 230 threshold.

Interesting build,very nice.

Thanks MC!
Very nice job,have seen several over the years and the folks bragged on the low amount of charcoal/wood used ,this has to be much better insulated than what they have so temps should stay really stable no matter the weather imo

Thanks 243. It has 3-5 inches of insulation depending on the wall. Should be able to maintain temps using the vents and chimney damper in most situations. We only get a handful of snow days a year in this part of the Sierras.

Nice looking smoker you built. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I did post one Q shot in the ABT sub forum, but I will try to get more soon. I am not very consistent about getting pics during the cook. It is definitely no longer shiny inside.

That is a fantastic looking build. Congratulations.

You might look into an Auber PID controller to allow you to get above that 230 threshold.

Thanks Braz! I considered the Auber, but this was simple, off the shelf, and relatively inexpensive. Cheap and lazy I suppose. Plus I can still get the higher temps using the dial control and a multi probe thermometer, just can't regulate it automatically. If the cheap comes back to bite me I will definitely take another look at the Auber.

Nice job on your smoker build! I like!

Thanks Yank!

I first ran across SMF while researching how to convert an old fridge to a smoker. As I mentioned in my Roll Call post, after stealing so many ideas from others here, I felt obliged to join and post. We found this fridge in the back of an old shed at our duck club in the Delta. The farmer agreed to let us have it though he probably thought we were crazy when we said we were turning it into a smoker. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it before starting the teardown (never dawned on me I would be posting anything about it). Just finished it two weeks ago, so here it is.

Like others on this forum, I found the same conditions during the teardown; compressor filled with sulfur dioxide, cardboard insulation, plastic flanges holding the door shell and coldbox. What nobody mentioned was almost 150 standard slot aluminum sheet metal screws holding these last two items in. About 3/4 came out without stripping, the rest had to be cut and drilled.

View attachment 375538
View attachment 375535

Sanded and painted (neighbor is a painter and shot primer and paint with an airless).
View attachment 375537

View attachment 375536

Replaced the flange and ceiling of what holds the smoke chamber and door shell with aluminum.
View attachment 375540

Replaced the cardboard insulation with Roxul SafeNSound.

View attachment 375541
View attachment 375542
View attachment 375543
View attachment 375544

Vents and chimney are made out of 4" exhaust tubing with flanges welded and riveted (inside only).
View attachment 375546

For the vents I used pinwheel-style but a talented friend made pucks out of them so they can be removed to hook up an external smoke chamber if I ever wanted to in the future.
View attachment 375547

View attachment 375548

Next was to install the shelf brackets and electric element. I decided to go electric after a friend had problems with temps using propane in windy conditions on a similar build.The brackets are 1" angle iron (should have used aluminum - heavy). The element is the 1500 watt replacement from Amazon.
View attachment 375549

The element can be used in two ways, plugged straight into an outlet and use the dial-type temperature control,
View attachment 375550

View attachment 375551

View attachment 375552

The smoker has nine shelves plus one for a drip pan. Holes in the smoke chamber were plugged with silicone and rivets. Gasket is 1 x 1/4 Lavalock.

View attachment 375553

View attachment 375554

The first break in/seasoning I was able to get the temps to 290 degrees in one hour and 400 degrees in two. Plenty of heat from the element and insulation. So far I have smoked pork roasts (for PP), ABT's, Dutch's beans, and last weekend about 35 lbs of ribs. I have used both the Amazn tube smoker and a pan of chips directly on the element. Looking forward to cooler weather for cold smoking bacon and cheese. And of course for wild game sausages, snack sticks, and jerky. It is quickly becoming and addiction. In closing I have to acknowledge the help of several friends and family members who made this build much easier. Thanks for looking and for the ideas and information.
That is truly cool. Very nice work.

Looks Great!!! Glad you were able to save it from the scrap pile.
Thanks Possum (Mr. George Jones' nickname btw). Wasn't quite on the scrap pile yet, it still worked though it was covered in peat dirt with old rat's nest in the compressor area.
But damn, look at your '39! That is one impressive build my man. I don't have the talent to compete with that. I hope you are still using it. Coincidentally, one of my partners at the club is from Monterey. Thanks for touching bases.

Thanks Possum (Mr. George Jones' nickname btw). Wasn't quite on the scrap pile yet, it still worked though it was covered in peat dirt with old rat's nest in the compressor area.
But damn, look at your '39! That is one impressive build my man. I don't have the talent to compete with that. I hope you are still using it. Coincidentally, one of my partners at the club is from Monterey. Thanks for touching bases.

Sorry for the long delay in response, I don't have many chances to kill time online...Thanks, I actually sold it to Grove Market over in Pacific Grove. They're using it for their catering business. I completed another one, just posted pics in the "Builds" section. They are getting hard to come across in good condition...Planning on building many more. Let me know if you ever get tired of plugging your unit in, I'd be happy to convert yours to wood.

This is beautiful.... I am starting a build with almost the exact same fridge. My original plan was to use propane but looking at this and see others recommend electric I might have to change my plan. Is that element run off 110V? I don't want to have to run a 220V outlet if I don't have to. I too was planning on using the A-MAZE-N tray for smoke so this looks perfect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky