First jerky attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
Kids gave me some herky making stuff for Christmas, figured it was time to give it a try.

Started out with some Cabelas sweet and spicy jerky seasoning and just over 3lbs of eye of round.
20200208_093912.jpg

Kids and I sliced it up yesterday and gave it a good mix with the seasoning and into the fridge it went for the night. Got up this morn, had some coffee and laid the meat out to cone to room temp
20200209_102352.jpg

After it came to room temp and kids finished breakfast, about 1030 we threw it in the MES set to 180 with some apple in hopes we would have a tasty product in the end.
20200209_104914.jpg

Three and a half hours later, temp in the smoker running between 165 and 173, emerged what appears to be some tasty jerky.

Brought it in, kids, myself and wife all gave it a thumbs up for a first attempt
20200209_140132.jpg

I was rather nervous doing my first jerky, but in the end, I really shouldnt have, its really easy.

Reactions: kruizer and gary s
Not sure if it was done. I see a few pieces that look done. But the rest I'm not sure about.

How Long did you end up smoking it

Gary

Actual smoke time was about 2 hrs, then satnin the smoker for another 1.5 hrs without smoke.

It all pulled apart quite easily, it being my first try, didnt want to overdo it

3.5 hours at 180. Hopefully it got to 160 IT. The meat looks thick, 1/4" or better. That would concern me.

It was cut to 1/8" to 1/4" and seems to be cooked all the way thru, def not tough but tender.

How do you think it would have turned out if you hung it versus placing it on the grates?

Being my first attempt, dont really know, but could be worth a try

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky