First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jclind1966

Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
I am going to smoke my first brisket this weekend. Looking for a good beginner recipe and some tips.

You'll want to smoke it at 250*-270* and then foil it after 3 hours (around 160*) and bring the temp up to 200*-205* for it to be tender and juicy.

I have marinade and rub recipes that I've pieced together and really like:

Brisket Marinade

1 1/2 cups red wine
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper

Brisket Rub

1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons oregano

I let it sit in the marinade overnight, then rub it and let it sit at room temp for 30-40 mins while I heat up the smoker. These 2 recipes are designed to compliment each other, so if you just use a rub, then you'll probably want to add some stuff to it and let it sit in the rub overnight.

Good luck!

I don't marinate my brisket but do rub with a similar rub as mythmaster listed. Rub the night before smoking. (Everyone has a secret rub, right? Mine is so secret I can't remember what I put in it the last time) I have never worried about internal temperature but the 160 should be about right. I know my pit and have used trial and error over many years. I usually wrap after 4 hours and continue to cook for another 3-4 hours.

In the last couple of years I started using a mop and that seemed to elevate the quality of my briskets. Mopped every hour or so. I guess this is a real time marinade. I started with the beer mop that Steven Raichlen published somewhere. I have modified it a bit over the years. I am sure you can Google Raichlen's recipe.

I am going to try wrapping in butcher paper next time. I too have used foil in the past but the pit master at Franklin's Barbeque in Austin (about the best I have ever had) says the foil keeps too much moisture in and he uses butcher paper if he is worried about too much smoke. This gives a better crust.

I also think you have to use a full blown brisket, none of those trimmed girly ones.

i don't marinate myself, having a meat therm is the best way to go and knowing when the brisket gets up to the 200-205 range with no guess work on it.
cutting the amount of smoke flavor can be done a few different ways, one way is use a smaller amount of wood and don't refill the wood box, or mix the wood with something more neutral like Oak (50/50 mix) or use a fruit wood. all sizes and cuts of briskets can be used for smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky