First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jclind1966

Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
I am going to smoke my first brisket this weekend. Looking for a good beginner recipe and some tips.

You'll want to smoke it at 250*-270* and then foil it after 3 hours (around 160*) and bring the temp up to 200*-205* for it to be tender and juicy.

I have marinade and rub recipes that I've pieced together and really like:

Brisket Marinade

1 1/2 cups red wine
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper

Brisket Rub

1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons oregano

I let it sit in the marinade overnight, then rub it and let it sit at room temp for 30-40 mins while I heat up the smoker. These 2 recipes are designed to compliment each other, so if you just use a rub, then you'll probably want to add some stuff to it and let it sit in the rub overnight.

Good luck!

I don't marinate my brisket but do rub with a similar rub as mythmaster listed. Rub the night before smoking. (Everyone has a secret rub, right? Mine is so secret I can't remember what I put in it the last time) I have never worried about internal temperature but the 160 should be about right. I know my pit and have used trial and error over many years. I usually wrap after 4 hours and continue to cook for another 3-4 hours.

In the last couple of years I started using a mop and that seemed to elevate the quality of my briskets. Mopped every hour or so. I guess this is a real time marinade. I started with the beer mop that Steven Raichlen published somewhere. I have modified it a bit over the years. I am sure you can Google Raichlen's recipe.

I am going to try wrapping in butcher paper next time. I too have used foil in the past but the pit master at Franklin's Barbeque in Austin (about the best I have ever had) says the foil keeps too much moisture in and he uses butcher paper if he is worried about too much smoke. This gives a better crust.

I also think you have to use a full blown brisket, none of those trimmed girly ones.

i don't marinate myself, having a meat therm is the best way to go and knowing when the brisket gets up to the 200-205 range with no guess work on it.
cutting the amount of smoke flavor can be done a few different ways, one way is use a smaller amount of wood and don't refill the wood box, or mix the wood with something more neutral like Oak (50/50 mix) or use a fruit wood. all sizes and cuts of briskets can be used for smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky