First Bacon with A-Maze-N 5X5 in MBE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Today was prep for tomorrow's rotisserie ribs and vegetables. I was told to make the bacon, so I did. I used the basic German Bacon recipe from Hank Shaw's website Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (attached) EDIT: ADDED PINK SALT BY WEIGHT to the recipe.

Now, this was a good opportunity to learn to use the 5x5 A-Maze I received last week.
  1. Filled one row with Maple pellets, added gel, start fire, burn 10 min +/-,
  2. Placed in bottom shelf of MBE 40 in the back of the smoker,
  3. Opened chip filler to ~2 in, Removed chip tray, Fully opened exhaust.
  4. Ran full smoke for the first 3 hours of the smoke. She was flawless.
Smoked for a total of 5 hours.
  1. Prewarmed (balance temp spread) @ 190F for ~ 30 mins,
  2. Probed bacon slabs, placed in smoker without smoke for another 30 mins.
  3. Started @190F and ran for the 2 hours, temp swing 180F-200F.
  4. After 2 hours, outside got a little windy, so increased the temp to 200F. Temp swing between 195F and 210F.
  5. Stayed @ 200F for the remainder of the smoke.
  6. Full smoke until the A-Maze-N went out, around 3 +/- hours. Nice light blue smoke. 🙃
  7. Continued with heat for final 2 hours
  8. Racked to cool, into fridge overnight, slice tomorrow for the vegetables and ribs.
Lessons Learned: Reduce smoke to 2 or 2.5 hours. The A-Maze-N puts out a lot of smoke and it's continuous, not like the tray. Best investment I've made yet. Use Ink Bird thermometer to monitor chamber temp as well as meat probes. Better accuracy and I don't end up playing the "chase the temp around the smoker" game?!

Thanks for staying with me on this dissertation. Mrs. Wurtz and I hope everyone has a SAFE Memorial Day Celebration with family and friends.
Please pause tomorrow if only for a moment to remember: All gave some, Some gave all and Some are still giving!

Fatcap.jpg
After 12 Days Dry Brine -Fat Cap

Meat Side.jpg
After 12 Days Dry Brine -Meat Side

Top.jpg
Top after 5 hrs.
Sides.jpg
Side View
Meat Bottom.jpg
Bottom/Meat View
🍻
John

Attachments

• German Bacon - Hunter Angler Gardener Cook.pdf
    129.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Looks really good from here. Bet it's going to taste good also

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Lessons Learned: Reduce smoke to 2 or 2.5 hours. The A-Maze-N puts out a lot of smoke and it's continuous, not like the tray. Best investment I've made yet. Use Ink Bird thermometer to monitor chamber temp as well as meat probes. Better accuracy and I don't end up playing the "chase the temp around the smoker" game?!
The key when using a pellet smoke generator is to have as large of a smoker and as much airflow as possible. I have both a sawdust generator and several pellet tubes. They each are wonderful but they each have their place.

To all, THANK YOU for the likes, comments.

Thanks for the great information about the pellet smoke generators thirdeye.

Disco - can't tell you how the color arose, from the spice/brine, the maple smoke or a combination of both. But, I was surprised and liked the color that appeared.

DRKsmoking, already getting the "meal" together. It's a beautiful day here in SC so the grills should work just fine (wishful thinking?!) Photos will be posted - the good, the bad, and the ugly. LOL!

Thanks for the points gmc2003. We'll see shortly if they are to be added or subtracted from the score when Mrs. Wurtz tires the bacon in a little while. 🙃

See ya'll a little latter today. Be safe and enjoy the time with friends and family. 🍻
John

The thick one was removed @148F and the thinner one was @155F. Took the both out at the same time. I'll cook the bacon prior to eating and I did add Pink Salt by weight to the spice/brine mix.(see edit in initial note.)🍻
John

Looks Great, Meister!!!
Since you already took it to over 145° IT, I wouldn't cook it again.
I would recommend you just warm it up before eating it.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Well folks, we made it through the taste test with Mrs. Wurtz a little while ago. She beat me to the stove, and cooked it crispy - her, I mean our way. Oh well, it was still good. She gave "us" a 9 out of 10. We were surprised and very happy that it wasn't salty with a nice spice flavor balance. Sliced her a little thick so it wouldn't shrink up too much. Cooked up nicely. Fat remaining in the pan for 2 batches, ~ 1/2lb total cooked was about a 1/4 cup. Not bad for the quantity of fat on the meat.

Bagged about 1lb per bag and ended up with 4 bags 1lb +/- FYI - The little Ink Bird vac sealer is a work horse.

gmc2003 we got POSITIVE POINTS FROM MRS. Wurtz!! Wo Ho!!🎉🥳

Thanks Ya'll for joining in with the thread. I really appreciate the comments and the likes aren't missed either! Time to get back to work and start the rib machine going!!🍻
John

Sliced.jpg
Sliced about 1/8"

Vac bagged.jpg
Vac Sealed with the Ink Bird.

Fried.jpg
Test Run - Crispy?! Tasted great,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky