First attempt at sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ac45acp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Bisbee Arizona
Next week I am planning my first snack sticks. I have done a lot of reading and I am going to to use this recipe.

10 lbs. meat

2tsp #1 cure

4 TBL paprika

6 TBL ground mustard

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp white pepper

1 tsp ground celery

1 tsp ground mace or nutmeg

1 tsp granulated garlic

3-4 TBL kosher salt

½ – ¾ cup powdered milk

½ cup brown sugar or maple syrup

Stuff into 19mm. mahogany casings then in the dehydrator at 100 degrees for a couple hours to dry. Next into the smoker at 200 degrees until internal temp. is 155. Then into ice water. Did I miss anything? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

I would smoke them at 130 for an hour and bump them up 10 degrees every hour. Until you hit 175 degrees . At 200 the fat will start to render out of them.

Sounds good , send pics...remember

worthless.gif

Have a wonderful Holiday Season and...

I would smoke them at 130 for an hour and bump them up 10 degrees every hour. Until you hit 175 degrees . At 200 the fat will start to render out of them.
i might just use the dehydrator to obtain the max internal temp it will give me, the highest setting is 180. then finish in smoker. my el cheapo smoker is too unstable under 180-190.

thanks

Cool Tony.....looks like you have the recipe in line..... I would suggest you do a test run with a small amount first before attacking it full force.... You need to keep your temps below 175 in the smoker or you will get fat rendering.. If your temps cant stay below 175 and you go over its ok to have some fat render but it has to be quick....make sure it reaches IT of 160...

Cool Tony.....looks like you have the recipe in line..... I would suggest you do a test run with a small amount first before attacking it full force.... You need to keep your temps below 175 in the smoker or you will get fat rendering.. If your temps cant stay below 175 and you go over its ok to have some fat render but it has to be quick....make sure it reaches IT of 160...

X2

OK. I’ll ask the question. Why use mahogany casings for sticks?

I’ve only done sticks a couple of times, but I thought you would want an eatable casing because of the small size 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

OK. I’ll ask the question. Why use mahogany casings for sticks?

I’ve only done sticks a couple of times, but I thought you would want an eatable casing because of the small size 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
Arnie, I use the mahogany casings on my sticks also. The ones I use are edible. You can use the clear or the mahogany ones it's your choice.

i might just use the dehydrator to obtain the max internal temp it will give me, the highest setting is 180. then finish in smoker. my el cheapo smoker is too unstable under 180-190.
thanks

A hot plate works really good. $10-$15 bucks is what it will cost.

Next week I am planning my first snack sticks. I have done a lot of reading and I am going to to use this recipe.

10 lbs. meat

2tsp #1 cure

4 TBL paprika

6 TBL ground mustard

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp white pepper

1 tsp ground celery

1 tsp ground mace or nutmeg

1 tsp granulated garlic

3-4 TBL kosher salt

½ – ¾ cup powdered milk

½ cup brown sugar or maple syrup

Stuff into 19mm. mahogany casings then in the dehydrator at 100 degrees for a couple hours to dry. Next into the smoker at 200 degrees until internal temp. is 155. Then into ice water. Did I miss anything? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

I'm not sure exactly what kind of meat your using, but I posted a recipe out there for venison jajapeno pepper jack cheese ss under my user name exromenyer. I've used the identical recipe for snack sticks. Again it is about ones taste preferences but I'm not sure the nutmeg/mace and celery will be that tasty. Also not sure about the sugar/maple sugar unless the goal is for a breakfast sausage which it sounds like. Most of us also add some liquid smoke to the recipe also as it enhances the flavor. A little of that goes a long ways too.....

Thanks, Tony (also)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky