Finally got a snack stick recipe that I love.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
5#'s of meat at 2% is....... 5 x 454 = 2270 grams x 0.02 = 45 grams
thanks Dave.
I looked at my bag and it said a half of teaspoon per pound. But will go with your calculations on this one. Any idea how much dry milk to add to this also. Plan to smoke up five pounds the day after Xmas. Santa brought me a new mes 30 yesterday. Already have my amaze pellet smoker,lem stuffer and 19 mm cases. So I'm good to go as soon as I fine tune the receipe

Amesphos recommends 0.3-0.5 % by weight.... I would go with 0.4%

NFDM rec. 1-3%... I would go with 2%......

Then adjust later if you wish....

I would NOT add the 2 ingredients to the same batch.... Use one or the other..... there may be a conflict in the finished product if you add both.....

I would NOT add the 2 ingredients to the same batch.... Use one or the other..... there may be a conflict in the finished product if you add both.....
got it!!

5#'s of meat at 2% is....... 5 x 454 = 2270 grams x 0.02 = 45 grams NFDM

5#'s of meat at 0.4% = 5 x 454 = 2270 grams x 0.004 = 9.1 grams Ames Phos

Then you can adjust on the next batch....

5#'s of meat at 2% is....... 5 x 454 = 2270 grams x 0.02 = 45 grams NFDM

5#'s of meat at 0.4% = 5 x 454 = 2270 grams x 0.004 = 9.1 grams Ames Phos

Then you can adjust on the next batch....

got it!!thanks. Sorry for being brain dead. Got down now.

I wasted a few minutes using my slow decrepit brain and had it figured out but with Daves keen sharp mind he beat me to it.... I knew I should have just waited,,,lol

Evening Joe........ Did I get it right ????? A back up is ALWAYS welcome.... My dyslexic, partially alzheimered brain can use all the help it can get...

Spot on.............
icon14.gif

Evening Joe........ Did I get it right ????? A back up is ALWAYS welcome.... My dyslexic, partially alzheimered brain can use all the help it can get...
I think we are all there. Another passing year and brain keeps missing a beat,,,,especially with math!!!

I use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. per pound of meat.  !/4 tsp per pound allows some shrinkage 1/2 tsp per pound has less shrinkage but also makes the meat a bit spongy.  I would suggest the 1/4 tsp. per pound of meat.  since your using such a small quantity of powder you should dilute the powder in water to get even distribution of Amesphos in the 5 #  of meat.  Out of five pounds of meat you should yield close to 3.5 lbs of meat when the product is finished using 1/4 tsp. per pound.

Stuffing today and doing the smoke tomorrow. This is my first com,e ,,,that's why all the questions the other day. Looking at the pics I can hello these were hung because of the flay spot where they were dropped over the dowel rods. Would not this whole section be very dry since it is thinner than the rest of the stick ?
To not have the flat section should I tie the two sticks together and hang them by the string in the middle? Or would just laying them on the racks be a better way to go? Why hang them vs the racks in my MES 30 ?

Merry Xmas to all. We made it through another one!!

I lay mine on a rack and rotate 180 degrees .   The first time I rotate is when the casings start to dry, the top will be pale looking and the bottom will be red. I rotate them so the pale side is down.   Then again later  when they hit 130 IT.

Sounds like a plan. I guess I need to rotate the racks like every 2 hours or so from top to bottom also

I have a Bradley that I cold smoke my bacon in and hang that. But I only use the Bradley to cold smoke in. Those pucks were just to damn expensive !! Plus the heating element went out and I decided to buy a MES. I like the idea of setting a temp to whatever and it going there. My Bradley had the slide control for heat. Never new where it was going.
Will use my amaze pellet tray and remove the pellet dumper and tray to get airflow for the amaze. I also like to add a bit of charcoal dust and tiny crushed pieces to the pellets so it won't go out

Last edited:
I really like your recipe and want to make it but I have a question... What does the MSG do for the recipe - I'm allergic to MSG and would have to leave it out.  Or what can I use to substitute it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky