Favorite widely available bourbon or whiskey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just watched a few Youtube videos about this brand, by itself or compared to more well known brands. What a hoot!

I don't know what they claim to be talking about, but I will simplify the process.

When I taste it, I will determine whether it tastes good!

These Youtube experts with their "note", "hints", "fruity", "nutty" whatever, make me laugh!

If it tastes good to me, I'll drink it. If not, I won't.

Reactions: bigfurmn
If it's no good, add ice. Get 'em cold enough and they're all good.

Jim Beam's Bookers is my all-round fave but the word got out. It's now priced well beyond my wherewithal.

If it's no good, add ice. Get 'em cold enough and they're all good.

Yep...or use them in cocktails. I was recently gifted a bottle of Old Forrester (hadn't tried it before) that didn't really fit my taste well...but if I mix it in a cocktail, it's just fine.

Red

Huh... thanks for the heads up! I just didn't think of ordering online other than straight from the maker. $15 for shipping is a bit steep so I'm gonna hafta make a decision if it's worth that much to me. Again, thank you!
Just got this in...
20230413_122813[1].jpg

Ordered online from 3brothersliquor.com. 12 one liter bottles, each box has 2 layers, shipped to my door for $480, $40/bottle. Not bad considering it's impossible to find around me. Myself and 3 friends are splitting this...

Congrats, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Is it that popular there, or does SC have strange import laws? Not too Far from KY for a road trip if you really like it. It is all over the place here. 1.75's, store picks etc.

B BigW. , it's popular here, I think, because everyone has heard of it, but can't get their hands on it. There are no laws restricting it, it's just that the distributors get so very little of it and it's gone as soon as it hits the stores. Doesn't make much sense for something that's so widely available elsewhere...

That is good stuff.

Hey Ron!

If I'm being honest, at first I didn't think that bottle was gonna fit my taste very well.

But the more of it I drank, the more it has grown on me. It'll probably never be one of my favorites, but but I've decided that it's definitely a bottle to keep on hand from now on!

Red

Hey Ron!

If I'm being honest, at first I didn't think that bottle was gonna fit my taste very well.

But the more of it I drank, the more it has grown on me. It'll probably never be one of my favorites, but but I've decided that it's definitely a bottle to keep on hand from now on!

Red
Red,

Everyone has different tastes. There are lots of different flavors in bourbon and not everyone likes the heavy oak profile. I happen to like it. Woodford Double Oak is another good example. That said, I like the Old Forester 1920 better than the 1910. I'm a fan of higher proofed bourbons.

Reactions: seenred
Red,

Everyone has different tastes. There are lots of different flavors in bourbon and not everyone likes the heavy oak profile. I happen to like it. Woodford Double Oak is another good example. That said, I like the Old Forester 1920 better than the 1910. I'm a fan of higher proofed bourbons.

Agreed! You're definitely right about taste - everyone's is different. And now that you mention Woodford Reserve labels, I begin to see a pattern in my bourbon tastes...cuz I'm not the biggest WR fan either. I like it - it's just not one of my favorites. I'd say you are correct that the heavy oak profiles are just not in my wheelhouse.

Red

Reactions: ron50
This dont fall under the Bourbon/whiskey but I thought it might go well here.

I bought this when we were in the Dominican.
I did get a shot of it from the store and it was pretty good so I got a bottle and some extra wood.

Stay tuned.
mjuan.jpg

Reactions: KBFlyer
This dont fall under the Bourbon/whiskey but I thought it might go well here.

I bought this when we were in the Dominican.
I did get a shot of it from the store and it was pretty good so I got a bottle and some extra wood.

Stay tuned.
So it's a spiced rum? They're claiming it's smoked, hence the wood chips?

So it's a spiced rum? They're claiming it's smoked, hence the wood chips?
Son in law read it (Spanish) and said you add the wood to a clean bottle, add 2" of wine and fill the rest with rum. After a few days empty the liquid, add 1-2" of honey and dark rum to the bottle.

Easy I guess. I will find out.

Reactions: bill1
I think I'd try the rum on it's own first. If it's incredible, you may not want to use it all up in the suggested concoction, or at least you may want to only try a half-scale sample first.
I may try their concoction with a mass-produced rum from the corner grocer. What does it somewhat taste like? Any idea what the wood is?

This thread has been sleeping a few months. Time to give it some CPR.

Last year, I bought a 50ml bottle of Balcones Rye. I was NOT a fan, but it may have been too much for a rye newbie. Today, I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 Rye because I'm a fan of regular WT 101, but still a rye newbie.

I know WT 101 Rye is barely rye at 51%, but I'm now a huge fan. To me, it's like sipping a spiced Chrismas cake with a long finish. I love the nose, too.

I had a former writer friend who said she LOVED Rye whiskey. Today, I got a hint why she felt that way. Time to explore more rye options.

Ray

This thread has been sleeping a few months. Time to give it some CPR.

Last year, I bought a 50ml bottle of Balcones Rye. I was NOT a fan, but it may have been too much for a rye newbie. Today, I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 Rye because I'm a fan of regular WT 101, but still a rye newbie.

I know WT 101 Rye is barely rye at 51%, but I'm now a huge fan. To me, it's like sipping a spiced Chrismas cake with a long finish. I love the nose, too.

I had a former writer friend who said she LOVED Rye whiskey. Today, I got a hint why she felt that way. Time to explore more rye options.

Ray
Ray, if you are just getting into ryes, try the Basil Hayden Dark Rye, its a sweeter, not as overly spiced rye.

I do love me some WT101, may have to try their rye

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky