Favorite Leftover BBQ Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I love to repurpose leftovers and create whole new dishes.
Really helps to break any monotony.

Do you have a favorite way to reuse leftover BBQ?
Please share.

Here is one of my family favorites.

Southwestern Pan Fried Corn
Corn, precooked taken off cob or canned whole kernel.

Any smoked/grilled meat, shredded, chopped or cubed.

Onion, bell pepper and chiles, chopped coarse. Use just one or all three.

Pan fried in just a touch of oil.
I love bacon grease.

Spiced with Sea Salt, Cumin, Cayenne and Smoked Paprika.
Whatever blows your kilt up.

Last edited:
My lunch right now is a mix of rice with peppers, pineapple and onion from an Oxtail cook last Friday. I added pulled smoked pork belly in the leftovers today from Sunday's cook.
It's good for a lunch indeed.
20190708_132944.jpg

I made some brisket hash with potatoes, and onions for breakfast. Some eggs and toast to top it off and bam, what a great breakfast. Better than bacon! Yes, I said it.. :emoji_laughing:

Leftover pulled pork makes great burritos.

I want to try some pulled pork pazole when the weather gets colder....

JC :emoji_cat:

That looks great mmmmmmm :D

Most of my repurposed meat goes into tacos or enchiladas hahahaha. It is usually brisket or pork butt in these cases but sometimes chicken sliced fajita style, rarely ever pulled or shredded chicken here.

My other go to is to make bbq mac'n cheese mmmmmmm good!

With chicken and turkey I do like to make soups. Smoked chicken soups are awesome!

That is about it for me :)

Tacos.... Tacos and burritos are always a hit with leftover BBQ.
One of my favorites with beef is Machado for breakfast... Yum!
Machacado con Cebollas y Pimientos

Or pulled/shredded meat in larger ABTs. Example, Pablanos and Anaheims.
Those are entrees.

Chopped pork loin or chops.
Fried rice!

Last edited:
That’s a hearty dish, looks satisfying and filling. I bet it would make a good burrito filling or add egg for a breakfast burrito.

Leftovers? What leftovers!? J/K

Since I mostly smoke for the two of us and hate to waste food, a vacuum sealer is my friend.

Pulled pork, shredded chuck or chicken gets saved for another meal or repurposed into tacos and nachos. Pulled pork with mango salsa is a common leftover dish here.

Meatloaf
Patty melts. Sliced meatloaf with caramelized onions and melted cheese (usually smoked swiss) inside toasted rye bread.

Smoked chicken/turkey and turkey roast
I usually only serve the white meat for dinner. The leftover dark meat gets mixed with chopped pickle, mayo and black pepper and repurposed into chicken/turkey salad served on toasted wheat or pretzel rolls for lunches the rest of the week.

Pastrami
If I’m not making Reubens, I’ll cube the rest of the pastrami up and freeze for pastrami hash. I hate when hash is the consistency of dog food...so I will reheat the pastrami cubes in a pan, remove and set aside.
Add oil, butter or bacon grease and add sliced potatoes and cook for a bit.

Add diced poblano and onions cook some more.

Add chopped garlic at the end so it doesn’t burn.

Return pastrami to the pan and season if desired.

Serve pastrami hash topped with a sunny side up egg.
D4E600E4-F24F-45CA-B346-EB8206F229FF.jpeg

With leftover double smoked ham I either make ham salad or pea soup. With pulled pork I sometimes use it in fatties. Brisket is added to chili or hash.

Chris

Depending on the leftovers I often keep them whole. As fall rolls around I will smoke a couple extra briskets for winter. Once they are done I cut them in half, vacuum pack them and freeze them. Around 10 a.m. on Christmas eve I drop a half into the crock pot set it to low and we have sliced brisket sandwiches Christmas eve. Nice in January and February as well.

Same thing with a pork but and ribs. A slow warm in the crock pot and you can't tell that they just came off the smoker. For the ribs I will put them under the broiler for a minute or so to crisp the bark.

With a partial leftover like pork butt, pulled pork tacos or enchiladas are excellent. I will usually chop up about about 3/4 of a pound of brisket and add it to my bottom round when I grind my own for burgers. I do a 5.5 oz burger and the brisket as a whole new dimension to the flavor. It as well as some ground up pulled pork is excellent in three meat meat loaf.

Great thread Chile!! Always great to get new ideas for using leftovers. Here are a couple of our favorites.

Brisket nachos
Brisket Nachos 010.jpg

Pulled pork stuffed baked taters.
IMG_20180420_175045.jpg

We also do some soups with left over pork loin and turkey but these are our go-to meals when doling out the left overs. She prefers the taters, I prefer the nachos but either of us is ok with either.

Heading to the freezer. Some of this stuff looks REALLY good!!
Robert

This thread inspired me. A few days ago, I smoked some dried venison according to Bearcarver's instructions. The ends of each piece I sliced off with a knife to make slicing with the slicer easier, but I didn't want to waste them.

This morning's breakfast was a hash of crumbled tater tots. diced peppers, and some pieces of those ends with a sunny side egg on top. It was one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. JC in GB made me think about this with his post earlier.

7 Adults in the House... Leftover Q is rare and that won't likely see Daylight. My Wife has to Grab and Stash away a portion of whatever for the Breakfast Hash Burritos I LOVE!...JJ

Reactions: chilerelleno
7 Adults in the House...
I know her pain, as I'm generally cooking for five adults and two sassy midgets.
Takes a lot of food to feed everyone and have leftovers, so mine are usually done with intent.
I cook on most Saturdays, I want leftovers for Sunday and work meals Monday and Tuesday, so I just about go half again or double my needs.

Last edited:
Gonna make 8 pounds of Carnitas today...Most put minimum toppings so they load up the meat! They will kill 90% at supper. Saturday night = late night. The rest will be gone by morning. What happened to Kids Leaving the Nest at 18???...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky