Favorite beer while smoking and/or eating BBQ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I try to avoid posting in this thread at least 3 times a week out of fear of what you fellas will think of me lol

Nothing to be ashamed of man. I love sour beers. Not sure what all you can get your hands on up there(probably some pretty good stuff) but here are a few I've bought in recent weeks and favorites. A lot of good stuff coming out of Georgia.
Sb3.jpg

Sb4.jpg

Sb1.jpg

Sb2.jpg

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
That saparous looks pretty straight.

That destihl isn't too far from me. We get distro up here on their stuff anyways. I've heard about Florida being a destination for sours. If you're a serious sour guy, I'd like to draw your name in a two man secret santa this year.

You keep an untappd acct updated by chance?

Some recents anyways in the canned sour category:

20190802_194021.jpg

I'm not a coffee guy but this one was so interesting I couldn't help but really enjoy it. Also check out "Wa Was Zat" by the same company.

20190713_141654.jpg

20190628_220207.jpg some more by these speciations guys. I'm sure that these don't get sold out of state.

Honestly I don't end up taking a bunch of pictures of all of them these days, been logging everything on untappd for the last few months best I could. I'm at about 275 beers in the last 3 mos or so.

I could discuss this stuff all day lol. Smoking and craft are my two hobbies!

I'm always looking for new UnTapped contacts. Feel free to add me: TimmysTallTaleTavern

I love drinking/talking beer and now that PA has finally relaxed its archaic bottle shop laws, I've been able to get some really great stuff. Also, there are tons on microbreweries popping up around me, so there's starting to be some great selection.

That saparous looks pretty straight.

That destihl isn't too far from me. We get distro up here on their stuff anyways. I've heard about Florida being a destination for sours. If you're a serious sour guy, I'd like to draw your name in a two man secret santa this year.

You keep an untappd acct updated by chance?

Some recents anyways in the canned sour category:

View attachment 402410

I'm not a coffee guy but this one was so interesting I couldn't help but really enjoy it. Also check out "Wa Was Zat" by the same company.

View attachment 402411

View attachment 402412 some more by these speciations guys. I'm sure that these don't get sold out of state.

Honestly I don't end up taking a bunch of pictures of all of them these days, been logging everything on untappd for the last few months best I could. I'm at about 275 beers in the last 3 mos or so.

I could discuss this stuff all day lol. Smoking and craft are my two hobbies!

That coffee sour looks interesting. I don't have an untapped account but am going to check it out. Yeah we for sure need to get a beer swap going on or something of the sort. Exchange 6 packs of local stuff.

All this talk had me thinking so I went out to my beer fridge last night to rummage around and pulled out some other ones I had on hand.
SB5.jpg

SB7.jpg

SB6.jpg

The three taverns beers are by far the best ones I've had IMO. They are out of GA and can only buy it down there. Luckily I'm only about an hour and 20 min from the GA state line and have some family down there so I load up when I go down.

Like you said could discuss beer, smoking meat, and football all day. Too bad family, work, bills, etc....get in the way of all the fun!

We've got micro-brewed beers that sell for 10.00+ a bottle around here. I can get a 12 pack of PBR's or Narragansett pounders for that.

Chris

Well to each their own. I'll pay 40.00 for the right bomber of the right stuff. I think of it like buying wine. That eases the purchase pain somewhat :-)

Damnit VOL! Now I'm going to my cellars to take pictures! I'm trying to make sauces today lol

Ok, here's some selections I grabbed on the quick for this discussion :-)

20190807_110955.jpg

From the left:

Boss Tweed by Old Nation. A GREAT double NEIPA. Just a pure drinker. 9. Something percent. Yum.

Larry's Latest Fruit Flight by Bells Brewing. Another one I bought multiple cases of this winter. Nice and tart, not too overbearing, which is good sometimes..a good pallet cleanser as well when cooking/tasting.

Batch 034 by Nowhere in Particular. These guys are out of Ohio. If you ever see anything by them, I suggest picking it up. They claim to never make the same beer twice and everything they make is worth your money to try, especially if your local store will let you cut up 4 packs and make singles.

The Implication by Oddside. Fantastic triple IPA. You'd never know it. Not bitter, a good bit of sweet. Year another winner by Oddside who have had a great run the last few years putting out championship level product.

Watermelon Cucumber Gose by elk brewing. These guys are smaller, they put out a few of these combo goses last and this year. Pretty solid beer.

Professor Nutterbutters. By One Well. These guys have no distribution. I have no idea why. They're creative, solid beers that I have to drive 2 hours to buy because they only sell in house.

The third elf by Dark horse. This one was good, but sorta just meh.

20190807_111101.jpg

Cherry Jane by Languanitas. This was my vote for beer of the year 2018. So good. I didn't see it in shelves this year and I've only got 3 bottles left of the 4 cases I bought last year. Boooooo.

Green Zebra by Founders. This one is great, especially for the price. It's about a dollar per beer. Yum.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Scotty Karate by Dark Horse. What a slugger. Regular Scotty isn't too bad, but this BBA version is hands down the best scotch ale I've ever had. They made an amaretto version too that was to die for.

Glasgow smile. I've yet to try this one.

the first elf by Dark horse. Another miss. This whole elf series was very underwhelming IMHO.

FLOAD by Bells. Oh. My. God. It so good. May end up being my 2019 beer of the year.

Bug zapper by Avery. This is a great little beer too. The picture cuts off the word "mint" so it's like zest, ginger, and mint. Really great find

20190807_111215.jpg

Hopslam by Bells. If you can find it (I doubt it) they brew it for one week in January. Then it's up to you to get it. Usually stores have waiting lists a mile long. That's why I drive to bells every winter to pick up my stash lol.

The two cans of prairie. Good, but forgettable.

Fruitsicle by Oddside. They had a bunch of flavors of this. They're all rock solid!

BO and Luke. I've yet to try this one too, but it was 40.00 so I'm hoping for the best!

Cafe deal bastardo. Another one yet to be opened.

Strawberry guava sour by central Waters yum, yum, yum.

20190807_111219.jpg

Moar hopslam :-) shouldn't really be aging it, but you can only drink so many kegs in a year of a 10% beer.

20190807_111544.jpg

Smoked blueberry cider. My brother brought this from Illinois. Haven't had it yet. Gonna he great or it's gonna be awful. Will update in two weeks!

Knickerbocker barrel aged gin. On site distillery. 2nd best gin I've ever had. Guess who makes the first best one. Them lol. I'm just out atm.

Weirbacher riserva (2016) these are amazing. I've got various years of this aging. They only get better with time.

New Holland incorrigible. Killer white sour

HabitantiEspirutu by jolly pumpkin. These guys are wild with everything they do. Not all are winner but all are interesting!

Indra kunindra by ballast point. This is perhaps the most interesting beer I own. It tastes like the most amazing curry you've ever had. Just a knockout. This one is a few years old. Prob age it another few.

Maple oak dragons milk reserve. Haven't had this one yet, but all the other "reserve" series in the dragon milk line are great. Even flagship dragons milk is no slouch.

Straight outta tha wood Wild ale and Sour brown. The wild ale I've had. Tastes like sour and wood. If you don't do sours that doesn't sound good, but if you do, you know how good that is.

Terrapin gose. I'm sure this one is just another gose, but hey, it was free.

20190807_112031.jpg

White wine barrel aged sour wench by ballast point. This is a classy girl. Sour beer meets white wine. Hell of an intersection!!

Whiskey barrel aged Cherry Stout by Bells. 35.00 a 4 pk. Very good. Aging this one.

Cinnamon roll by southern tier. If you like cinnamon like I do, this one is a winner for sure.

nut Bandit by Oddside. A true hazel nut brown. Yum, yum, yum. I love nut beer, spruce beer, all that kind of stuff.

Prarie grass series by Bells. This is the 2nd in the series. A plum sour. Not too shabby at all.

Duchesses cherry. This is an import. Flemish I believe? Tastes like montmorency cherries in a bottle. Living in Michigan, we have a particular confess for that type of cherry.

20190807_112110.jpg

Here gose nuthin by destihl. One of many flavors in their wild sour series. They're all damn good, this one is my favorite.

M43 tart strawberry by old Nation. A limited release version of their wildly popular m43 NEIPA. TBH, we had this on draft at the brewery and it was a showstopper. It def loses something in the can. Had to shake down 6 of my craft beer store contacts to find a case of it. But isn't the hunt just as fun as the kill?

Xalapa by one well. Their flagship beer. A jalapeno blond. Killer beer with smoked meat.

Peachy pom pom by shorts. Awesome peach sour. Those can be hard to find.

Raspberry hibiscus dragons milk reserve. This one would be awesome if all the others in the series weren't even more awesome lol.

Banana coconut dragons milk reserve. The number one (IMHO) beer in this series. Just perfection. Gets better as it warms. They almost had to carry me out of the brewery after a long night finished off by this one.

Internet dating by shorts. Another cucumber killer. Had this at a tap takeover featuring test brews last year and had to wait 8 months for them to bottle it!

20190807_112316.jpg
Finally a couple out of an aging area I keep. The riserva is a 2015 as is the smoked Porter. This is my 2015 box. I have some of those smoked Porter's dating as far back as 2005. They really don't hit their shine until about 10 years. I'm gonna open one of the 05s next year at 15 years, I'll have 2 left after that. Gonna do 20 then finally 25 years. Can't wait.

Ok, WHEW. I'm going to stop now. My thumbs are a bit tired. More at some point later!!

I'm always looking for new UnTapped contacts. Feel free to add me: TimmysTallTaleTavern

I love drinking/talking beer and now that PA has finally relaxed its archaic bottle shop laws, I've been able to get some really great stuff. Also, there are tons on microbreweries popping up around me, so there's starting to be some great selection.

Added! (My name is fivetricks on there as well)

Ok, WHEW. I'm going to stop now. My thumbs are a bit tired. More at some point later!!

Damn man I'm impressed! Hell of a collection you got there! Im gonna have to get on the ball and start building up my inventory. I drink all kinds of other domestic beers too because hey can only buy so many $12+ 6 packs lol. The grocery stores and liquor stores around here are starting to carry more stuff and bigger selections which is nice although I've only seen a couple you posted around this area.

Do you guys have ABC stores down there or like total wine or something similar? I'm not sure how TEN handles beer sales.

Also; the inventory is quite down atm atm don't get me wrong. I smash way more Coors banquets and even keystone ices than I do craft. After all, we cant drink craft all the time. Hell I'd be broke!

Do you guys have ABC stores down there or like total wine or something similar? I'm not sure how TEN handles beer sales.

Also; the inventory is quite down atm atm don't get me wrong. I smash way more Coors banquets and even keystone ices than I do craft. After all, we cant drink craft all the time. Hell I'd be broke!

We have a Total Wine that's about 30 minutes from my house...been open a couple years. Hate to admit I have never been there. Need to get over there one weekend. Just polished off a case of miller light yesterday guess I gotta stop on my way home today and re-stock!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky