Fat Ratio.... This could get interesting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimalbert

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Lehighton, PA
OK... So when I butcher my deer, I never leave anything whole.  Bascially what I do is grind everything except the back straps, tenderloins, and occasionally I cut a few steaks from the eye round of the quarters.  The rest gets ground into a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio.  For example, 9 pounds of completely lean ground vension would get 3 pounds of 73/27 coarse ground beef and then get a fine grind when mixed together.  I cant exactly say that is a 70/30 ratio like many  people use for summer sausage or beef sticks.  Anyone have any idea what it the meat to fat ratio would actually be?  I was assuming more like 85/15.  I am planning to do a bunch of summer sausage and just want to make sure there is enough fat there.  If not I will add pork fat or shoulder to compensate.

My initial thought was 7.5 pounds of the finished venison I described above and 2.5 pounds of shoulder should get me close to the proper fat content for summer sausage.

Thanks,

Jim

Yea.. when I actually did the math it was pretty close to that.  Just say I started with roughly 30 pounds of lean cut venision and added 10 pounds of 73/27.  so that was aprox. 30+8.4 of meat versus 3.6 pounds of fat for a grand total of 9.4% fat.

So in the future I can basically say that I have 10% fat in my beef and I need to add 10-20% more pure fat to get to the goal.  everything I have for sausage or sticks is in 5 pound batches so I basically have a half pound of pure fat in my 5 pound packages.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky