Fat Back and Salt Pork question Salt Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyb54

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
53FDA668-0C6C-40B1-AE82-C4F6D3D8F8E3.jpeg
I have been reading Stanley Marianski’s book, Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages. Normally if I add fat to may sausage I use belly or left over trimmings from pork butts. In Marianski’s book as he’s talking about fatback he explains how Salt Pork is made. At the end of the paragraph he says belly and fat back are the best type of fat to use in sausages. My question is can I use Salt Pork for additional fat in sausage? Thanks.

If you use salt pork you are going to end up with too much salt in your sausage.
I just use pork butts, I look for one with a nice fat cap & without adding any other fat to the sausage, the meat to fat ratio seems about right. But I'm no sausage expert, I'm sure others will chime in soon.
Al

In addition to being salty salt pork is dryer than fresh fatback/belly. It will be felt in the end product.

Unless used it for flacour i would stick to fresh fat/belly.

If you use salt pork you are going to end up with too much salt in your sausage.
I just use pork butts, I look for one with a nice fat cap & without adding any other fat to the sausage, the meat to fat ratio seems about right. But I'm no sausage expert, I'm sure others will chime in soon.
Al
Thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky